What's wrong with my cat's paw?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Moolercat
Returning Cat Chatter

What's wrong with my cat's paw?

Post by Moolercat »

Hello all

This is my first post here although I have loitered on these forums a while without registering.

This is my baby boy Moo, he's 2 1/2 and if I'm honest I've put in a picture of him along with his injury as I love showing him off!! :lol: :D

We have an appointment to attend today for him at the vets, just wondering what to expect.

The claw is still there, albeit a bit broken. I noticed this morning he didn't want to go out which isn't normal for him, and was over-grooming his paw. This is on his back paw.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Sarah
Attachments
moopaw.jpeg
forwebmoo.jpeg
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: What's wrong with my cat's paw?

Post by Ruth B »

He's a beautiful boy and I can't blame you for wanting to show him off.

Unfortunately I can't see much in the photo to say what is wrong, the vet is certainly the right place to be going, even if it ends up only for peace of mind. My thought though would be that he has caught his claw on something and broken it, it's therefore possible that he has damaged it further down than you can see or that part of the broken claw has become embedded in the paw after it broke off, or possibly something like a splinter of wood has got lodged in there. Any of those would make him groom his paw more trying to sort the irritation out.

Fingers crossed that it is something simple that a quick clean up and a lot of TLC will cure.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

If just one claw is broken he has probably caught it on something - the nail can pull before it breaks, so there can be damage under the skin. It can be very painful, so unsurprising if he doesn't want to walk on it. If all the claws are scuffed or broken he may have been involved in a minor RTA, though that seems unlikely.

If the claw requires trimming or further exploration he may need to be sedated, but your vet will advise you on that.

He is beautiful - I am not surprised you are besotted!
Moolercat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Moolercat »

Many thanks for your quick replies :) Helps put my mind at ease :)

I'll update accordingly, hopefully it's nothing too serious. Cats hide their pain so well!

Here's another picture of him, one green and one blue eye as you can see. He isn't blind in either and has great hearing! Apparently a misconception is that white cats are deaf (although I understand the science behind why!)
Attachments
file-2.jpeg
Moolercat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Moolercat »

So Moo Dude is back from the vets, he has an infection in two toes although only one was oozing and smelly. He’s on anti inflammatory and antibiotics. Poor bub did a wee in his carrier. All the 32 years I’ve been with cats I still can’t get over that smell :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi there! Not been around for a few days, so just caught up on this. First of all, yes he is a lovely boy! Not all white cats are deaf, though there would be a a higher chance if both his eyes were blue.

Now, that paw. My Bob had something similar earlier this year. He is a tripod, so any problems with his remaining legs could be very serious. Fortunately, after trimming the fur around his toes revealed a broken nail and a little bit of infection, an injection of a two week AB saw him right, and I am sure the same will be true for Moo.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Glad you got Moo Dude sorted, hopefully his toes will soon be better. Give him a snuggle from me :)