Milk?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lorimcsporry
Returning Cat Chatter

Milk?

Post by Lorimcsporry »

Hi, I was on last week when I rehomed a cat, the advice I got was great and she's settling in well :) she's 9/10 yr old and her previous owner gave her semi skim cows milk, she's a right fatty!, I've been reading mixed reports on weather milk is safe or not, I've bought skim lactose free and wonder is that better for her? She's not eating normal yet so don't want to stop it altogether.
catsue
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Milk?

Post by catsue »

Hi, it's best not to give cows milk to cats as not only is it fattening but a lot of cats are allergic to it. If a cat is allergic to it, it can cause skin problems and diarrhoea. Also, watered down cows milk is actually worse - something to do with how it is digested. As a treat, lactose-free milk should be okay but it will probably still be fattening. Hope this helps. :)
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

The lactose in milk can upset their tummies, but if no problems in 10 years of having it then more than likely tolerates it well. Goats milk or cat milk are both good alternatives though.
Carol B
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Carol B »

You can buy milk for cats, Whiskas etc do cartons but they are quite expensive. My two boys are more than happy with plain water but I do not put the water bowls near their food bowls. I read somewhere that cats do not like to eat and drink in the same area (something to do with their instincts!). Anyway since the bowls are in a different area both my boys enjoy a good drink.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

My Laz isn't allergic and he has a small bowl of regular milk every day. I think full-fat is more natural and it is the only kind he will drink anyway. We always buy organic milk.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

If you research the nutrients in milk and look at the nutrients cats need full fat milk is actually a very nutritious addition to a cats diet but ONLY IF THEY TOLERATE LACTOSE cats are made to consume a high calorie diet so weight issues occur from overfeeding and lack of exercise and often these are due to close proximity of neighbouring cats territory's become smaller cats stay at home more and we over indulge them... So milk? if they like it and it doesn't upset their tummies mine have it and always have done
Lorimcsporry
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Lorimcsporry »

Thanks for this, I’ve had her 4 years now and she get some full fat milk every morning, great way to give her metacalm! She’s lost weight since she first came to me too so all is good, thanks for the responses :D
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by AndyMac »

My cat loves the squirty cream made by Anchor - there is a low fat version and she gets a few squirts every now and then. If she is upstairs and I take the can from the fridge and give it a shake she comes running and cries until she gets it.
Lorimcsporry
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Lorimcsporry »

Haha yip Kit loves that too except the squirting noise spooks her!! Lol
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Like Mark we are a full fat Organic milk family (can't abide that watery stuff :D ) When we first found Willow we had no idea what to feed a kitten (and the local vet wasn't much help). Until we tracked down some proper cat milk we fed her evaporated milk. She is still partial to a drop now and again. She also likes ice cream, custard, rice pudding, yoghurt and porridge! There is big trouble if she doesn't get to lick the spoon clean. :roll:

Bob won't touch the stuff - he knows it upsets his tummy.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Ha, lol, I did buy some of that squirty cream at Christmas and Emily, who I was a bit worried about, dug into the mince pies and cream like a good 'un :lol:

When I got my first Siamese in the 80s her diet sheet recommended diluted evaporated (NOT condensed) milk ... special cat milk was unknown then. I find evaporated can act as a good laxative, a bit too good maybe, best to dilute it, but some cats can sick it back up.

Lol, Jacinth the first 'Meez used to love ice cream, and so did Adrian, my ex. One day he was tucking into a giant bowl of vanilla when he said, oh just have to go to the loo. And watch THAT (Jacinth) and don't let IT (he meant it affectionately) touch MY icecream.

Well. Jassy and I just looked at each other. I got another bowl and put his icecream into it and hid it in the fridge ... when he came down again in a minute, Jass was demurely hoovering up the dregs in the first bowl ... :lol: His face was a picture!

Of course I produced the icecream straight away and order was restored :D