Any garden plants/herbs/flowers that ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

the Cat Chat Feline Forum » Cat Health & Behaviour » Archive through July 9, 2013 » Any garden plants/herbs/flowers that are a threat to cats health? « Previous Next »

Wiggins (Wiggins)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Wiggins

Post Number: 1019

Posted on Monday, July 1, 2013 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Sorry to hijack Suzanne, but does anybody know whether gladioli are poisonous?
Suzanne V (Suze77)
Frequent Cat Chatter
Username: Suze77

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Thanks again all. Such a wide range of help, advice and info on this forum from other users :-)

The pond is fabricated and quite high up but the previous owner left it in a dire mess, so much so that it reeked like sewage so I'm surprised anything lived in it all! The garden was also a jungle. After giving both a good clean up and out we've seen plants and flowers that weren't visible last year and now looks lovely. We did put some large flat rocks by one edge of the pond so that the newts could come and go - which I never knew they did! Very fascinating little things, you're right :-)
We just have to wait for the blooming roadworks to finish then we can start to introduce them outside. Almost 6 months of noise and delays now, absolute nightmare!
MarkB (Markb)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Markb

Post Number: 8043

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

It isn't just the pollen that is toxic http://www.noliliesforcats.com/site/view/169876_FAQ.pml

Having said that, we had Tiger Lilies growing here when we moved in and I didn't know about them being toxic for several years. When I did find out, I pulled them out. The following year more grew back so I had to dig up the roots/bulbs - it was quite hard as they are in clusters.

This is a good list http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/plants-kill-cat-poinsettas.htm
For years I thought Poinsettas were dangerous - but as this says, they are but only mildly. Tulips is a new one on me though.

When I stopped buying stargazers, I started buying tulips and chysanthemums instead - neither are great apparently but nowhere nearly as bad as Lily (onions, leeks and garlic are in the same family)
Ria (Meriad)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Meriad

Post Number: 11636

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

I agree with the others; I have a small pond in my garden and have never bothered covering it up. Cats can swim quite well. The only thing to make sure is that depending on the style of pond there is a way for them (and other creatures that may fall in such as mice, hedgehogs, etc) to get out. My pond has a very shallow edge lined with pebbles so anything can just walk out, but if the pond in your garden is one of these prefabricated ones you may need to put some bricks or something like a plank in there to help. But I suspect if you have newts (lucky you - they are fascinating creatures) then you have a fantastic wildlife pond going so please don't cover it up. You'd be surprised at just how much life that pond is supporting :-) absolutely fascinating

As for the plants - as Kay said; cats don't usually eat strange vegetation and the reason lily's are so toxic is because of the pollen. I've got all sorts of plants in my garden and the cats are just fine.
Suzanne V (Suze77)
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Thank you both, much appreciated :-)

We did have some sort of lily last year growing at the side of the pond, but dug it up as it wasn't doing very well so glad we did.

Like the idea of the oat grass, will def look into getting that incorporated somewhere close to the door.
MarkB (Markb)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Markb

Post Number: 8034

Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

My partner had a large carp pond and our 3 cats were fine. They used to lean right over to drink from it.

I agree with Kay - any part of any type of Lily can be lethal to cats.
Kay (Cushty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Cushty

Post Number: 2859

Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

I've had a cat fall into quite a deep pond, and she swam out quite easily, so I don't think drowning is likely

as for plants, apart from lilies, whose pollen is lethal and can easily be brushed off, I don't worry too much about them, as cats don't have a habit of eating strange vegetation - but I do grow a bed of oat grass outside for my cats, which means they don't go chewing on anything else
Suzanne V (Suze77)
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Wasn't really sure where to start this, here or just in general Cat Chat.

Along with our flat we inherited it's well stocked garden which before we got our two little furries, was great as all we have to do is maintain it.
But now comes the time where we soon want to introduce them to the outside but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any herbs/flowers or plants that could or are toxic to cats. We have allsorts, half of which I couldn't even name but there's all kinds of herbs, roses, hydrangeas, bushes, spiky bushes, dark red bushes, wild poppies, ivy....allsorts! Plus a pond which is the other dilemma, do we cover it or leave it? We know there are newts in there as we saw them last year but not the protected variety so I think these could be removed but after the breeding season has ended.
Thanks!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration