New cat hiding hasn't eaten in 2 days... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

the Cat Chat Feline Forum » Cat Health & Behaviour » Archive through July 9, 2013 » New cat hiding hasn't eaten in 2 days no litter use « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        
Archive through May 16, 2013Bonnie Soderqvist (B30 5-16-13  9:46 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Sarah (Sarahkay)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Sarahkay

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2013 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Yey! Bonnie - how lovely to see you and your gorgeous boy looking so happy together. Those early days must seem so long ago, and how you have been rewarded for your love and patience with darling Oreo Joe. And he loves his mom sooo much! Thank you, Roger, for taking the photo. We needed to see lovely Bonnie as well as OJ by now! The Gotcha party is a great idea!xx
Penny (Andtiggertoo)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Andtiggertoo

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2013 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Awww.He's beautiful, Bonnie.
Bonnie Soderqvist (Bonnie)
Frequent Cat Chatter
Username: Bonnie

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, July 5, 2013 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Ahh the little man runs and plays and we have mice and bows and toys everywhere. I put a tiny mouse on his scratching posts and he stops and looks and WHACK like a golfer and the pink mouse goes whizzing across the floor. He follows me and guards me. I go from my sitting room to the kitchen and there he is hiding under the chair that he needs to be placed there and he watches me. I move to the pantry and he is right there watching me. He tells me that eventually, because he has an American Mom he will join the CIA and do things like guarding people sometimes so he is practicing. Right now he is at a Virtual Gotcha party in Florida. Gotcha parties are held on the day your furever family Gotcha and brought you home. The party lasts for days and there is every kind of food and treats and toys. He is playing with DaBird since I can't find one. He is so sweet. I was in black yesterday so I put his favorite blanket on my chest and lap as a black cat doesn't show up on black shirts and black jeans. This morning at 4 I was up with pain and sat in my chair a few minutes and he was right on my lap. Cat rule #1 if a human is sitting down they have a warm lap that acts like cat furniture. I held him and took him to bed with me. First time. I laid down and laid him on my chest. My back had so much pain it was lovely to just lay there with this big warm singing boy on my chest. He snuggled right in and slept there about hour! Here is his picture. Mommy and Oreo Joe
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Wonderful! He is a fabulous boy. Can you ask Roger to take a picture of Oreo Joe sitting on your lap?!
SarahW (Baggypants)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Baggypants

Post Number: 540

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

That's a great photo!! Oreo Joe has got you wrapped around his paws already.
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Greenkitty

Post Number: 7657

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Awww, I just love reading his updates, he's doing so well you must be so proud of your lad :-)
Kay (Cushty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Cushty

Post Number: 2835

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

he does indeed look smug - are you sure he has not been ordering from Zooplus?

(Message edited by cushty on June 18, 2013)
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oh how neat that your girl is sleeping with you! Oreo has some fast changing moods. One day it looks like so much of his fear is gone and then next he hides with every move we make. But Oreo Joe believes that if I am sitting he is to be on my lap. On rare occasions he lays in the other chair or bed and stares at me. If I am in the kitchen he hides under a dining room chair that I have moved for him to hide under, and watches me. If I go to the bathroom this little black face peeks in to make sure I didn't go out the secret door.
He won't try sleeping with me yet but that is ok. He sleeps in my chair with a blanket on the seat.
He let Roger pick him up off my lap and cuddle him a bit today. Doesn't try to run when Roger comes in and he sees who it is. He plays with toys, he prefers just after I climb in bed and then picks the most noisy toy he can find.
Yesterday I guess he didn't like that I was trying to type from the arm of the chair so he moved to the area my arm is and put his paws on the mouse! He looked so smug!
Oreo Joe is learning the computer
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Thought of you last night, Bonnie! Our elderly girl adoptee who came to us in December slept on our bed for the first time last night! She was not going anywhere = absolutely settled. Charmingly she gave me a few little pats on the face and arm occasionally to make sure I knew she was still there. I don;t know what took her so long to spend the night with us, because she's not a shy girl. I will really look forward to hearing when Oreo Joe finally settles down for a full night's kip with you!
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oh, your gorgeous boy, Bonnie. He is getting used to being loved and to be able to show love back. What a darling. He is so handsome. That tail is awesome - it looks so thick! How wonderful for you, your OH and dear Oreo Joe. x
Jackie (Jacks)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Jacks

Post Number: 389

Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2013 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oh Bonnie what a wonderful update and pictures! I do like your comparison with the little children - yes, I guess it's the same for him but without being able to process the information around him in a complex way. You have won his heart - he is truly your Oreo Joe now, and his world is growing better and better every day.

