Adopt FIV cat or not? Help!

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Tashakins89
New Cat Chatter

Adopt FIV cat or not? Help!

Post by Tashakins89 »

Hello everyone.
I am new here.
My fiance and I have been looking for an indoor cat, as I've always grown up with cats and just love them unconditionally. We found a gorgeous ginger tom with FIV. (We wanna call him Weasley)
I've been doing lots of research, so I'm quite familiar with the condition. I feel like we'd have something in common too as I am immuno-supressed.
I am worried about costs more than anything, as I don't think you can get pet insurance for an FIV cat, can you?
I just want a bit of advice on what the most common problems are & a bit of info about costs etc.
Thank you
Tasha
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Adopt FIV cat or not? Help!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Tasha and welcome to CC. I can't give any advice about insurance - we have a 'cat fund' set aside for emergencies. But my Bob is FIV+ and, thank God, generally very healthy.

With your own health problems you'll know that the best way to handle it is to eat right and try to avoid stressful situations. It's the same with an FIV cat. Bob is allowed out as my other cats come and go as they please and to keep him in would be stressful for ALL of us :?

A week ago he came in with a badly cut leg (he only has 3 to start with). Our BIG concern was infection, but with massive doses of AB's, he seems to be on the mend.

I'd say go for it! You sound like the ideal mummy for this little boy. I like the idea you have a name for him. I had the name 'Willow' on my mind 8 years before I found her! OH went in search of a lurcher pup who looked like a 'Katie'. :lol:

Let us know how you go on.