Lily's Gone to her Furever Home!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Lily's Gone to her Furever Home!

Post by MysticalVamp »

Lily went to her new home last night after the home check came back clean. I've had a message this morning saying she spent all night on one of the beds and has eaten breakfast this morning!

These are my last photo's of her here with me. She curled up on the bed with me and my fiancé yesterday afternoon while I rested my bad back. Excuse the pulled back bed sheet, she was playing with Tiger and managed to pull it about.
26th August 2015 (1).jpg
26th August 2015 (1).jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
26th August 2015 (2).jpg
26th August 2015 (2).jpg (43.66 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
26th August 2015 (3).jpg
26th August 2015 (3).jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
26th August 2015 (4).jpg
26th August 2015 (4).jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
26th August 2015 (5).jpg
26th August 2015 (5).jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
26th August 2015 (6).jpg
26th August 2015 (6).jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Lily's Gone to her Furever Home!

Post by nannymcfee »

What a beautiful black coat she has, and such good news that Lily has now found her furever home ! well done you !
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Really pleased for ALL of you, well done. One down, one to go?

Hope your back is better soon.
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

nannymcfee wrote:What a beautiful black coat she has, and such good news that Lily has now found her furever home ! well done you !
bobbys girl wrote:Really pleased for ALL of you, well done. One down, one to go?

Hope your back is better soon.
Thank you both, I'll admit I cried after she'd gone.

I did the home check yesterday evening and the woman jokingly said "Can we take her today?" and laughed. While she was laughing my head did a quick "I don't want to but might be a good idea because the longer you know she's going, the more attached you'll get." so I said "Yeah, sure.".
She replied "Are you sure? I don't want to rush you or make you feel rushed.. I can wait." so I just said "I'd be happy for her to come here tonight.".

It was upsetting to not have to put her in her crate for the night last night but I knew if I'd kept her even one more night knowing she was leaving for her new home I'd have said "I'm sorry I can't let her go..." and ended up keeping her(much to my OH's annoyance!) so I made the best decision I think.

Bobbys girl: I have another foster, yes. The problem is, he's not a happy house cat and we're looking for a stable or farm for him to go to where he will be fed but won't have to have human contact... He won't let me anywhere near him, he hisses at the slightest thing... He's been here 3 weeks now and just no change. So it's looking like he's not going to settle in at all. My fiancé has put a time limit on him too as the crate is admittedly taking a large amount of space up and he's a bit annoyed by it. So unfortunately we're looking at other options for him.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm glad your little girl has found a good home. Regarding your other foster, 3 weeks is no time at all for nervous cats to come round, you need to be looking at months before deciding - how much time are you spending with him every day?
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

booktigger wrote:I'm glad your little girl has found a good home. Regarding your other foster, 3 weeks is no time at all for nervous cats to come round, you need to be looking at months before deciding - how much time are you spending with him every day?
I'm spending as long as I can with him, which lately has been almost all day due to my back limiting my time out.
He gets stressed out very easily though and just changing his litter tray sends him into a hissing fit from his bed. Feeding him is getting dicey too as he has started sitting near the front of his crate when he knows food is coming which usually leads to him being less than a foot away from my hand when I'm putting food in. Plenty close enough to swipe at me which he has tried. Which lead to the food not getting put in until he moved to save my hand from being shredded.

He won't accept any contact or even being close to him, I've tried using the same technique I used for Lily and that was recommended by a rescue. The technique was to use a long piece of dowel with a soft roller on the end and try to touch the cat with it to simulate being stroked. He full on attacked the roller and then proceeded to attack the dowel. I can't clean his crate out properly due to him being so ready to attack anything that comes near him which means I basically have to very gently sweep as much of the spilt cat litter out of his crate and that's it due to how ready he is to just rip your face off given the chance.

