Vaccination side effect? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

the Cat Chat Feline Forum » Cat Health & Behaviour » Archive through August 29, 2013 » Vaccination side effect? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        
Archive through July 31, 2013Julia (Greenkitty)30 7-31-13  3:06 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Meandmymunki

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Elvis is fine, his lump has nearly gone now and he is a typical naughty 4 month old :-)
Thanks for asking.
Graham (Mr_frisky)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Mr_frisky

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Just had Tango back from her annual vaccination. Every year they get injected with the same stuff, but I've never really thought about what they are putting in them. They get Tricat Trio & FelV.

Some internet research has come up with this. May be of interest to some:

Tricat trio
Protects against feline panleucopaenia virus, feline calicivirus & feline herpesvirus.

feline panleucopaenia virus
Feline infectious enteritis, Feline distemper, feline ataxia, or cat plague, is a viral infection affecting cats, both domesticated and wild feline species. It is caused by feline parvovirus.

feline calicivirus
is a virus of the family Caliciviridae that causes disease in cats. It is one of the two important viral causes of respiratory infection in cats, the other being feline herpesvirus.

feline herpesvirus
Feline viral rhinotracheitis (FVR) is an upper respiratory or pulmonary infection of cats caused by feline herpesvirus 1, of the family Herpesviridae. It is also known as feline influenza, feline coryza, and feline pneumonia.

Felv
For active immunisation of healthy cats to prevent persistent feline leukaemia virus viraemia.

Feline leukemia virus (FeLV) is a retrovirus that infects cats. FeLV can be transmitted between infected cats when the transfer of saliva or nasal secretions is involved. If not defeated by the animalís immune system, the virus can be lethal. A disease caused by this virus is a form of cancer of the blood cells called lymphocytes (a leukaemia).
Wiggins (Wiggins)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Wiggins

Post Number: 1089

Posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

How is Elvis doing now Sally?
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Yes I still think it was more likely to be the felv part of it but still daren't repeat flu one without some kind of proof it wasn't that one just incase.
Hunny Bunny (Hunnybunny)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Hunnybunny

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Sally

Forcat just additionally includes Chlamydophila (Chlamydia) which manifests itself as conjunctivitis but it really did knock a large majority of kittens for 6 within hours of the jab so we stopped using it.

I have more concerns about the FeLV vaccine than the disease itself so won't vaccinate as routine and just advise new owners that they should do their homework and make an informed decision (without vet pressure)

We vaccinate 200-250 cats/kittens a year with Tricat and have to say have never had a reaction like your little one.
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

hunnybunny is the forcat just for flus and enteritis as opposed to felv as well?
I posted something at beginning of thjis post that I have NEVER had a cat vac against felv before, I always just do flu etc but this time I had a lot of cats at vet at once, its a fairly new vet who never asked and I forgot to say, so I was wondering big time about the felv part of it when he reacted as ive never trusted the vaccine since a cat I took in many many years ago came out in felv and died within weeks of vacs and my then vet said it was likely she was fighting off the virus from small exposure but the jab sent her over the edge...... never know but its all food for thought.
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

mmm, it was suggested by a nurse we try diff brand, my vet wants to use same again on him (think money) and another vet from a diff practice has said altho he may not react to diff brand, his reaction was bad enough to suggest he is one of the few that might be better not vaccinated....
But as a rescue with ill ones coming and going (obviously I isolate) but he is still at more risk than most.
I really don't know what to do!! any opinions/views welcomed.
Hunny Bunny (Hunnybunny)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Have to say that we use Tri cat with few issues but we did stop using Nobivac Forcat as it was making lots of kitts ill.
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

No I hadn't, it's nobivac tri cat.
Hunny Bunny (Hunnybunny)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 646
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Sally, what was the name of the vaccine. If you have already posted then sorry I'm just being lazy!!
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Update, got letter back from drug company still saying tough it happens, they will be getting a letter back saying that none of my cats rescue or personal will ever use their vaccines again. They said there is no blood test that will see what he reacted to and that future vaccines should be discussed with the vet. He was about as helpful as a chocolate teapot which only really leaves me with the option of contacting a new vet.
Kate (Maxinecat)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Maxinecat

Post Number: 1718

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

The Cinnamon Trust told me they wouldn't vaccinate my Aunt's cat. They use homeopathic remedies instead. And in the use of flea treatment, worms and medical issues!

