Should I Adopt an FIV+ Cat?

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
PolarBear
New Cat Chatter

Should I Adopt an FIV+ Cat?

Post by PolarBear »

Hi All

I grew up in a cat-loving household and always wanted one of my own when I finally moved out.

My boyfriend and I are now in a position where we can give a cat a loving home and so have contacted a couple of local sanctuaries. We have a large first floor flat, so ideally want a cat who is comfortable being indoors / needs to be indoors, as I would feel guilty keeping one trapped in all the time.

One of the sanctuaries we have contacted has suggested a lovely boy who is FIV+. I really like the idea of offering him a home, as his condition would mean that many people would pass him by, but my only concern is the cost of having an FIV+ cat.

My boyfriend and I don't earn a lot, and I would hate to take on the responsibility of a cat only to find that we can't afford to give him the medical treatment he needs and deserves.

Do you have to take an FIV+ cat to the vets all the time? What's the cost? I can tell that insurance is basically not possible. He's four years old and apparently very healthy. Could anyone who has an FIV+ cat help with any information?

Thank you in advance.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Should I Adopt an FIV+ Cat?

Post by Crewella »

I have an elderly FIV+ cat and, although I am aware that his immune system doesn't work as well as it could so I keep a close eye on him, I've don't think I've ever had to take him to the vet due to his FIV status. I tend to bathe any wounds or scratches I see in warm salt water, where in another cat I might just keep an eye on it, but otherwise there's no difference to how he is treated and there certainly haven't been any additional medical costs. Of course, you can't guarantee that this cat will remain healthy, but then you can't with any cat!

Your needs and his sound a perfect match, I really hope you do decide to go for it. So many FIV+ get overlooked (and worse, my Paddington was due to be PTS the day after I said I'd take him) and so often it's totally unnecessary. If you need any further information, this site is excellent and they will also answer any queries that you might have if you can't find answers elsewhere:

http://www.fivcats.com/FIV/fiv_introduction.html

It's lovely that you're considering an FIV+ cat - good luck! :).
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I agree with Helen. It is lovely that you are thinking of adopting an FIV+ puss.

My Bob is FIV+. He was born with nerve damage to his front, left leg. We found him when he was only about a month old (if that). He managed quite well until the leg became infected and would not heal. The vet advised amputation and it was then we discovered his FIV status. It scared the hell out of me and I thought I was going to lose him. It took a while for him to heal but that was over 2 years ago and apart from the occasional gooey eye (something he and Gracie are prone to - I think it is grass seeds or something like that) He is fine.

He is allowed out - just try stopping him, but if your cat is used to being inside I can't see any problems.

No one can tell if any cat will be healthy all their lives. We just have to make sure they get the best nutrition, somewhere safe and warm to call home and leave the rest to nature.

If insurance looks like it is going to be a problem, why don't you open a kitty savings account and put a little by on a regular basis? My experience of insurance companies makes me think they will wriggle out of paying anything to anyone - whatever the reason. Either that or hike up the following years premiums. But that is just a personal gripe.

Go for it and give this little boy a forever home - and let us know all about him! :D Good luck.
PolarBear
New Cat Chatter

Post by PolarBear »

Thank you so much for your replies!

We met him last night and he was so gorgeous I just couldn't say no! We're going to go through the paperwork and he should be home with us in less than a week (fingers crossed).

Thank you so much, your reassurance is really appreciated and I will spread the word that FIV is not something to be scared of!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh I'm so pleased to hear that! :D

Please keep us posted and let us know how you get on. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, lovely news! Please let us know how you go on, and post some pictures of him. Does he have a name yet?