He is fear aggressive, very much so... And it makes doing anything with him very, very difficult. I offer him treats, he hisses at me and won't take them until I move away from the crate. I change his water, he hisses and spits. I feed him, he hisses at me but luckily doesn't swipe any more(only did that once and I think the delayed food changed that). I clean/scoop his litter tray, he hisses and spits.

I literally cannot do anything with him in terms of contact or even being near him as it just stresses him out massively. If you look at him for too long, he hisses at you and growls.

And like I said- My fiancé has put a time limit of one month(which is very nearly up as he's been here over 3 weeks) on him being here. So I don't have much option. If he magically started improving drastically within the next 4 days(because that will be 4 weeks since he arrived- 1 month to my OH) then he'd probably change his mind. But he won't put up with a cat that cannot be touched, looked at or spoken to without being hissed at. The only reason he put up with Lily for so long is because she was pretty easy to work with due to her age, this boy he just doesn't like full stop.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Unfortunately sometimes those cats are worse in a crate as they don't cope in confined spaces - we had a semi feral who was fine in a room, but when transferred to a pen, she was a lot more aggressive and unhandleable. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like your fiance realises what fostering really entails, or how difficult it is to find places for those kind of cats, we haven't had a single farm enquiry all year. He could also be picking up on the vibes from your fiance and if you aren't confident around him he will pick up on that.
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

booktigger wrote:Unfortunately sometimes those cats are worse in a crate as they don't cope in confined spaces - we had a semi feral who was fine in a room, but when transferred to a pen, she was a lot more aggressive and unhandleable. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like your fiance realises what fostering really entails, or how difficult it is to find places for those kind of cats, we haven't had a single farm enquiry all year. He could also be picking up on the vibes from your fiance and if you aren't confident around him he will pick up on that.
I can't have him running loose unfortunately as our flat consists of 4 rooms total. Bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom. Bedroom has many, many places he can hide and never come out again. Living room is used pretty frequently and the door is left open for my cats to roam. The other problem is that if he doesn't improve being out and about then we've got the job of getting him back in the crate without him shredding us. He's already got my arm that time he swiped for my hand when putting the food in the crate. Luckily it wasn't too bad as I managed to get my hand out quick enough but I have scratches from it.

My fiancé understands what fostering entails, his problem is the amount of space the crate is taking up. It's sort of taken over our living room and he's annoyed by that. Adonis(the foster) also smells very strongly of urine but I can't see any spray marks around or in the crate, and while he does use the litter tray- He misses it a lot more frequently than he hits it...

I also know he's picking up on both me and my fiance. I try and keep calm because I know what to expect, my fiancé doesn't interact with him really apart from to speak to him sometimes through the side of the crate.
Here's a couple of photo's of him, the only two I have.
This was taken about 2 weeks ago during the day on my phone.
Chilled out.jpg
Chilled out.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
And this one was taken about 5 minutes ago with my camera. He's eaten his tea and tonight he came close to the bowl while I was still holding it and nearly started eating there and then.
28th August 2015.JPG
28th August 2015.JPG (79.31 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
The thing is, this is him before we trapped him and got him indoors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAV51gCPx8M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the shaky video, I was filming one handed. He got to the point where he would eat directly out of my hand as long as I stayed still.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Well done for taking on another cat - but talk about in at the deep end!
booktigger wrote:Unfortunately sometimes those cats are worse in a crate as they don't cope in confined spaces - we had a semi feral who was fine in a room, but when transferred to a pen, she was a lot more aggressive and unhandleable. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like your fiance realises what fostering really entails, or how difficult it is to find places for those kind of cats, we haven't had a single farm enquiry all year. He could also be picking up on the vibes from your fiance and if you aren't confident around him he will pick up on that.
I think booktigger is spot on.

This is Tommy when he first turned up in 2009. Just look at his face!
rsz_p1000857(2).jpg
Not a happy bunny!
(109.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
This is a more recent photo
rsz_029.jpg
My boy Tom
(246.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It took a bit of effort (for both of us) but it has certainly been worth it!