I know what you mean about that feeling of the body on your feet - it's a sign of love and belonging and you wouldn't change it for the world!
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2013 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

This little boy of ours is making huge steps forward. I have been leaving the living room door open when I watch tv in the evening. He hasn't come in but last evening, after a day of cuddling, sitting in the 2 windows, laying in the sun and eating like crazy, he came in. I was so afraid he would scoot under the sofa again but he didn't. He explored every inch of the room. Up on chairs, climbed onto the back of the sofa and onto that window sill. He was in and out of everything and then walked on the sofa to the arm that is close to my chair and laid down on a big pillow there and stretched his sweet little paw out as an invite to scratch and pet him. Finally I pulled the pillow over and slipped him on my lap and he would have stayed there all night. After 2 hours I had to get up!! The night before he had hopped onto my bed 2 times while I was sleeping. Once by my head and he left right away and then once by my feet. After 19 years of sleeping with my feet wide apart for either the cat or dog to sleep I still do. Of course all 150 pounds of him plopped down on my foot. He only stayed a couple of minutes. I was not going to move if it killed me! He still hides when I am walking around although he now follows and hides under the dining room table or chair and looks into the kitchen to see what I am doing. I love how curious he is. Actually he acts much like the 2 children we brought from a slum in a big city near us to spend a weekend at our home. They had never seen anything clean. They couldn't believe how it felt to stand on a carpet or sit on a soft clean chair. They asked if they had to shake out their bedding before going to sleep to get the roaches out. Everything amazed them and they touched and looked at everything.
So I am posting a picture of him looking out the window. Well looking at me at that moment. He was so scared he'd hide for hours after I showed him out the window a week ago. Hugs to all and head butts and scritches to your kitties. Oreo Joe in the window 1st time.
Rachel Johnson (Loopy)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Loopy

Post Number: 441

Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2013 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Bonnie. I just love reading your updates. So glad Oreo Joe is doing so well. Give him lots of fusses from me :-)
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2013 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Hello Bonnie, that is a lovely update. Oreo Joe is such a character! Has he thought any more about sleeping on your bed at night? x
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2013 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oreo Joe is getting bolder by the hour. He runs and plays and bats mice around and balls go rolling. My floor now looks like a child's toy room but for cats. An entire herd of mice and toys are strewn everywhere. He comes and checks me in the bathroom almost every time. He now sits in the windows sunning himself. Uses the scratching post like you wouldn't believe. He lays on my bed and washes himself and dozes. If I leave my chair to long he lays in that. Today I sat and sewed until my back hurt to bad to sit and sewed in several pair of jeans. Thank God I now have some that are not falling off me. The pair I sewed in a few days ago I need to sew in more they still are to big. I haven't lost inches though.
But since Jan 15th I have lost 5.1 inches in my waist. Hee hee
Anyway while I sat and sewed Oreo often sat in the door way to watch and sometimes raced through the DR into the kitchen to have a good poke around. I went into the LR for something and when I came back out I almost smashed him with the door he was ready to go in there or had a glass against the door to see if he could hear what I was doing.
He still runs about 65% of the time when I stand or walk and other times he just carefully watches and stays where he is. He lays on the part of the scratching post that has that box with the hole in it. He lays on the top of that box. That way he can quickly go to the window or under the bed and he knows I can't see him. Lol
I wish it would work out in the living room. I don't want to chase him out from under furniture with the dust mop each time.
Bonnie and Oreo Joe who has his head under my pillow on my bed to see what is there!
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2013 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

What's your lovely boy been up to this week, Bonnie?
Kay (Cushty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 2777

Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

oops! but the pooping on the sofa may have been the result of his trying to keep it in for so long, rather than a sign he is not going to use his litter box- fingers crossed it was a one off

