Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

Post by Antonio »

Lilith, I don't think that dishes, bowls and cutlery can be contaminated by the radiations.
The vet at the clinic gave me a large towel to lay inside the carrier in place of the brand new cushion I had bought for the long trip and that they threw away. She said to dispose of the towel in a safe place outside home when I was back, the carrier was fine, though, because it's plastic and does not absorbe radiations.
So, just like plastic carrier does not absorb, the same thing would be for plastic/metal bowls and forks.
They told me nothing about those items, so I am using the usual Pallina's fork for her (metal) bowl and I wash it as usual.

It seems to me that different centres have different rules and guidelines, with different standards and safety levels. There's much confusion about it and the result is that people don't know what is true and what isn't.

As for the check-up visit, they told me that once the two weeks period after the release have expired it is absolutely safe for everybody to handle Pallina.
It could have been a serious problem if Pallina would need an emergency visit within that period because vets could refuse to check her.
My two weeks period will be up in 4-5 days, so I am sure that taking Pallina to a vet at the beginning of the next week should be fine. Anyway I'm going to schedule a check-up visit on Sept 10th, way ahead of the target date.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

Post by Lilith »

Hey Alan, I'd back your Tilly any day against the average dog :D Why is it that some idiots seem to think that dogs are macho and cats are sissy? I've often gone into vets' waiting rooms to a barrage of contemptuous glares and comments of 'Our Rover'd tear that to bits if he was loose' or similar.

Strangely enough the reverse once happened to me when I was a dog owner. All my dogs were great with cats - because they accepted that the cats were boss lol - and I was alone with my Alsatian in a vet's waiting room when a guy opened the door with a cat tucked under his arm. He walked over to us and threw the cat down - virtually between my dog's paws. Hannah (Alsatian) and I just stared at him, gobsmacked, I don't know what the poor cat thought! Then he grabbed it back, muttered something and sat down. Somehow I didn't want to get into conversation with him and ask him what on earth he thought he was doing. I've always pitied that cat ... :x :?

Hi Antonio, I was thinking about saliva traces, but yes I think (hope!) the guidelines err on the over-cautious ... I DO hope so because Mouse has been constipated, so I gave her a little evaporated milk, which she loves, and which has a very laxative effect. Unfortunately in all the excitement her arthritis supplement (green lipped mussel) has lapsed (must get it started again) and squatting in the tray must have proved to be a bit much ... the floor IS covered in puppy pads but guess what, she managed to go in several places BETWEEN the pads ... AND it dripped between the floorboards (apologies if anyone reading this is eating lunch.) Patches of (?) radioactive floor now cleaned and covered ...

I was afraid she was off her food yesterday (unless I'd given her too much) but this morning she was very bright and chatty and more interested in her breakfast than me. She's still very thin (I can feel every bone in her body) but still full of herself. Our date for being clear is the 15 Sept; I don't know if I mentioned this but in the rare instance of the HT recurring I can take her back for the same treatment - free of charge. But hope I don't have to of course.

I confess it's getting to me a bit now - it's so dismal with that door closed and poor Mousey shut in there like a prisoner. Still, only Wednesday and Thursday to go and then - comparative freedom. Mouse isn't allowed out for two weeks after that, but she rarely goes out and the garden's secure; she can't roam.

Love and fusses to Pallina x
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Lilith wrote: I don't know if I mentioned this but in the rare instance of the HT recurring I can take her back for the same treatment - free of charge. But hope I don't have to of course.
These lines froze my blood! :shock:
I really really it's not the case for me and for you!
I don't know whether I could stand such a long trip again... They didn't mention this chance to me, so I think that they think it never or very rarely happens.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Antonio - honestly I wouldn't worry - the fact that they can offer £1800 worth of treatment for free under those circumstances speaks for itself; recurrence must be incredibly rare. Probably there'd be a greater danger of a cat becoming hypothyroid - and that's very rare too.

But yes, good luck to Pallina and Mouse and all the other cats who've had radio-iodine treatment :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh wow have we been having fun!

Early Wed morning I went in to her - and the place looked as if there'd been a litter of mastiff puppies in there. Both ends - ie sick and mess EVERYWHERE. A very bright Mousey prancing about in it wanting breakfast. Thank goodness for puppy pads! I gave her her grub and took a sackful of radioactive s*it down to the cellar.

