Wobbly on hind legs

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Charliepud
Returning Cat Chatter

Wobbly on hind legs

Post by Charliepud »

Hi

Around 6pm I noticed my cat had started to wobbly on his hind legs. He has been playing fine in the morning and pretty much been resting all the day. It's been a bit of a hot day too, so I put lack of play down to this.

His face has twitched a few times and seems to fall rear first. I took him the vets who said nothing was broken or out of place. His pulse is normal and he didn't see the point of keeping him over night (he feels any blood work would come back fine).

Since we got home, he's fallen a little more regularly than before and is landing unsteady, though he jumped on the counter at vets fine.

He hasn't been sick and is eating/drinking fine. He does have a heart problem and is taking medication.

Does anyone know what it could be or advice? I'm very worried about him
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Wobbly on hind legs

Post by bobbys girl »

That doesn't sound right. How old is your cat? Did you see your usual vet? He sounds a little offhand about a diagnosis.
Charliepud
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Charliepud »

We didn't see our usual vet as they are closed, so it was an emergency vets we went to.
And my cat is 3 years old
His face is spasming more since we got back too.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

If he is getting worse, can you get him back to the vets? I can imagine you are very worried. Is he focusing on things OK? If you move a toy or treat in front of him, does he follow it?
Charliepud
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Charliepud »

He's not responding to his name unless you're standing in front of him. He did go for a toy but sort of slowly went to it and lay down. He's been falling more too.
I'm back at the vets now, hoping it's a different person I see.
Charliepud
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Charliepud »

She was willing to keep him but all they would do is watch him. She did prefer for me to bring him home, I have done. If it's just watching than I can do that and not stress him out more.

She said my normal vet needs to see him of his the same in the morning, and they will do blood work.

I was told that it could have been due to his heart condition. Which has helped calm me a bit because at least i know it's not anything new wrong.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. If your cat seems fine at the vets but not at home, which is usually the case because they aren’t there as long, then one thing you could do if possible is video him. I’ve done that with my phone lots of times, e.g. when one of mine was coughing, to show the vet how it sounded, because my cat never actually coughed at the vets. I hope that he’s back to normal soon. Let us know how you get on.
Charliepud
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Charliepud »

Thank you for your advice.

I showed them videos and Been again today and the vet said it seems like he's eaten something he shouldn't have and it's coming out of his system.
He's walking a little more steady than he was, so she wants us to watch him for the next 24-48hours. Whatever he s eaten should be out of his system completely them
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Crikey, it’s good that he seems a bit better now though. I hope that continues, do let us know, and give him a snuggle from me.