I believe you can buy a spray which shows up urine - in the UK anyway - though I don't know the name, as touch wood my three have never had an indoor accident
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Well I picked Oreo Joe up and he was fine coming back to the other of the house. I closed the door to the Living room and he was on my lap a couple of times already and he looked in his litter box but never went! I said to Roger I was afraid he had just decided he was staying in the LR and was going places in the 2 rooms rather than come to the box. Well Roger always needs a nap in the afternoon since he had a heart attack. He came said he was going to lay on the sofa and returned looking sick and said Oreo Joe pooped on the sofa a big pile! I went and cleaned it up and washed it good and said then I need to start checking for where he peed or he will go there again. Roger walked around 2 minutes and said Nope hasn't peed anywhere. I pointed out that since it wasn't fluorescent it would take using a cloth on my small mop and rubbing it over the floors under furniture etc since he couldn't possibly have done that in his search. I will have to do that tomorrow. My back won't let me today. So for a very long time Oreo Joe will be not allowed in the living rooms. We had thought while we were with him would be ok but he wanders in the second room and we have no doors there and goodness knows what he is doing or where. I spend most of the day with him but we do watch tv movies and I tape a few programs I like to see so he is just going to have to be alone then. Ahh I hear digging in the litter box. He needs to learn to live and be feeling safe in this of the house and then we will try short periods with us watching closely. Was a disappointing thing since No one moves around here at night and he could have come in anytime to use the box. I think he just thought it was cool to stay in there! When he lays in my room under chairs he has 1 chair and under the bed, both fixed with soft fleece blankets but he choses the chair that he can't see us in the room. Now he keeps coming to me to be picked up today. I think he missed us as we were only in the living room about 4 hours a day. He is checking out his cat tunnel. lol
Kay (Cushty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 2774

Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

sounds to me as if he craves human company, and just wants to be in the same room as you, even if it is just to sit quietly on his own and watch you - and his acting frightened when you enter the room is probably just until he realises who it is

can you put his food and litter box just outside the living room door, and move them gradually back towards the room you want to keep them in? if you take him out of the L.R. and shut him out he may think that is a good reason for him not to risk leaving the room voluntarily
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Special Cat Chatter

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Hello Bonnie. Your boy is such a tease - he is testing everything out and seeing how you respond. It is stressful when they won't go to the loo. You will them to do so. Good idea to give him no option later today! He is so beautiful and I love your stories. Wouldn't it be great to know what they are thinking! xx
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Well not happy dancing but it is ok I hope. Oreo Joe really wanted to be in the Living Room he was sniffing at the door and we decided to let him in. Well he considers it his new home and refuses to leave it! He went 1 days with no food and no water and no litter use so finally I took food and water in the living room. He ate 1 cup of food, served in 1/4 cup servings with water added to give him enough fluids. He never touched his water container and it is big so whiskers don't touch the sides. He never left the living room and a front room for anything. He acts scared to death at times when we walk in the room and other times yawns and acts like it is just fine. He did come to me to be held on my lap 2 times while we watched tv. Coaxed by his vitamin tablets. He slept in the rocking chair and at times went down and quietly went under the coffee table and patted Roger's feet! No claws. But as of this morning he has NOT used the litter box at all since the morning of the 28th. This can hurt his kidneys and certainly will make him constipated. We decided he will have until tonight and if he hasn't come into my room and used the box I will lure him onto my lap and I will carry him out of the room and we will again close the living room door. Yesterday he spent hours in the little furry box with a hole in it that is the bottom base of his scratching post. He peeks his little black face out and lays with his white paws sticking out!! Roger took a pic and it looked great but now is not on the memory card! We will allow him in the L:R with us but before we leave I will get him on my lap and again close the door until he learns to go back and forth. We have to keep the litter box in my room as we are having a special screen door made to fit that doorway so he has no chance of getting outside with the grandchildren come. We do not have doors on most rooms they were gone when we bought the house. Our doorways are smaller so can't buy anything and sadly we do not have screen windows or screen doors in Sweden. My friend will make us one. We used a metal cage wire for the one closing off the front hallway so the cat couldn't sneak out and she will make one now the same for the bedroom but with a plastic cage material. The wire almost killed her! This cat is so loved and so darn cute then he pulls a stunt I am posting a picture so you can see that my back pain has been so bad I have not dusted in 2 weeks. But it also has our baby boy sitting under the chair. lol There is an antique metal basket filled with yarn balls and knitting needles stictly for show. Oreo Joe now is a part of the chair!!
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Special Cat Chatter