Tom was not confined, he just turned up for food. He would hiss and growl if we went anywhere near him. I decided it was bad manners to bite the hand that fed him. So I would put the food down and stay very close while he ate. I got to the point where he would not get his food until he let me stroke him (accompanied by hissing at first). Bit by bit I won him over.

He still doesn't like being picked up but he loves a cuddle and often sleeps with me, purring like a little tractor.

Our house is very small too, just 5 rooms, (but we have a big garden). How big is your bathroom? Is it big enough to let him have the run of it? When you have to 'go' you let him know you are coming in, but otherwise ignore him. Let him have somewhere to escape to (his bed would do). I think it is do-able!

I had a friend who could never catch her horse. She took to walking past him, ignoring him and even lying down in the field. Her horse just could not resist coming over to see what she was doing. She let him come to her! :D

Don't give up on him yet, and good luck.

Sue
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

bobbys girl wrote:Well done for taking on another cat - but talk about in at the deep end!
I think booktigger is spot on.

This is Tommy when he first turned up in 2009. Just look at his face!
rsz_p1000857(2).jpg
This is a more recent photo
rsz_029.jpg
It took a bit of effort (for both of us) but it has certainly been worth it!

Tom was not confined, he just turned up for food. He would hiss and growl if we went anywhere near him. I decided it was bad manners to bite the hand that fed him. So I would put the food down and stay very close while he ate. I got to the point where he would not get his food until he let me stroke him (accompanied by hissing at first). Bit by bit I won him over.

He still doesn't like being picked up but he loves a cuddle and often sleeps with me, purring like a little tractor.

Our house is very small too, just 5 rooms, (but we have a big garden). How big is your bathroom? Is it big enough to let him have the run of it? When you have to 'go' you let him know you are coming in, but otherwise ignore him. Let him have somewhere to escape to (his bed would do). I think it is do-able!

I had a friend who could never catch her horse. She took to walking past him, ignoring him and even lying down in the field. Her horse just could not resist coming over to see what she was doing. She let him come to her! :D

Don't give up on him yet, and good luck.

Sue
Our bathroom is tiny, as is our kitchen unfortunately. He'd be almost as cramped in the bathroom as he is in the crate as it's honestly not much bigger :/
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Bless him, he looks and sounds like a reincarnation of my horrible (and adored) Ali Kat, a mature un-neutered tom who moved in with me (with menaces!) That cat chomped and clawed me to bits (I ended up on antibiotics twice) but he owned me! Neutered and regularly fed he became a most beautiful cat and even allowed cuddles eventually - after a few years. Sadly one day he disappeared. I always miss him.

I have his spiritual daughter, the dreaded Molly - been with me 3 years, but stroke the wrong ear and I've had it! Follows me round and sleeps on the bed though!

All the very best to the lad and to you, finding him the right home.

Congrats to you and Lily on the furever home, and I loved the vids of Cereus in the sun :)
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

Lilith wrote:Bless him, he looks and sounds like a reincarnation of my horrible (and adored) Ali Kat, a mature un-neutered tom who moved in with me (with menaces!) That cat chomped and clawed me to bits (I ended up on antibiotics twice) but he owned me! Neutered and regularly fed he became a most beautiful cat and even allowed cuddles eventually - after a few years. Sadly one day he disappeared. I always miss him.

I have his spiritual daughter, the dreaded Molly - been with me 3 years, but stroke the wrong ear and I've had it! Follows me round and sleeps on the bed though!

All the very best to the lad and to you, finding him the right home.

Congrats to you and Lily on the furever home, and I loved the vids of Cereus in the sun :)
This boy is neutered already. I am hoping that the slight signs I am seeing are improvement and if they are I'm hoping my fiance will change his mind and allow me to keep working with him. But it's not looking likely :(

Haha! Thanks, I did wonder if anyone would go through my other vids :P
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Good luck with the lad - it can take a lot of time but they do come round :)

Off-topic here but what morph is Cereus? Beautiful snake! I've seen a vid of a creamsicle corn that looked similar but there are so many corn morphs that I've lost track. I have 5 royal pythons, a carpet python, a pine snake, a 7' gopher snake (who is magnificent!) and 6 corns, including a 'butter' corn who is solid yellow with darker markings and one of the sweetest snakes I've ever met - even at feeding time she's a lady which is more than you can say for most of them - when it comes to that gopher you need a whip and a chair lol :lol:
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

Lilith wrote:Good luck with the lad - it can take a lot of time but they do come round :)

Off-topic here but what morph is Cereus? Beautiful snake! I've seen a vid of a creamsicle corn that looked similar but there are so many corn morphs that I've lost track. I have 5 royal pythons, a carpet python, a pine snake, a 7' gopher snake (who is magnificent!) and 6 corns, including a 'butter' corn who is solid yellow with darker markings and one of the sweetest snakes I've ever met - even at feeding time she's a lady which is more than you can say for most of them - when it comes to that gopher you need a whip and a chair lol :lol:
Cereus is a Butter :)

I have five corns:
Sakana- Female Hypo.
Cereus- Male Butter.
Pandora- Female Amel Stripe.
Vladimir- Male Caramel Stripe.
Amara- Female Normal.

I also have a 7ft male Yellow Rat Snake called Leviathan and a male Western Hognose called Thorne.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Wow, there's a difference in colour between Cereus and Saffron (my butter) but she's 7 now and I got her when she was 18 months and they do change colour drastically.

Love your snakes' names; my corns mostly have 'corny' names (my 'ghost' morph is 'Spooky' lol) but my royal pythons are Shahi, Saada, Surahi, Shiva and Sharif, and my gopher snake's Ziska, after a melodramatic Victorian novel - 'Ziska, the problem of a wicked soul' lol. Even the shop warned me about her when she was only a little bootlace, but she's soppy really; just puts on a big act (unless she's in feeding mode) and then climbs into my top and goes to sleep.

She only ever really misbehaved herself once; she got into my t shirt, still grumbling and rattling her tail, and I felt a sharp twinge in my errm, bosom, then forgot it until later, when, in the bath, I glanced down at myself and saw toothmarks! :shock:

Felt like Cleopatra with the asp! :lol:

Hope Adonis is behaving himself for you; he'll make a lovely cat in time :)

Oops edit - missed some of this thread, about his behaviour - more and more like my Ali Kat! He was VILE - and then he'd lie down looking just like your lad, butter wouldn't melt! I have a pic of him on the bed, smiling, exactly like your boy - but if I'd've reached out to stroke him, he'd have scragged me! Good luck with him - Ali eventually climbed on to the bed with me, roaring purrs and cuddling up...they do!
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

Lilith wrote:Wow, there's a difference in colour between Cereus and Saffron (my butter) but she's 7 now and I got her when she was 18 months and they do change colour drastically.

Love your snakes' names; my corns mostly have 'corny' names (my 'ghost' morph is 'Spooky' lol) but my royal pythons are Shahi, Saada, Surahi, Shiva and Sharif, and my gopher snake's Ziska, after a melodramatic Victorian novel - 'Ziska, the problem of a wicked soul' lol. Even the shop warned me about her when she was only a little bootlace, but she's soppy really; just puts on a big act (unless she's in feeding mode) and then climbs into my top and goes to sleep.