Yet another reason why I complained to them. And yet another reason why I'm glad that poor old Hazel didn't actually end up with them!
Sarah (Camdengirl)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Camdengirl

Post Number: 4542

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Nowhere in my post do I state that all cats should be vaccinated annually. All I said on that score was that I don't believe that annual vaccination is "the largest cause of ill health in our pets". How often to vaccinate is not the issue I am concerned with here.

Homeopathy is not like Marmite. Marmite is a food spread that (aside from being very high in salt) is mostly harmless. Homeopathy has considerable potential to do harm if people believe it offers equivalent protection to vaccines. The pharmaceuticals industry spends billions a year on research and development, much of it without a successful outcome. It is naÔve to think that if homeopathy did offer any real clinical benefit it would not have been snapped up by the industry years ago.

And I already state it is up to pet owners to make up their own minds. But I think it's important people know what they are making their minds up about.
Lynn (Lynnw)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Lynnw

Post Number: 97

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

I am really happy that Elvis is making such a good recovery and is getting back to his old self. Well done Sally for taking such quick action. You must be very relieved.

Sarah.
Annual vaccination is no longer recommended. You can read the latest guidelines from WSAVA - link posted on another topic on this forum.
Homeopathy is like Marmite - people either love it or hate it.
It is an option. It is up to each individual to make up their own mind.
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Greenkitty

Post Number: 7901

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

I also feel quite strongly about this and wanted to share my experience. This isn't aimed at Sally, I know you have a different situation here but anyone who might come along and read this thread.

I'm living with the consequences of someone not vaccinating their cat. Hector has the Calici virus (one of the flu viruses) and it's had a devastating effect on his body. He takes 4 different medications every day and I know at some point these medications are going to lead to further health problems. I've never been able to have him vaccinated, he was never well enough and now his immune system is so fragile it could kill him but if this wasn't the case I wouldn't hesitate in having them done. Over the course of two years we were averaging a vet trip every 3 weeks, Hector would run and hide whenever I went anywhere near him, thinking he was going to the vet. It was heartbreaking.

As a result of whoever owned him originally not having him vaccinated his life has had to change, he was an ex stray so a very outdoorsy cat but he's now an indoor boy because it's just too risky to allow him out. We live with the flare ups of flu where we have a really stressful couple of weeks of steaming, syringe feeding and hydrating; each time itís a little bit worse than the last. Syringe feeding a grown cat is one of the most distressing things to do.

Whilst the vaccinations wouldnít have stopped him getting the flu his symptoms would be far less serious and much more manageable. So please do think carefully about your decision.

(Message edited by greenkitty on August 1, 2013)
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Sarah I do agree with the importance of vaccination and future little ones entering my rescue will continue to be vaccinated, however I won't put elvis' life in danger again in a little over 2 weeks time.
Allergies can so easily lead to anaphylactic shock and death and chances are any virus' would not endanger him to that extent.
I am cross that there is no help forthcoming from the drug company but also that as a rescue I have had to pay out hundreds to treat elvis for this, but allergic reactions to vaccinations in cts are as little as 1 in every 3000, elvis was unlucky as many reactions are much milder, so as said I will continue to vaccinate others but I feel it would be monumentally insane of me to give a cat a drug he is allergic to.
Sarah (Camdengirl)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Camdengirl

Post Number: 4541

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

I am glad Elvis has recovered well, I hope he is enjoying the sunshine today. I can understand your reluctance to vaccinate again, perhaps you could talk to your vet about whether a different vaccine might be safer for him?