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oh how lovely Bonnie, your sweet boy is adorable! I can't wait to hear of the night when he sleeps on your bed! What a darling, he knows he is loved and his lucky he is! You are a wonderful mum to dear OJ. Xx
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oh I do come a dancing! My fat little boy seems to have stopped hiding out for 2 days at a time. He still hides under the 2 chairs or the bed in my room and he did play table leg yesterday but it was cause he was spying on us! He slinked out of the bedroom and went to peek in the bathroom to see what Roger was doing! He has done this to me too! Think he will potty train himself? My daughter's cat did! Honest now when one of the kids gets up to go upstairs to the bathroom he races ahead of them and jumps up on the potty and takes his sweet time. lol Last night when I was fixing our evening snack of nuked apples he peeked into the kitchen but when he saw me he was a table leg again. He comes to me several times a day to be held and loved. He purrs as soon as I pick him up and he is starting to play with dangly toys I hold for him and I see he has batted a ball around a little bit at night. I am finding lots more urine than the water I put in his food so he is drinking. I saw him take a little sip from the drinking fountain today. I see a $70 water fountain bill coming up since this is borrowed. He isn't eating lots but his food is high protein canned and that fills cats up more so with his massive over weight he doesn't need much. It will take a year for him to lose all he needs. He loves to lay on my lap with his head in my right hand and my left hand on his back. Hard to answer emails and I now watch tv series on the pc that we don't have in Sweden. He stood and looked up at my bed several times today I keep telling him it is really his bed. Goodness both our little dog and Cessan shared the bed with me for years and now they are in Heaven and the bed feels empty. He has come a long distance in trust in 5 weeks. Hugs to all.
Patricia Walker (2horsevillage)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: 2horsevillage

Post Number: 785

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Hi, I also say keep posting Bonnie. I like to read your updates.
SarahW (Baggypants)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 534

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oreo Joe sounds like he's a happy cat!!

If he likes playing perhaps try dragging a piece of string along the floor for him to chase? Or small rolled-up pieces of foil - mine love these. Or wine corks!! That reminds me I must buy another bottle so that the cats can have the cork!!!

We love to hear his progress - keep posting Bonnie!
Kay (Cushty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 2753

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

keep 'em coming Bonnie - the posters who are a nuisance are those who start an interesting story which hooks us all in, and then disappear!

it's common for a cat to give a new water fountain a wide berth at first - it was two weeks before all my three drank from mine - I think they need to be reassured this new monster is going to stay where it is and not attack them - but they all love it now, and I'm sure they all drink more because of it
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Special Cat Chatter

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Lovely to read your post Bonnie. I can't think you'd get into trouble - you are not taking space on the Forum away from anyone else! I check every day for your updates and want to give Oreo Joe the biggest kiss! When our old girl wasn't pooing much I added some olive oil to her food (much the same effect as linseed I imagine), but she was still not very regular so we now add Lactulose from the vet to her food, but I imagine the last thing OJ needs is a trip to the vet at the moment whilst he's settling in with Mummy. It sounds as if he is settling in bit by bit - he's wanting lap time, lets you do his claws (impressive!), playing a bit, eating a bit, loo-ing a bit. He is so lucky to have you with him so much, and loving him so much. We all love our babies, but he needs special loving! xx
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7531

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Please keep posting Bonnie, there's no rules about how often you post or the length of your posts. If you are finding it helpful we're hear to listen :-)
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

