Adopting Cat with Cat Flu?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tiny3003
Frequent Cat Chatter

Adopting Cat with Cat Flu?

Post by Tiny3003 »

Hi Guys,

Looking to re-home a cat and the one I have been looking at is getting over cat flu. She has been vet checked, neutered last Friday and is just finishing off a course of antibiotics. Her foster carer says she is responding well and is well on the mend. They are happy to keep her until her antibiotics are finished just in case she needs more (which they will sort). They think she was a farm cat as nobody has claimed her as lost. They think around 1-2 years old and probably had at least four litters as her uterus is very big.

I don't have any cats so no risk of passing it on although I would possibly like to introduce a youngster later on (say April/May). I have no experience with cat flu so would like to know whether there might be any issues further down the line?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopting Cat with Cat Flu?

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I’m not sure, although we have adopted older snuffly cats, and been told they must have had cat flu when they were younger, and they have mixed with our other cat we had at the time and there’s been no problem. The rescue we adopted from has never said don’t adopt if you have another cat. The best thing though is to ask the rescue and or your vet, so that you know in advance, that’s what I would do. Best of luck.
Tiny3003
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tiny3003 »

Hi Janey

Thanks for coming back to me. Have done a bit of research and also asked a vet I know. They can sometimes be left a bit snuffly but am told they shouldn't need any more meds. She really has had a rubbish start to life so hoping that she likes us and comes home with us so watch this space!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

That’s good news, do let us know how you get on :)
MissBlackCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by MissBlackCat »

I might give her a tiny bit of garlic cooking powder a few times for immune strengthening, /I used it on a stray with conjunctiveitis and it cleared up really fast.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

MissBlackCat wrote:I might give her a tiny bit of garlic cooking powder a few times for immune strengthening, /I used it on a stray with conjunctiveitis and it cleared up really fast.
Hiya, I was sure I’d heard garlic can be toxic to cats, and the powder may be more concentrated. I had a google and found lots of info so I wouldn’t advise it e.g:

https://phz8.petinsurance.com/healthzon ... y-and-pets
HarryAzhar

Post by HarryAzhar »

Following infection, many cats are left as carriers, which means they do not have any symptoms but are potentially infectious to others. The existence of carriers can be the reason why a kitten develops flu when introduced to a household of apparently healthy cats.

Some carrier cats occasionally have a runny eye or nose for a few days. Recurrences of flu can follow stressful events, such as a visit to the vet or the arrival of a new cat in the house. Others are more unlucky and are left with a permanent, lifelong, thick, runny nose, or “chronic rhinitis”. This happens because the delicate nasal lining has been damaged, allowing repeated bacterial infections for which antibiotics may
provide only temporary relief.

It is thought that flu viruses, especially calicivirus, may contribute to long-term inflammation and soreness of the mouth, or gingivitis. However, this is a complicated condition, which is often difficult to cure, and calicivirus may not be the only cause. Long-term drug treatment is often needed for control, and in some cases extraction of the teeth may be needed.
Tiny3003
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tiny3003 »

Hi Guys

Little Millie seems to have settled in ok. She was checked over by the vet and was given the ok for rehoming. She has a little snuffle which I appreciate may or may not clear up and her eyes were a little runny although that seems to be getting better.

She is a sweet little thing and been through a lot in her short lifetime already. Not vaccinated due to having the flu so will get that sorted before letting her outside but will give her time to settle in with us (only arrived Saturday!) but she was neutered so no more babies for her (has large uterus so must have had quite a few already).

Glad I gave her a home and hopefully she will make full recovery.

Question re vaccinations - was having a look online at local vets and saw different boosters available:
Cat Booster (Flu/Panleukopaenia only) = £ 27.28
Cat Booster ( including FeLV) = £ 41.16

Any advice?

Cheers
Diane
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

great news - when are we getting a photo?

if she is going to have access to the great outdoors she will need FelV as she could come in contact with carrier cats, and it is a horrible disease
Tiny3003
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tiny3003 »

Thanks Kay, will make sure she is fully protected. This is little Millie
Mills.jpg
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

She's a beautiful cat. Agree with Kay, you should include FeLV ( as I see you are proposing to do).
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

she's a little cracker - but there is a trace of the nortie tortie in that expression :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Millie’s certainly a cutie & think it’s great you’ve taken her in. I’m sure she’ll repay you tenfolds. Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Wow! What a little madam, full of tortitude and with the most marvellous markings. And Siamese eyes!

Often cats who are stressed by a change or even a car ride can display a runny eye or eyes; this usually clears up soon. I have a couple of ex-ferals who do the same; no doubt they too have lurking low-grade infections associated with the feral life, though they're both old ladies now (and right little madams!)

Welcome home Millie and you've definitely fallen on your paws :D
Tiny3003
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tiny3003 »

Thanks Lileth. Tortitude? Love it!

Good to know about the eyes as I was getting a bit worried about them. She does let me wipe away the runny bits without any issue (or tortitude!) :lol:

Just another one, she uses litter tray for poops without issue but I don't see much evidence of wee? Was one clumped bit of litter on her first over night but that's all. Been checking everyday and now paranoid she is weeing somewhere else - no smell though and I am regularly patting down the furniture and checking the floor etc for puddles (don't tell my husband)! She is drinking water and eating ok. Belly seems fine and not swollen. She plays in the morning when I get up and is content for cuddles of an evening so doesn't seem distressed (or blocked). Suggestions on a postcard......?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Aww she’s so lovely, what a little beauty. So glad you’ve found each other, she will be feeling better in no time :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If she wasn't well enough to be vaccinated before homing, the rescue should cover that. Good luck with her
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oops yes, I would be sniffing about. What sort of litter is it, because some sorts, if not actively clumping, can be deceptive; there may be a soggy layer lurking below the clean. If she's weeing elsewhere there did ought to be a smell though.

Perhaps an extra tray, if there are no signs of much weeing, just to make sure she's not tempted elsewhere, just in case she feels the tray isn't usable after The Pile, but ferals and ex-ferals can often be very sparing with their wees, as it's a scent marking to encourage predators; I've heard they often go only once in 24 hours ... ouch! :o

All the best :)
Tiny3003
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tiny3003 »

Brill, thanks, will try an additional litter tray. They thought Millie may have been an ex farm cat as there is a farm nearby that always has lots of cats. I keep thinking I may "find" a puddle so always slippers not just socks lol!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Just to give you some reassurance, my Tilly hardly ever poos or pees more than once a day. She quite often goes for 2 days if the weather is bad!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Late to this discussion, but I adopted a 6 month old years ago how had had cat flu twice while waiting to be adopted, and had just recovered enough for vaccination when I visited and fell in love with him on first sight. I never had any associated health problems with him.

Re the litter, a lot of new adoptees hold it in for a bit when they first arrive, on the basis that cats prefer to toilet where they feel safe. But most of mine do two wees and one poo a day, so your lass isn't far off the mark. She'll probably get more regular once she gets her confidence.