I was trying to avoid weighing in on the vaccines debate here because I didn't want to distract from little Elvis's plight, but I am really concerned by the suggestion that homeopathy offers any kind of effective alternative to vaccination. Vaccines are not perfect, but without them many of us would not have made it to adulthood and many more would be disabled. Homeopathy has been shown in massive controlled studies to have no more effect than placebo; it has no scientific basis and mathematically it does not make sense.

There are risks of vaccinating, but much greater risks in not doing so. People have argued on here before that they have never vaccinated their cats and never had a problem Ė that is almost certainly because their cats are benefiting from the 'herd immunity' provided by other pet owners who do vaccinate. If enough people cease vaccinating, that effect begins to falter, as is evident from the recent measles epidemic in Swansea.

I am also concerned about the scaremongering on the CHC website flagged below, particularly the sentence 'the annual shots we give to our pets each year, in the belief that we are protecting them from disease, are actually the largest cause of ill health in our pets today'. Besides the fact that I don't believe this to be true, without vaccines we can be sure of what WOULD be the biggest cause of ill health: whole litters of kittens would die before they'd even lived of FIE and flu. It's easy to forget how dangerous and damaging diseases (such as measles) can be when we no longer see them around us. Cat flu and feline enteritis are not the minor ailments a lot of people seem to think they are, they can kill and they can leave cats with lifelong health problems.

Obviously what each pet owner chooses to do is up to them, but I think it's important that people know what it is that they are deciding on.
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Thanks Lynn I will look into it.
Lynn (Lynnw)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Lynnw

Post Number: 96

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

You can use homeopathic nosodes instead of vaccination. Contact Ainsorths for more info www.ainsworths.com they are very helpful.
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Vet wants to vacc him again, I've said as things stand at the mo I'm not risking it unless he can come up with something reliable to find out which he reacted to.
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7900

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Probably worth chatting it over with your vet.
Carol (Hrhfluffy)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Hrhfluffy

Post Number: 433

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

I agree with Marla.
Marla (Marla)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Marla

Post Number: 1573

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Personally, I wouldn't risk vaccinating him again.
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

My vet filled out form, drug company told vet that reactions are 50/50 and he could of reacted to either part so he may never react again, he may react to one part so if given again it would be split so we would know. They also said to give antihistamines before next vacc, but you know in the grand scheme of things all this stuff is costing an absolute fortune and putting his health at risk. I am a small rescue and so far what I have spent undoing the vacc damage would have spayed at least 5 cats.
Marla (Marla)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Marla

Post Number: 1572

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Did you fill out a drug reaction report? That would be better than a letter.

(Message edited by Marla on August 1, 2013)
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Drug company basically told my vet that its tough luck as its in their info that some animals will have drug sensitivities and said he should have 2nd vacc as benefits outweigh the risks, he nearly died so not sure if the benefits will outweigh the risks.
Plus in humans that are allergic the first time they have something is a mild reaction deciding the body doesn't like it and second time will be full blown reaction.
So I do plan on writing a letter to the drug company myself but still worry I'm leaving him wide open to flu by not vacc again.
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7896

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

Pleased to hear he's full of beans :-)
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

He is still a little tender at injection site but is full of beans otherwise and truly seems his normal self and even more cuddly and bitey/scratchy/needy than usual!
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7894

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post

How's wee Elvis this morning Sally?
Desley (Booktigger)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Booktigger

Post Number: 17053

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

MM, we had a vet do that this year, very frustrating. I had one that went off his food after vacs, was fine with his second though.
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

My neighbours English bull terrier had a reaction to the id chip, he was limping and had obvious pain for weeks in shoulder, turned out to be where chip had slipped and was grating on bone when he walked.
You think you doing the best for your animals and it still goes horribly wrong.......
I couldn't possible watch elvis go through that again so choice is to either never vaccinate again or blood test to see which bit of jab he reacted to but vet says that may not be 100% reliable so guess he gonna have to take his chances with flu.
MM (Moggiesmum)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Moggiesmum

