My boy Ted

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
wendylovescats
Returning Cat Chatter

My boy Ted

Post by wendylovescats »

Two years ago my boy was a stray living on the streets, un neutered, fathering kittens in the village where I live and living in someone's old greenhouse, his fur was matted and he was wheezing, he was then neutered and I gave him a home with all the food and love he had been missing, up until now he has not had any health issues. Last week he went off food and the vet discovered an abscess on his gum and a broken tooth, it was decided to extract his tooth but after blood tests pre op I received a phone call to say no operation could be performed as he had kidney failure and FIV plus he has a heart murmur, to say I am devastated is an understatement, he is thought to be only between 3 and 5 years old, he is absolutely beautiful, I was wondering if anyone has a cat with the two illnesses , he is on a special diet for his kidneys and antibiotics for his gum infection x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: My boy Ted

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, do you have his kidney values? Dodgy teeth can cause raised kidney levels, so doing the dental may actually help them, although you might need a different vet. Did they say how bad his heart murmur was?
wendylovescats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by wendylovescats »

Vet said kidney failure was the main reason for not proceeding with op. Am I right in thinking FIV causes kidney failure? I asked how long he had to live and was told months, I am in total shock, he has an appointment in two weeks, has an antibiotic and Benazapet to help the kidney function and a renal diet to follow, sorry don't have kidney values, heart murmur just stated as such.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'd ring and ask what his kidney values are, it depends how severe as to whether it would prevent an op. I don't think FIV can cause kidney issues.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

My FIV+ boy Bob was just about to have his damaged leg amputated when they did the blood test that confirmed his FIV status. We went ahead with the operation. Granted, he was only one year old and was in good health. But surely a tooth op is not on the same level as an amputation - I'm thinking time taken, anaesthetic, recovery time, it was a BIG operation.

As far as I know FIV doesn't CAUSE any disease. It is a fault in the immune system which leaves them at risk of catching anything that's going and the body doesn't have the ability to fight it off.

I had an older cat with CKD (my darling Tommy). The vet was not hopeful for his survival beyond a couple of months. But we had the best of one year with him, mostly in reasonable health. We didn't give him any 'special' (purchased from the vet!) diet - he wouldn't eat it. We gave him what he liked, mainly fresh meat, beef, chicken, some fish.

You have posted on the FIV site. You might re-post in general health. Then you should get more advise re: teeth and kidney problems.

BTW antibiotics did work with Bob, but he needed big doses of strong AB's.

Good luck with your boy. Give him a fuss from me.
wendylovescats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by wendylovescats »

Ted has end stage or chronic kidney failure, sorry my head just couldn't take in what I was hearing, he has always been a healthy big boy and up until two weeks ago I had no cause to worry about his health, vet said if it was just one or the other he had ( kidney failure or FIV ) she would have been hopeful but of course that is not the case, poor boy has both. I feel happier hearing about Tommy outliving the vets expectations , thank you x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

How high are his values?
wendylovescats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by wendylovescats »

I am going to call tomorrow, all the vet said was kidney failure x