This isn't Mouse. She's always been clean as clean apart from when she was very young and first visiting the house and lost control of her bowels through fear, which was understandable. So I don't know. I have a couple of questions to ask the centre and will be phoning them so I'll mention this. The radio-iodine treatment could well be a shock to their systems. She hasn't 'been' since - not surprising; can't be anything left in there! She's been weeing and eating ok but today has been her first day 'out' and she's come along the landing a couple of times and then gone back to bed in her hideyhole. Not used to roaming about she says. If she's going to stay voluntarily in that room though, at least I needn't shut her in :)

Another shock on Wed morning - my pc was taken ill. I've been away for 3 days and in a mad panic, as I don't go out how was I to shop? Molly's favourite cat litter! Down to the last bag! :shock: My friend Mr Google, my 24/7 reference library! Oh disaster! Nevermore! Cut off from the forum, the world, the universe! :shock: A kind friend brought me down to earth and googled a computer repair place who do home visits; I have a spare laptop that had never been setup but it is now; the old one has gone into pc A&E - please wish it luck for a full recovery :)

Otherwise you guys would have got all the gory details much earlier ... :lol:

Just off to give Mousey her supper - she'll have to eat that in seclusion to be on the safe side but then she can come out again :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Poor Mouse, do hope it was a one off. Glad you have a back up, good luck for main PC
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks Booktigger :D

Well, I've scarcely seen Mouse today; it's rather like having a new cat in the house as she stays in her 'hole' despite two sleeping boxes and her carrier and hasn't come into the rest of the house at all. In a way it's good because the centre were adamant that she mustn't sleep in the same room as me, and I don't have to shut her away any more.

She does come and screech for her wet food, stands in the doorway like a feline Nora Batty - but without the wrinkled stockings :lol:

No news of the pc but it's early days - at least this one is behaving nicely - paws crossed!
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Hi Lilith,
How are things going? Is Mouse a little more confident today.
I never thought about the treatment being a shock on her system, after all, I think, it wasn't an invasive surgery or test, it was just an injection, like it was an IV of fluids.
Hopefully for Mouse it was just a bad day and everything is fine now! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I meant to phone the centre today but have been waiting in for callers/deliveries; too late now but will phone tomorrow.

Mouse is just the same, appetite great and luckily motions solid but no way will she come out of that room, very cheerful and affectionate though. I can only stroke her back, want to give her proper snogs and kisses and cuddles but less than three weeks to go.

I think she's institutionalised, reminds me of the *Konrad Lorenz story about his goslings - as far as I remember it, every day he'd open their pen at 8 and they'd come out and trundle after him, but one day he had to open the pen at 7. By now they were big geese and could have flown over the barrier but, oh no, we have our gate opened AT EIGHT. When he realised about it they were all standing in the open doorway, reproachfully, and he had to close the gate and then open it, ceremonially, again, before the daft geese would come out ... :lol:

*Edit - I was wrong - it was Gavin Maxwell in 'Ring of Bright Water'.
Last edited by Lilith on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Lilith wrote: I think she's institutionalised, reminds me of the Konrad Lorenz story about his goslings - as far as I remember it, every day he'd open their pen at 8 and they'd come out and trundle after him, but one day he had to open the pen at 7. By now they were big geese and could have flown over the barrier but, oh no, we have our gate opened AT EIGHT. When he realised about it they were all standing in the open doorway, reproachfully, and he had to close the gate and then open it, ceremonially, again, before the daft geese would come out ... :lol:
Wonderful! :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

She actually came to the bathroom door in the early hours to tell me she was hungry this morning!

I phoned the centre yesterday and all is ok - in fact very good as I'd somehow omitted to read a letter they'd given me and she'll be ok from the 8 Sept.

Not so good on the computer front - this one's having a bit of trouble adapting to Firefox but hopefully Dave the computer man will be able to sort that for me - I'm typing this in haste just in case I lose my internet again - and the old one's hard drive has had it ... luckily I'd got some important stuff saved on disk, but none of my photographs :(

Antonio just in case I don't get the chance, all the best to you and Pallina, everything crossed she's feeling better today x
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Lilith wrote: I phoned the centre yesterday and all is ok - in fact very good as I'd somehow omitted to read a letter they'd given me and she'll be ok from the 8 Sept.
I presume Mouse had a scintigraphy before the injection of radioactive iodine.
Did the doctor give you a paper where they state the material injected for the scintigraphy, its level of radioactivity and then a paper with the level of radiation Mouse had when se was released?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Wow. I'm not good with scientific stuff but I've now gone through all the papers she came back with (they really are incredibly thorough; it's me that's scatty) and here goes:-

Her bodyweight was 3.55 kg on admission; went up to 3.66 at discharge

I can't understand the chart for kidney function, but both results (presume on admission and discharge) are 'green' which is good.

Her thyroid level was 177.8 on admission, dropped right down to 26.5 (again in the green) on discharge :D

She's to see the vet for her next blood test on 15 Sept - I got that wrong.

On the invoice detailing treatment, it tells me:-

Admission 3/8/17 +HCC D 1 IDEXX HCC D Haem Biochem T4

4/8/17 Sedation RIT and hospitalisation 0.15 Sedator per dose 0.12 Torbugesic per dose 0.08 Atipam dose

1 Iodine 131 and hospitalisation

16/08/17 Rose Roche HCC D 1 IDEXX HCC D Haem Biochem T4

She's now coming out of her room to order meals and chambermaid service :D
Last edited by Lilith on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

She's now coming out of her room to order meals and chambermaid service :D
Back to normal, then!
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

At the clinic where I brought Pallina they didn't run any blood test. They were given the last reports that I had had sent them prior to going there and no blood test was done at the discharge because after 4 days nothing could have changed for sure.
Pallina's weight was 2.900 kg on arrival and 2.820 kg on discharge.

What they gave me is a paper where it is written that Pallina had a scintigraphy done and for this scan she was given an IV of pertechnetate (a radioactive isotope) with an activity of 1.2 Mci (=44,4 MBq).
Then she was given an IV injection of I-131 with an activity of 1.7 mCi (=62.5 MBq).
Upon release her residual radioactivity was measured with a Geiger counter at 1 metre distance and the reading was 1.0 uSv/h, that was a safe level for transportation according to the current legislation.

My nest test will be on Sept 11, when we will run a complete blood test, a thyroid level test and two ultrasound scans, chest and abdomen. Wow, it will be another expensive vet bill! :shock:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol, Alan, they are! :D

Hi Antonio forgot to say that the centre recommends urine tests for Mouse too. There's been so much to think about.

Yes, totally different methods but both efficient. Until I read Pallina's thread I never even KNEW cats could have radio-iodine. It's a wonderful thing.

Yes, the next vet visit will be heavy on your wallet :shock:

Purrs fron Mouse to you and Pallina, all the very best :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

And with any luck, if this link works, here is Mouse at the centre -

http://www.hyperthyroidcatcentre.co.uk/about-us/

(She's the black tux with half a white moustache and the Siamese nose.)

They ask you if you'll give permission for them to take photos and I discovered they'd put her on their website :) You can see how thin she is though, poor love.

The screaming for food has stopped - she'll bawl at me when she sees me filling her dish, but then she'll settle down and eat properly - before she WAS hungry, but faddy with it; she'd waste a lot.

She still hasn't come out of her room; she's got used to an Amazon box with a puppy pad in it (she had a thick tee-shirt to sit on but got sick all over it so it's bagged up with the rest of the waste in the cellar and I'm just using disposable stuff for now.)

She's very cheerful and affectionate - can't wait until she comes and cuddles up to me on the bed. She's been through a lot, poor lass but paws crossed the worst is over now :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Aww, bless her
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Lilith wrote:And with any luck, if this link works, here is Mouse at the centre -

http://www.hyperthyroidcatcentre.co.uk/about-us/

(She's the black tux with half a white moustache and the Siamese nose.)
You mean the first picture where a vet is holding her with both his hands? :D
The screaming for food has stopped - she'll bawl at me when she sees me filling her dish, but then she'll settle down and eat properly - before she WAS hungry, but faddy with it; she'd waste a lot.

She still hasn't come out of her room; she's got used to an Amazon box with a puppy pad in it (she had a thick tee-shirt to sit on but got sick all over it so it's bagged up with the rest of the waste in the cellar and I'm just using disposable stuff for now.)

She's very cheerful and affectionate - can't wait until she comes and cuddles up to me on the bed. She's been through a lot, poor lass but paws crossed the worst is over now :)
So you're seeing some difference since before she was treated? Does it seems to you she's going back to her normal self?
That's amazing! :D
Hugs to Mouse!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I think they're cat-whisperers at that centre, Booktigger - she seems quite happy to pose :)

Hi Antonio, yes, she's virtually back to normal; she's always been a very reclusive cat so staying in one room isn't unusual for her; she did shout at me early this morning when she heard me moving about and wanted her breakfast but before it was like having a crying baby; she screamed the place down at intervals all through the night. I don't think she's gained much weight but she has a rangy build anyway.