She only ever really misbehaved herself once; she got into my t shirt, still grumbling and rattling her tail, and I felt a sharp twinge in my errm, bosom, then forgot it until later, when, in the bath, I glanced down at myself and saw toothmarks! :shock:

Felt like Cleopatra with the asp! :lol:

Hope Adonis is behaving himself for you; he'll make a lovely cat in time :)

Oops edit - missed some of this thread, about his behaviour - more and more like my Ali Kat! He was VILE - and then he'd lie down looking just like your lad, butter wouldn't melt! I have a pic of him on the bed, smiling, exactly like your boy - but if I'd've reached out to stroke him, he'd have scragged me! Good luck with him - Ali eventually climbed on to the bed with me, roaring purrs and cuddling up...they do!
Cereus is 7 in October but I haven't had him all that time. I bought him as an adult, same as Sakana though I didn't buy her. She was my uncles and he gave her to me when he couldn't house all three of his snakes any more(he was downsizing and three vivs wouldn't fit), I had already shown a liking to "Alpha" as she was known back then(when we were convinced she was male) so he said I could have her if my mum agreed lol. Which she did. So Sakana may not be anything "special" morph wise(Hypo is 1/4 of a step up from Normal after all apparently!) but my big 10 year old girl will always hold a special place in my heart :)

I got a video of Adonis at tea time so you can all see his behaviour when he knows food is coming. Please excuse my voice haha! I always talk to my kitties in this high pitched voice though I try to soften it for Adonis in the hopes that it may help. You an also hear me weighing out and mixing the food in the kitchen, I think you can also hear my two boys(Tiger & Sox) meowing for their food too lol. The bottom crate was Lily's, before she went to her home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oot8KD5 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally think(at least I would like to think!) that this is very slow progress because as you can see, he now sits and waits patiently and he knows that I'm just putting food in and leaving him be. If I was to try and touch him or get close I can expect a similar outcome to the first time he sat this close and deemed my arm as "too close for comfort"..... This has mostly healed now of course and it was never a massacre lol. But it did sting a fair bit.
Adonis Damage.JPG
Adonis Damage.JPG (50.63 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
The smaller scratch is the one he did first, the one above it is the one I got when pulling my arm out of his way.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Even shallow scratches can hurt! Yeah, it's a normal human reaction to pull away but of course the cat then comes after you and has another go; I had to learn to keep still with Ali Kat; he had a head like a rock python and jaws like an Ali-gator (one of his nicknames.) His other nicknames were Ali-Bite and 'the Bitey Whitey'. I was studying Urdu at the time and wondered what 'bite' meant in that language...believe it or not, it's 'kat'!

If I displeased him at all he'd chase me and go for my legs - even through trousers he'd bruise. Little git - still wish I had him back though.

It was good training for snake-owning though because, as you'll probably have found, if they grab you and coil round your hand, any attempt to free yourself makes them grip and coil all the harder, instinctively, to subdue the 'prey'. Once my senior royal, Shahi, in a slight misunderstanding over lunch, grabbed me - and managed to coil round BOTH my hands, manacling me. I had to take him to the bathroom, pull the light cord with my teeth, turn a tap on with my elbow, keeping my hands still all the time, and dribble water over the poor guy's head until he stopped dining on my finger lol.

Watched the vid of Cereus striking - he's very pretty, got a lot more contrast on him than my Saffy. I like the new morphs but I like the traditional ones too - the wild-type go that deep copper which is gorgeous. I've got one morph who was sold to me as a Miami but he's not; I don't know what he is, more like a wild-type than anything, but I only bought him because he hatched with only one eye and wasn't feeding well; I was afraid nobody else would buy him. 'What you going to call him?' said a friend. 'Cyclops?' 5 years on Cy with one eye is thriving, and it took years to get him feeding regularly, but now he's a tiger for his grub and can strike and coil with the best of them. Always makes me laugh when they get over-excited and tie themselves in a knot - and then a peevish little face rears itself up: 'Where's me mouse then?'

'Buried underneath you, you silly snake!' :lol:

Adonis is beginning to relate to you - the way to a tomcat's heart is through his stomach. Ali would only eat dry catfood but would eat bits of cooked chicken from my hand. It's a shame about the space problem because if Adonis could leave the crate he would probably follow you and start rubbing round your legs and asking - but then of course you'd have trouble getting him back in...

