Lovely friendly ginger tomcat in East... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

the Cat Chat Feline Forum » Cat Rescue & Re-homing » Archive through July 22, 2013 » Lovely friendly ginger tomcat in East London « Previous Next »

Chris McClelland (Prophet36)
New Cat Chatter
Username: Prophet36

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Thanks for the advice, Ria!

When I took him to his new home he was initially a bit stressed after a long car journey. We let him look around his new bonding room, and he found a nice hiding-place under a bed. Within about an hour he came out, ate some food, drank some water, then fell asleep leaning against the warm leg of one of his new humans!

I did make it very clear that there is absolutely no shame in admitting it if things don't work out and I have to take him back. Cat/human relationships are just like human/human relationships - sometimes (through no fault of the participants) they just don't work out.

Thankfully it seems like that will not be necessary - by all accounts he has settled in remarkably well, given his turbulent past. He was allowed out of the bonding room to explore the rest of the house after several days and has now taken possession of the property, as is right and proper. He comes to greet his humans when they return from work (you know, that thing they do in order to be able to buy cat food and litter, and pay vet bills).

On another note, my house is now a much calmer place. Whilst Jonesy was never aggressive (to humans or other cats), his presence was only ever grudgingly tolerated at best by my other four cats. Since he has been rehomed, the others have calmed down enormously, and the previously pervasive smell of Jonesy and Nero's spraying contests is thankfully a thing of the past.

It was a lot of work, taking in and caring for a stray cat like Jonesy and ultimately rehoming him. But ultimately it has been a very rewarding experience.

Chris
Ria (Meriad)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Meriad

Post Number: 11640

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Chris, what fantastic news that you've found a home for Jonesy. I think your list pretty much covers the basics. Maybe print this out or guide the new owners to the link: http://www.catchat.org/bonding.html

And best is that he's going to friends so you can stay in touch and know how he's doing.

The only other thing I would do if at all possible and if you're up for it; is to make sure that should things not work out for whatever reason you are the first person to be told.

:-) Good luck to Jonesy and his new slaves :-)
Jenny (Tigerlillymommie)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Tigerlillymommie

Post Number: 281

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Chris we have a huge intact ginger Tom who visits our garden and is definitely a stray. He's currently curled up asleep under a bush in my garden and its peeling down love him. I love the name you have given yours and I'm gonna steal it for ours lol! I loved that film and this is one tough dude so the name suits very well. We feed him whenever he comes to visit but now I'm thinking maybe we should try and get him to the vet to check for a chip, he's a lovely friendly boy I'd love to find him a home as well. Good luck with your homing xx
New Cat Chatter

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Just a quick note to say that we have now hopefully found Jonesy a good home with one of our friends, who has been very excited about the whole thing, and full of cat questions for us!

There's still the home visit to do on Saturday, but I don't expect any show-stoppers there. This is the home-visit check-list I can think of off the top of my head, is there anything crucial missing?
* Ensure house and garden are cat-safe. 
* Give advice about potential hazards:
* Open chimneys.
* Roads.
* Toxic household chemicals & house-plants.
* Chewable electric cables.
* Worming and flea-treatment schedule.
* Vaccination, health-check and microchip registration.
* Establishing initial core territory where the cat feels safe.
* Bonding with humans.
* What to do (and quickly!) if a cat goes missing.
* Easy-release collar advice.
* Holiday/boarding advice.
Thanks to everyone who has read this thread and commented. If all goes well, in a month or two I'll get some photos of Jonesy after he has settled into his new home. I will miss the little tinker, but for this story I can see a happy ending in sight!

Chris
New Cat Chatter

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Kay - I told him it said, "world's toughest tomcat" and he seems to have bought it. But shhh, don't let on!

Jackie - good luck with your stray. There's a different local stray "Whiskers" who bothers my cats too. He's about as different from Jonesy as can be. That'll probably be my next cat project - trying to get Whiskers neutered. There's little hope of re-homing him though because he's pretty much feral. Getting him in a cat-box will be no mean feat.

Jane - No worries, I'm sure someone will take him. Tell your friends! I too love ginger cats; they remind me of the cat we had when I was a kid. I was a horrible brat to him but he slept on my bed nonetheless.

Chris

(Message edited by prophet36 on June 18, 2013)

(Message edited by prophet36 on June 18, 2013)
Jane B (Tomsnowboo)
Returning Cat Chatter
Username: Tomsnowboo

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Pity I didn't know about this cat before I found my recent rescue as I adore gingers. I would have gladly taken him on as a companion for my male cat. Good luck finding him a home.
Jackie (Jacks)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Jacks

Post Number: 423

Posted on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oh my, he's gorgeous! They do seem to instinctively gravitate towards those that will help them! I've got 3 girls and trying to trap an aggressive stray male who desperately wants to come in to the warm but keeps attacking mine; I hope he responds this well to neutering (if he hasn't been done, of course).

Good luck finding him a home - he looks like he's made himself really comfortable!
Kay (Cushty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Cushty

Post Number: 2830

Posted on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

can't help, I'm afraid, but just had to say what a lovely photo of a handsome cat

not sure 'Pretty in Pink' would do much for his street cred though, so it's a good job it looks as if his street days are over
New Cat Chatter

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

That's good advice, Ria. Thanks!

Don't worry, I fully intend to do my own home-check with any potential new owners/fosterers.

Chris
Ria (Meriad)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Meriad

Post Number: 11577

Posted on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

oh he is gorgeous and you and your girlfriend are superstars for looking after him as you are and best of all for getting him neutered.

Have you tried a few shelters further out of London; they may be able to help. Alternatively ask the rescues that you have contacted if they could at least advertise him on their rehoming pages as a direct rehoming, ie Jonesy goes from your house straight to a new house; but the rescues will have done a home check etc which is vital.

And I assume you don't need telling, but please don't advertise him anywhere esp GumTree as 'Free to good home'; there sadly are too many sick people out there who will gladly take him off your hands to use for dog fighting :-(.

In the meantime whilst you're looking for a home; not sure what you're feeding your lot now, but Butchers Classic is a very good wet food and very very reasonably priced; just under 3.00 for 6 cans.

Well done again and I really hope you find a home soon.
New Cat Chatter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

My girlfriend and I have been looking after a lovely stray tomcat for several weeks. We have named him Jonesy, after the similar-looking cat in Alien.

Here he is: http://makestuff.eu/jonesy

Unfortunately we already have four rescue cats of our own (one from Cats Protection, a mother/daughter pair from Celia Hammond and a lovely stray tomcat who just turned up one day and decided he owned us!). We just don't have the resources to give a good home to another cat, but Jonesy has decided he wants to live with us nevertheless.

I'd love to find him a good home. I had him neutered last week. He is unchipped and roughly two years old. He is very friendly and affectionate. He gets on fairly well with other cats, and has never shown any sign of aggression. I was able to give him a Drontal de-worming tablet recently without any trouble!

I tried calling various London shelters and all are full, and suggest I try to re-home him myself.

Any advice gratefully received!

Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration