fiv cat immune system

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
stacey87
Returning Cat Chatter

fiv cat immune system

Post by stacey87 »

Hi
my male 10 year old cat us fiv + he is currently trying to fight a bad ear infection. Is there anything i can give him to help build up his immune system ?? Also how can.i put extra weight on him?

thanks
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: fiv cat immune system

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Stacey, I'm so sorry your boy is going through such a rough time. Although I have had a cat with FIV, I don't have much knowledge or experience in how to build up their immune system. I know that some FIV owners do supplement their cats with L-lysine but I have to say I don't know that much about it.

This website is a fantastic wealth of information about FIV. Bob and Barbara who run the sanctuary would be very pleased to help you if you wanted to email them for advice. They have looked after so many cats with FIV that I'm sure they would be well acquainted with how to boost their immune system. http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/fiv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It must be such a worry for you as your boy is in desperate need of something to help him. Only wish I was more knowledgeable. Sadly I lost my boy to cancer but at the time I was in the middle of researching what vitamins/supplements he could take to help him.

What food is he currently on? Has he noticeably lost weight recently? Could this be connected to his poor immune system?

What's your boy's name? Really sorry I can't be of more help. Please contact Bob and Barbara as I'm sure they will be able to offer suggestions based on their experiences.

Carol
stacey87
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by stacey87 »

Hi

thank you ever so much for the website and i will indeed message them. My boy called Tyson such a lovely cat. I am so sorry to hear about your boy.

Tyson is currently on iams at the moment.
ive been to vets again today and they gave him a long lasting shot of steroids. The vet did tell me to research auto hemitherapy where they draw blood from one area and re inject it straight into another area, its supposed to really work and build immune systems up so in the process of researching this at the mo.

thanks
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Stacey. Really hope Tyson picks up very soon. I've not heard of what the vet suggested so I'll look it up. Anything is worth a try.

Have you tried feeding Tyson some wet food? Apparently a combination of wet and dried food is better than all dried. I'm presuming that Iams is a dried food. They need moisture in their diet so they don't dehydrate. Maybe some wet food would stimulate his appetite and help him eat a bit more. A bit of variety can encourage them to eat.

Bob and Barbara will do all they can to help and advise you. I can't speak highly enough of them. They've helped several of us on here.

Thinking of you. Please keep us updated.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I agree with Carol. Dry foods do tend to be better for building-up your cat, but he does need moisture too. If he's anything like my lot he will only drink the water I give them if they can't access the pond or any puddles! :roll:

I'm lucky, my FIV+ kitty, Bob, will ear almost anything. My 'skinny minnie' Purdy was very underweight when we got her and we tried her with everything. We had prawns one day and tried her with the left overs. She loved them, started to eat and finally turned a corner. She is still a skinny cat, but healthy and she still gets a couple of prawns for breakfast - as does Bob. Their food bill is almost as big as ours!

I hope you find something that Tyson likes and that his ear infection clears up soon. I know how tricky they can be. It is so difficult to know if you have it really sorted.
Last edited by bobbys girl on Fri May 29, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stacey87
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by stacey87 »

Hi

yes iams is wet food he hardly has dry food. Thanks
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

That's good about the wet food. Sorry for assuming that Tyson was on dried food. Years ago Iams used to only do dried food.

How is Tyson's appetite? Is he eating a lot but not putting weight on or is he not that interested in food at the moment?