Getting a cat to get slim!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Getting a cat to get slim!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey there all,

I've never had to research this kind of thing before. Our cat Sofi is vastly resembling a white furry beach ball!

She was a little overweight when we left her in July. Now we're back and (to quote a fashion mag) she's really let herself go.

I've tried limiting food in the past but my OH isn't so on the ball and will often give her far more than she needs when he wakes up at 7am-ish. (I love my bed so I don't get up until the alarm goes)

And my God she cries when she doesn't have any food! (Even if she's just finished her bowl) It's just despairing to hear.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to diet a cat that just loves to eat? I try and get her to exercise as much as possible but since we've been back home she's not been very keen to do much except lay on the desk and purr and lay on my lap (I think she missed us)

I've tried her laser pointer, her stringy toys and her balls but she only seems to want to get them if they're RIGHT there in front of her.

I've started putting allotted amounts of food in baggies for her so that she won't be overfed, but I'm still worried that it's not going to make a lot of difference. (Plus OH has complained she keeps scratching his legs in the night for food since we've been back.)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Getting a cat to get slim!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oooh I wish there was an easy answer! Our Gracie is a feline waste disposal unit and sneaky with it. You are lucky that Sofi is an only cat. The only answer (for a fat lazybones) is less food - easier said than done!

Grace gets breakfast, then she's basically on her own. I know it's not perfect, but Tom, Purdy and Willow will all eat a little then leave the rest (even if we only give them a little). I've watched Gracie peep around the door, waiting until they have finished. Then she is in there like an Exorcet missile, whoosh, to clean the plate! :roll: I just can't supervise 5 cats eating patterns!

Pehaps someone can recommend a food for fatties? Something that fills their tummies while not piling on the pounds? Any ideas anyone?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I don't know about 'slim' - I'd happily settle for less fat as far as my Tiffany is concerned - watching her waddle from side to side, sagging belly fur swaying as she goes, is worrying

mostly I get this view as she precedes me into the kitchen in hopes of another snack

on the other hand, she is 13 now but seems to be healthy and is certainly a contented cat, as long as her routines are not threatened, so is it kinder to let her be, for the time being anyway?
Suze
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Suze »

I'm not the biggest fan of dry foods but when Maxwell (also overweight) was treated for his blockage & bladder stones, the vet did mention this dry food to me. It's reduced calories but somehow still makes them feel full. We didn't try it as we've got him on a urinary diet but it may be of use to someone.

http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/Vete ... ty-Support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HollyJLancaster
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by HollyJLancaster »

We play hunt the biscuits sometimes, instead of putting them in her bowl we hide little piles of her biccies round downstairs and boo goes nuts running round finding them so its a bit more active and she enjoys looking for them, its a bit more stimulating as well so she doesn't just whine for more when she's stuffed her face.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

When Daz had to lose weight I found that cutting back on the dry food helped, and adding water to his wet food (which I had to do due to his urinary problems) did also seem to help him to feel full. The biggest difference, though, was when we moved and he started spending all his time out hunting. In spite of the fact that he's eating what he catches, he's so much fitter that I no longer really have to worry about his weight.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I've been trying feeding Sofi little and often to try and slim her down. It's early days yet but we'll see if it helps a smidge. I've found this also has stopped her vomiting. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because she tends to gorge herself a little too much normally.

I would feed her wet food. But she tends to either be sick shortly after having it or just turn her nose up at it completely. I don't fancy ordering special food in case either happens. I think she was probably raised on dry food so it's very hard to make her eat wet, and tbh I don't really enjoy cleaning up the terrible messes she makes when she's sick with wet food.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Mrs Kane wrote:I would feed her wet food. But she tends to either be sick shortly after having it or just turn her nose up at it completely.
Been there, done that, have shares in a kitchen roll company! :roll: I thought it was just mine that do that. Bob and the feline swill bucket never have that problem. But Willow and Purdy will will occasionally (too often for my liking) gobble down wet food and promptly bring it all back. Why do they do that?

What make of dry food does she have? Many companies have a 'light' version. Perhaps you could try those. I really do sympathise. I joke about Gracie, but her weight bothers me. She is really quite a dainty, small-featured cat (pretty little head and tiny feet), but that belly!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Which dry food do you feed her?

The supermarket brands are usually full of cereals and therefore carbs, which cats don't metabolize well.

I struggled for years with Kylie's weight. I switched her to Hill's light, but she was still gaining weight. I then switched her to Hill's r/d, which seemed to help a bit. She only really started losing weight when I switched her to wet food.

I have a different issue with her now as she is wasting away (due for a gut biopsy in a couple of weeks) with chronic diarrhea.
Last edited by MarkB on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Tiffany prefers dry to wet food, though she is an enthusiastic jelly-licker-offer

I think I might try measuring out a meanish portion of biscuits each morning and letting her have just a few on the floor, like treats, when she asks, to see if that keeps her happy - she does have a tendency to hunch over a bowlful and just steadily munch her way through the lot

anyone else found little and often works better?
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

anyone else found little and often works better?
The little and often technique is working quite well for me atm. I may be feeling optimistic but I think she's looking slightly thinner. She's definitely been more active in the past 2 days. A lot more like the cheeky cat I remember in the Spring.
I think Sofi's problem is that she tends to chow down like it's her last meal! At first I thought it was because the previous owner wasn't around enough. (She was a little bit of a "head in the clouds" person) But sadly she's kept this philosophy since we've had her.
Which dry food do you feed her?
What make of dry food does she have?
We feed her "Ultima for sterilized adult cats" Which the previous owner said the vet recommended for her. It costs a bomb so I'm hoping I haven't been taken for a ride this whole time.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

A few places here sell Ultima. It is 15% chicken, so still very high in carbs. I always think of it as being very similar to Purina One - sort of middling quality. I used to buy it for the garden cats as you often see the 400g bags for £1 in bargain shops - it is a Spanish brand.

It is a shame that not all cat food manufacturers quote the calories on the packs.

Finding a healthy food, at the right price, that they like is a bit of a minefield I know. It might be worth you looking on Zooplus and trying out a few small bags of weight loss food. One brand I can think of that is decent quality, but not too Expensive, is Sanabelle.