I've just re-read the letter from the clinic and found that I need to provide a urine sample for her on the 15th Sept when she goes for her blood test, and that the Katkor kit was discussed with me ... just goes to show how much I take in when talking face to face with someone :o However, this is easily remedied; have just placed an order with my friend Mr Amazon. It''s those plastic granule thingies, and a pipette and test tube to gather the sample. Mousey's very good about using all sorts of litter so paws crossed she uses it okay.

This particular blood test shows best results if she starves beforehand for 10 hours ... I'll have to let her stuff herself full of tuna at the last minute and then keep her shut in her room until it's time to get into her box ... no breakfast, poor girl, she isn't going to like THAT ... Just as well to keep her shut up though, because although Emily and Molly use the downstairs tray and Molly is very fussy about litter, it would be sod's law if one of them decided to try the Katkor ... imagine sending someone else's wee off to the laboratories :shock:

Purrs from Mouse to you and Pallina :)
Last edited by Lilith on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Different procedures and post therapy tests for the same radio treatment...
I wonder how they gather information and share results when the protocols are so different.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

And AT LAST!

She's officially no longer a radioactive cat! We celebrated at 5.30 am with a big kiss on her face. No more rubber gloves. No more picnicking out of disposable dishes. Rugs down instead of puppy pads. Back to normal - or what passes for in this house :D

In truth though the nursing hasn't been so bad - and of course she's been such a good girl, bless her.

Owing to the loss of a hard disk the only photos I have of her are very old or on this forum, so, sorry to have to post a link, but this is how she looked a year ago -

https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/vie ... =19&t=5402

You can see she's fatter and her face is rounder; there was no sign of the disease then. But in February I remember writing a skit (suggested by Bobbys girl) on the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' which centred round the fact that 'teatime' got earlier and earlier due to nagging cats - the others joined in but Mousey was the ringleader, so she must have started being hyperthyroid then. I'm very very glad that I had this forum, in particular Antonio's 'Pallina' thread to give me the heads up and that things moved as fast as they did when I finally had her diagnosed.

With many thanks to the Wetherby Hyperthyroid Cat Centre and Calder Vets Wakefield, and many many thanks to you guys for all your support and Mousey sends thankyou purrs too :D

She's due for another blood and urine test next week, and then after that in November and the following February; after that it will be up to my vet as to monitoring. I feel confident that she's doing fine - paws crossed of course.

But just for now, I'm hoping she soon relearns how to come and sleep on the bed ... :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Lilith great to read your post that house is back to NORMAL :lol: Fusses to Mousey & fingers xd progress is long term. And fingers xd for Pallina too. Your comment about Antonio's post re radio-iodine being so helpful can be applied to all posts on health & behaviour. I tell folks here this is the best forum I've joined. The support, the creativity, the humour offered is absolutely fabulous. I guess this can be attributable to the administrators of the site. If anyone knows them pls pass on my feedback to Yogi & Jane. Vivian & my 4 fur babes.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Great news - are Calder Vets your normal vets?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks, Booktigger, yes - have they got branches up your way then? They've been on the go for decades and I like that they've got their own hospital too; always been pleased with them :)

Mouse was sick this morning - overeating I suspect. I have been spoiling her a bit. I'm letting her rest till teatime. But she's getting visibly plumper; the food's going to her now instead of burning off :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Calder Vets is where Lucy had to go for her CT scan, she went to Dewsbury which I'm guessing is the main one? Seemed really nice
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yes, that's their headquarters; they are nice, always very welcoming, and they know their stuff too; can't fault them :)

Hope Lucy's going on ok, by the way, love to her x

Ooops, sorry Mayday, meant to say I couldn't agree more :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I think I need to post an update on Lucy, things are a bit so so at the moment
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Lilith wrote:And AT LAST!

She's officially no longer a radioactive cat! We celebrated at 5.30 am with a big kiss on her face. No more rubber gloves. No more picnicking out of disposable dishes. Rugs down instead of puppy pads. Back to normal - or what passes for in this house :D
Finally! :D
You're both free to kiss each other and restore the old good habits! :D :D :D

You and I will remember those days with a smile on our faces, it's been a great and fun experience ;)

A great kiss to Mouse, this time straight to her nose ;)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Mousey says thanks :D

She went walkabout today but I think it was only because I was building a bookcase in that room; it didn't put her off for long though and she's back in her Mousey burrow :)