Cat won't let us sleep!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Rebecca1992
New Cat Chatter

Cat won't let us sleep!

Post by Rebecca1992 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Cat Chat, as my partner and I only adopted our cat a couple of months ago. He's a year and a half old, has been neutered and everything, and is super sweet, playful and affectionate – but we're having some problems with him at night.

He meow and scratches on our bedroom door until we let him in – sometimes he even hurls himself at the door so hard we're afraid he'll wake the neighbours! When we do give in and let him into the bedroom, he prances around the room, jumping on and off high shelves, knocking everything over, etc. So either way, we can't get any sleep!

Has anyone experienced this before, and what did you do to help your cat calm down? Thank you!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat won't let us sleep!

Post by alanc »

Leave the door open, so kitty has unfettered access, doesn't get hyped up and can let the excess energy of early! (Well, it works with Tilly most of the time.)
Rubirabbit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rubirabbit »

I am also very new to cats and have been doing some research on them. Our cat sleeps with us but he is quiet all night. Maybe a small meal before bedtime might help - I split my cat's meals into 2 - 3 small portions. Also, playing with a cat helps to drain off excess energy. Cats like routine so if you can establish a bedtime routine of tiring him out followed by a small meal it might help. If you don't want him to sleep on your bed with you maybe a cat bed in the bedroom. If you have only had him a month I imagine he is still settling in. Cats like climbing and looking down on their 'space', so you could you give him the shelves for himself and put your stuff somewhere else. If not maybe put up some cat shelves so he can traverse the room without touching the ground. Can you tell I've been watching Jackson Galaxy :lol: .
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

it might help if you go to bed a little earlier than usual and let him do his thing while you read, listen to music, watch TV or whatever - he might get all his disruptive stuff out of his system by the time you are ready to sleep

you will find too in time that you'll blot out a lot of noise you are tuned in to at the moment