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

I've had a few that have got the lethargy and lameness following the vaccination - main reason I now hold them for a week post-vaccination so the new owners don't have to cover that cost.
The recent batch of kittens I had actually had a reaction to the microchip!
Their bodies obviously responded to it like a foreign body so had swelling fairly deep in the neck tissue.
One vet then refused to inject the kitten with a second vaccination because it was a different manufacturer - so the kitten had to start the course from scratch - and he advised the client / new adoptive owner that the 'swelling' was caused by a bite / scratch and treated with antibiotics.
Whilst the antibiotics would no doubt help, it is fact that all the kittens from this particular litter all had a reaction to the chip - I even had it checked out by a different vet and they said likewise!
So frustrating!
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

He is quite good, what he lacks in experience he makes up for with enthusiasm to find out!
He just said to give painkillers for a few days until no longer sore.
Hope I can get some money back, 50 to vaccinate followed by £200 to undo the damage caused by the vaccination.
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7891

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Sounds like you've got a good vet there, hopefully he'll fight your corner and you'll be reimbursed. Are they hopeful the injection site will return to normal?
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Update, took elvis back to the vets for another check up as vet wanted to see him daily, told vet he is still very sore at injection site so he has painkillers.
Vet mentioned the reporting matter and said he is reporting it for me, he is hopeful the drug company will pay for elvis' treatment and also for blood tests to see what part of it he reacted to, from my point of view it's in the hope he can be safely vaccinated against flu and enterits as its most likely virus to be brought into the house of someone who does rescue.
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Bless him, it is so rewarding to know you have taken a cat that might not get a home otherwise.
ESP nowadays when vet bills for a healthy animal put owners off let alone ill ones.
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7887

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

It's so rewarding when I think of the progress Tig has made, in part thanks to his wonderful foster mum and in part from being able to live in a normal house with other cats, he's really blossomed and his achievements are all the more special because it takes him so long to achieve them!!
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

We can all only help so many, but I was actually after more permanents as pre elvis I was down to 2, then one of those vanished, 8 years ago I had 14 permanents so 1 just felt weird. The more special the better for me, Charlie was most special ever, I did also have an epileptic one, she did really well, I lost her a year ago to lymphoma but she was 17.
I prob should never say such a thing but I would love to give a home to a CH kitty........
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7886

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

I have a special needs lad, he developed epilepsy when he was a couple of weeks old, he's also deaf and is a bit slow/simple. He was never stable enough to be rehomed until I adopted him at 7 months old, he'll be 3 in November and is desperate for a playmate, my older cats don't like him much as he plays quite rough. Unfortunately being deaf he doesn't pick up on their signals. With limited funds and space unfortunately I can't help but if I win the lotto this weekend I might be able to help you out :-)
Ria (Meriad)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Meriad

Post Number: 11858

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

awww.... some really have such a hard start in life. I'm glad he's with you now and whatever other special needs kitten you take on will be equally lucky
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Now he is older elvis is more special than special needs, when he arrived at 3 days he was unconscious, others were fine, he was revived with fluids, then he was separated for 2 weeks cos girls sucked his 'boys bits' and they swelled up, then he collapsed unconscious again at 4 weeks for no apparent reason, had fluids and they didn't help, then antibiotic and glucose and he came to and then he wouldn't wean for weeks so others who were fine all got re homed together and he ended up staying cos I was so worried about him, then although maybe a bit small he seemed to come good til the vacc nearly killed him!
There is 2 special needs ones, one is a 8 week boy with some sort of kidney damage but I will be setting myself up for heartache as apparently may not live past a year and then there a 9 week tortie girl with some sort of growth probs but don't know full story on her yet.
Julia (Greenkitty)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 7885

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

I meant Elvis :-)
Ria (Meriad)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!
Username: Meriad

Post Number: 11857

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

just being curious - both :-) :-)
Sally (Meandmymunki)
Super-VIP Cat Chatter!

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post

Elvis or the new one?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration