Jasper - epilepsy

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Actorvist
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Jasper - epilepsy

Post by Actorvist »

So today Jasper, my 11 year old seal point Birman, started his epilepsy "treatment".

He first was noticed having seizures almost two weeks ago and they're irregular in frequency but are cluster type.

Beaumont Sainsbury were brilliant but I've transferred him to the care of the local blue cross hospital and he had his first visit there today. They've prescribed epiphen on a really low dose as a starting point and will monitor his bloods to see how he takes to the drug.

I was impressed with the vet at Blue Cross who was very frank and yet careful in her choice of words as she said the indications are that the epilepsy may well be being caused by a brain tumour.

Understandably side effects vary cat to cat, and I've been told to expect lethargy, increased appetite and thirst but anything else I should expect or look out for?
Actorvist
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Jasper - epilepsy

Post by Actorvist »

Off to the hospital for bloods to be taken to make sure that the epiphen isn't causing any damage and is at the right dose.
He's not had any seizures since starting treatment and although he's a bit groggy from the drugs he still plays, purrs and is very much himself.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hope all goes well today and cuddles to Jasper.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I have no experience of epilepsy, but it's good that he's had no more seizures, hopefully when the dose is right he will come back to his usual self. Good luck for today. :)