I was lucky with Ali as, although my house is scarcely bigger than your flat, and all the doors have to be left open by order of the cats, my residents knew Ali from the street and were used to freeloaders, owned or homeless, dropping in for a feed, and they took no notice of him, so he came and went where he liked. I had another tomcat then, a very placid resident, and Ali tried to fight it out with him but I fought Finn's corner...hence the bruises - oh boy it was chaos sometimes lol.

Do hope Ali's furever home comes up soon - I'd send him a fuss from me but he'd have you! :)

Oops I seem to have written a blog, sorry! :oops:
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

Lilith wrote:Even shallow scratches can hurt! Yeah, it's a normal human reaction to pull away but of course the cat then comes after you and has another go; I had to learn to keep still with Ali Kat; he had a head like a rock python and jaws like an Ali-gator (one of his nicknames.) His other nicknames were Ali-Bite and 'the Bitey Whitey'. I was studying Urdu at the time and wondered what 'bite' meant in that language...believe it or not, it's 'kat'!

If I displeased him at all he'd chase me and go for my legs - even through trousers he'd bruise. Little git - still wish I had him back though.

It was good training for snake-owning though because, as you'll probably have found, if they grab you and coil round your hand, any attempt to free yourself makes them grip and coil all the harder, instinctively, to subdue the 'prey'. Once my senior royal, Shahi, in a slight misunderstanding over lunch, grabbed me - and managed to coil round BOTH my hands, manacling me. I had to take him to the bathroom, pull the light cord with my teeth, turn a tap on with my elbow, keeping my hands still all the time, and dribble water over the poor guy's head until he stopped dining on my finger lol.

Watched the vid of Cereus striking - he's very pretty, got a lot more contrast on him than my Saffy. I like the new morphs but I like the traditional ones too - the wild-type go that deep copper which is gorgeous. I've got one morph who was sold to me as a Miami but he's not; I don't know what he is, more like a wild-type than anything, but I only bought him because he hatched with only one eye and wasn't feeding well; I was afraid nobody else would buy him. 'What you going to call him?' said a friend. 'Cyclops?' 5 years on Cy with one eye is thriving, and it took years to get him feeding regularly, but now he's a tiger for his grub and can strike and coil with the best of them. Always makes me laugh when they get over-excited and tie themselves in a knot - and then a peevish little face rears itself up: 'Where's me mouse then?'

'Buried underneath you, you silly snake!' :lol:

Adonis is beginning to relate to you - the way to a tomcat's heart is through his stomach. Ali would only eat dry catfood but would eat bits of cooked chicken from my hand. It's a shame about the space problem because if Adonis could leave the crate he would probably follow you and start rubbing round your legs and asking - but then of course you'd have trouble getting him back in...

I was lucky with Ali as, although my house is scarcely bigger than your flat, and all the doors have to be left open by order of the cats, my residents knew Ali from the street and were used to freeloaders, owned or homeless, dropping in for a feed, and they took no notice of him, so he came and went where he liked. I had another tomcat then, a very placid resident, and Ali tried to fight it out with him but I fought Finn's corner...hence the bruises - oh boy it was chaos sometimes lol.

Do hope Ali's furever home comes up soon - I'd send him a fuss from me but he'd have you! :)

Oops I seem to have written a blog, sorry! :oops:
I've just had news from one of the workers at the rescue- Another Foster-parent(?) with more room and a crate double the size of mine is going to take him on and see if he's truly feral or if he can be convinced to be nice. She has an insulated barn which is where the crate is that he's going in so I guess we'll see if more space appeals to him or not soon enough...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's good news - I confess I was losing my heart to him and wishing I could take him on (despite no isolation facilities and probably not being in your area anyway.)

Sounds like you've done some valuable groundwork with him and ferals often become affectionate pets - all mine have. He is a gorgeous cat with every promise of becoming socialised to humans imo.

All the very very best to him and well done you :)
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Wonder if he is being a little horror still down to hormones, how long ago was he neutered? it can take a while to calm down.

Glad that you have found someone with a bigger cage for him, please let us know how he gets on.

I have one mog that has started to appear, looks so loving and brushes against your legs waiting to be stroked, but last week, it hissed, then when i walked past later it pounced,my legs look like pin cushions ( if i join puncture wounds bet it spells out, Gotcha !!! i have never seen so much blood spurt, , bathroom when i hobbled there was like a still from psycho film! needless to say i swore :0).
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

@ Lilith: I hope he does calm down, I had such high hopes for him after his behaviour towards me outside when he was still a street cat... I was even looking at keeping him! But my OH puts his foot down when it comes to cats... He doesn't want to exceed 3 cats and wants the last one to be his Ragdoll.... So unfortunately I can't keep him... But I will definitely be keeping myself updated on him in his new home!!

@ nannymcfee: I am very glad he has another shot at being fostered rather than having to go back to the streets/to a farm... I'd rather he be pushed and become a house cat(hopefully!) than have to live outside again...
He was neutered on the 3rd August, so 4 weeks tomorrow. I did wonder about it possibly being his hormones but when I asked a vet while talking to them they said it shouldn't be after this long(I went in yesterday) as males tend to calm quicker than females after being fixed... That's not what I'm seeing! Lol. But then again, Lily was(and still is, just) under a year old whereas this boy is a fully grown adult tom cat... It could be that he's been outside and away from humans for too long I guess. But we'll see.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

4 weeks is not that long at all & and as you say he was a fully grown tom, so no wonder he is still wary, to gain trust after that time, is going to take a little longer, but you will get there i am sure.
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

nannymcfee wrote:4 weeks is not that long at all & and as you say he was a fully grown tom, so no wonder he is still wary, to gain trust after that time, is going to take a little longer, but you will get there i am sure.
As I said, he's going to another foster who has a larger area to give him. As suggested above it could be that he feels confined and doesn't like it so I guess we'll find out when he has a larger area to live in. This other woman can give him longer to settle as well so we'll get a true idea of whether he's truly feral or if he can behave himself or not.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Just catching up - I'm so glad Lily got her furever home, and glad that this lovely boy might get a chance at a brighter future. Good on you for giving him a chance, and hopefully you've laid some valuable groundwork. :)

By the way, Sue, "I had a friend who could never catch her horse. She took to walking past him, ignoring him and even lying down in the field. Her horse just could not resist coming over to see what she was doing. She let him come to her! :D" I can absolutely vouch for that technique as it used to work on my horse and I've used it on other horses as well, even ones I've not met before, though it doesn't work so well if there are lots of other horses in the field.

Also wanted to send my greetings to Thorne. I used to have a Western Hognose called Gladstone (his mouth opened like a Gladstone bag) and I have a really soft spot for them. :)
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MysticalVamp »

Crewella wrote:Just catching up - I'm so glad Lily got her furever home, and glad that this lovely boy might get a chance at a brighter future. Good on you for giving him a chance, and hopefully you've laid some valuable groundwork. :)

By the way, Sue, "I had a friend who could never catch her horse. She took to walking past him, ignoring him and even lying down in the field. Her horse just could not resist coming over to see what she was doing. She let him come to her! :D" I can absolutely vouch for that technique as it used to work on my horse and I've used it on other horses as well, even ones I've not met before, though it doesn't work so well if there are lots of other horses in the field.

Also wanted to send my greetings to Thorne. I used to have a Western Hognose called Gladstone (his mouth opened like a Gladstone bag) and I have a really soft spot for them. :)
Thank you :) He's leaving me tomorrow at 12:30. I'm hoping to hear that he's settled down in time.

I do love my little Thorne. I got him last year at the Doncaster Reptile Show.
When we have room and can afford it my next purchase will be an Antaresia perthensis.