I fear I am turning this into a chat forum and will be banned soon! Thanks for all of the help and support! While our house looks big there is only 1 room that is big and that is because my bedroom was built over the top of a large underground garage that is useless as snow blows in the sloaping driveway that goes down and unless we shovel 4 feet of snow out every day we can't use it. But the previous owners did that mistake. I have that bedroom. It is large. I have 1/3 with my bed in it and I have a fairly large sitting area. Bookcases, 2 regular cushioned chairs and a recliner chair for me, my pc and bookcases etc. I think it is as big as our living room ( just the sitting area part) so Oreo Joe has me in this room all except for tv time with my husband and meal time. He is not left alone and lonely. Our bathroom can barely hold a litter box although now the box is next to the far side of my bed. Privacy for the big boy. Honest our bathrooms shower is so small we don't use it! It is like trying to shower in the back seat of a compact car. The old fashion way of filling the sink and putting a towel on the floor and scrubbing top to bottom with a wash cloth, so I had no place to have him stay in there, the shower holds a couple of pails and mops and some bathroom cleaning supplies and it is filled! So anyway the new water fountain is chugging away and this morning he looked at it from a foot away and walked away. Same with his cat milk bowl a look but close enough to smell and he was gone. Last evening he came out mewing softly and so so sad and I gave him a treat and one more closer to me and then picked him up. Of course he chooses late times just before I want to go to bed. I combed him, checked him for ear mites and fleas - both negative. Actually he let me clip all but 2 of his claws! Will get those later. Couldn't believe it he just laid there while I did it. He curled up on my lap and I had both hands on him and we fell asleep for at least an hour. Waking up around 11:30 pm. He didn't want to get down but when I put him down loving him the whole way he seemed confused that I would do it and then when I stood he hid. He doesn't like standing people. He has taken to hiding under one chair that has a plastic container under it that I pop gifts for the kids in as we buy them. There is 1/3 of the space open and there he hunches under on the floor. He did finally use the litter box but since he doesn't drink he had very little pee. Several small plum size pieces. He poo'd but as expected it was dry and hard. It was in him for 2 days of course it dried out. He drank the water from his food bowl leaving the food during the night and this morning since giving him fresh food and linseed in it and lots of water he has stood and eaten a very long time but only got about of the small serving down. He has come to me 2 times this morning and let me take him onto my lap. He hasn't figured out he can hop up which would be easier my goodness he is so heavy and so fat it is hard to get a nice hold on him to lift him. Poor boy. For the first time he ate one of his vitamin treats from my hand!! Before it has been laid on the floor. Also when he was in my lap I had a dangly toy with a bell in it and he lazily batted at it as I swung it over him as he laid on his back. He certainly trusts me when he lays on my lap if he shows his tummy! So just when I get impatient and think he will never come to me he does. He has gone into the dining room at night and played with 2 toys last night. His toy mouse is hiding somewhere. Am going to toss more toys on that floor today. Hubby came in and sat down and Oreo Joe walked around the room in front of him and walked past him and right under his legs to hide under the chair he was sitting in so progress is made there also. I send you all hugs and wonder if I dare write like this? Don't want to get in trouble.
SarahW (Baggypants)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 533

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oreo Joe looks very handsome - i love his little white gloved feet sticking out of his tux!!

Is it possible he's not hiding out of fear but just likes somewhere dark and hidden to sleep in? Its cold in my house over winter and I bought my cats igloo beds - they're all in the bedroom which is their safe room from when we moved house and had to settle them in - Jerry's is on top of the wardrobe where she especially feels safe and so when she's in there you can't see her at all!!

Perhaps you can block up the places he goes to hide but give him a covered box or something to retreat to? I've had to block the underneath of my bed because Bagheera thinks its a great game to play under there when I am trying to sleep - luckily I had some shoe-boxes and some holdalls of spare bedding I could use to stop her getting under there!
Patricia Walker (2horsevillage)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: 2horsevillage

Post Number: 782

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Hi, he looks lovely. Our Bella has her water bowl in the bath. Why not try that.
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Special Cat Chatter

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Dear Bonnie, that is exactly why Oreo JOe needs to be with you - because his story would put people off. You are giving him a chance when others wouldn't have done so and as long as you let him set the pace, as the other ladies on here have said, all will be well. He has already come to you for loving and he will again, more and more often. I hate it when our new girl hides under the study chair, but I have to appreciate that it is her safe place (having blocked up the bottom of the wardrobe, and taken out the front of the piano - at least it's easy to find her under the chair!). And our older girl, Pepsi, hissed and shot our her claws at me one day when I picked her up when she wasn't expecting it and all I could do was apologise to her because it was all my fault, not hers. And look at those gorgeous little legs and feet. He will be your loving boy in time and for now he needs you just to love him as he needs. XX
Kay (Cushty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 2745

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

I've had Tiffany for 11 years, but she is a total tigress when I want her to do something she doesn't want to do - like going in the carrier

she lashes out blindly, totally oblivious of the fact it's me she's hurting

if you leave Oreo Joe to come to you I think you, and he, will get along just fine - some of the way you are feeling stems, I suspect, from you still missing the loving, and easy, cat you had for so long, and this is very natural - but before you know it OJ will worm his way into your heart, in his own way
Jackie (Jacks)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 364

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Bonnie I do feel for you, especially as with your health problems you can ill afford to be crawling around after a cat.

