How to stop another cat pooping in garden but letting my cat enjoy the space

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mrrossi
Frequent Cat Chatter

How to stop another cat pooping in garden but letting my cat enjoy the space

Post by mrrossi »

Hi all

I recently secured* my garden so that my "indoor only" cat (he had a catio previously) can go outside.

*He's 14, a bit daft, and can't work out that he could climb a tree or fence and get out - he's tried to escape though a gap at the back but I've secure that and he's content to just wander around the garden, sit in a corner or shout at birds now :)

However, other cats can get in... I've not seen them, but started to notice some dark cat poo on my lawn - and my cat has responded in kind but pooping directly in the middle of my lawn (defending his territory I guess).

How do I stop the other cat coming in / pooping but let my garden still go out (hoping he'll not poop outdoor, he's still using his litter trays 90% of the time)?

I thought about one of the motion detector sonic devices but:

1) I'd only be able to use it overnight when I bring my cat in and I don't know if there's any with a convenient remote control on/off button else I'm going to have to constantly go out and turn on/off / remove batteries etc
2) Worried it's range will reach beyond the garden and into the glass conservatory that backs onto the garden and his litter trays are, i.e. he may not want to go in that space either

Any thoughts / suggestions welcome.

I did read about spraying citrus / products on "points of entry" but there's lots of those (high fences 3 sides).

Thanks
Ross
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How to stop another cat pooping in garden but letting my cat enjoy the space

Post by Mollycat »

Are you quite sure it's cat and not fox?
mrrossi
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: How to stop another cat pooping in garden but letting my cat enjoy the space

Post by mrrossi »

Hi Mollycat

Hadn't even thought of that!!

Googling photos of "fox poo" (lovely) does seem possible, they are pretty black...

I'm in a suburban area but I have seen a fox cross the main road next to me at night before, so it's quite possible!!

Sounds like the sonic device would still work. It's just the inconvenience of disabling / enabling so my cat can enjoy the garden which is my concern.

Cheers
Ross