Please don't despair. It sounds like Oreo Joe does want to be a lap cat, but if he's frightened he'll resort to teeth and claws like any wild animal. I think maybe the difference was that at first you moved the table and took him from his hiding place (so didn't allow him to come out when he felt confident). The second time he came to you, and was ready to be loved as he only approached you because he was confident.

We have an ex-feral girl who is a gentle, nervous little sweety, but I've made the mistake of picking her up when she wasn't in the mood or prepared and it was all tiger claws and some really deep puncture wounds. She was only doing what came naturally to her and if she's being soppy and affectionate she will tolerate being picked up just fine - for a brief period.

I do hope Oreo Joe starts to settle down soon though. Maybe if he's in a room on his own most of the time you could leave a radio on with human voices? It's one suggestion for rescue dogs who have been in kennels for too long - that and leaving a tape with your voice talking or reading quietly... Might work if you have that sort of equipment...
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7520

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Bonnie - I know you are disparing right now but look at it from Oreo Joe's point of view. Up until a month ago he'd spent the last 2 years in a cage with a companion, then he was taken away to a strange house with no companion with strange people and nothing he recognises. He didn't lash out you on purpose he was just frightened. He is making really good progress you just need to be patient and let him set the pace.

Love his dainty white toes, so cute :-)
Returning Cat Chatter

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oreo hid all day before yesterday and I found out he was going in the small opening that needed a board bought and put in place after the dish washer went in. I had forgotten about it. Cessan sometimes went in as mice can come from the basement but when I thought of it after he ran out it scared me as the infestation has gotten so huge poison has had to be put in the basement and in the pantry.
Anyway it went on till Yesterday when he was still hiding on the dining room chair seat. I pulled out the table and picked him up thinking I would hold and cuddle him till he calmed down. He turned into a tiger and not a tame one and tried to maul me. He is then went under the farthest top of my bed and refused to come out for his vitamin treats etc. I went to the Living Room and watched TV from 4 till 10 and ignored him. I came in the room and found he had moved to under the chair and ate his small dish of food. I gave him fresh, once again lots of water in it. He ate most of that and then came to me crying in the teeniest voice asking for a vitamin treat and scratches and I picked him up and he laid on my lap and purred and loved on me and stretched out so he could get a good combing. Finally at midnight I had to go to bed. He didn't want to get off my lap!
Today he is under the bed. Has eaten of his small dish of food and came out just far enough to have his head scratched and rubbed before he grabbed the vitamin and disappeared.
I was so happy to rescue him from a life in a cage but I am stressed and hurting so badly so many muscle spasms and seem to have a cat that swings from wanting to be held for hours on my lap and combed and scratched to one that acts like he has never seen a human in his life. He hides for hours and hours on end and when Cessan would have been in my arms when I had such pain he is being a pain. I wish we would have decided to wait for a baby from a spring litter. It would have been easier to have a kitten climbing up curtains than this guy. I know I could never return him but had I been told the truth about him he would not have been even looked at. Everything was a lie. That ticks me off.
We should have at least been given the entire truth and been allowed to decide knowing the truth. We already love him and of course I wouldn't return him now but he causes lots of stress. My friend lent us a water fountain to see if he will use it. If he does we will have to buy one. I bought cat milk but he won't drink it full strength or weakened. $2 for a small bottle. Wonder if I should start using it in my coffee. I do hate dumping that money down the sink! Little footsies Oreo Joe sticks his feet out from under the bed when he wants to be picked up. He has tiny feet but they look so huge when he stretches them out like that!!
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Hi Bonnie, how is the gorgeous Oreo Joe doing? x
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7496

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Oooh he's a handsome chap, very smart in his tuxedo :-)
Sarah (Sarahkay)
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Hello Bonnie. Oreo Joe is beautiful! He looks like my lovely Pepsi who is black and white in the same patterning and it makes me want to kiss him! I love hearing your on going narrative. Jackie's point about cat milk is a good one - it's fluid and nutrients. Why are cats so fussy about food? In the wild they couldn't be so pernickety so it has to be one of the ways they tell us who is boss!
Jackie (Jacks)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 345

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Sounds like he's establishing who is boss!! Having been in a cage for so long, living in a home is a huge adjustment. Give him time, he's getting to know his new territory.

Do try some diluted cat milk if you're concerned he's not drinking as given his weight that's more important than eating ;-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration