Plan for new kitten and its room

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Plan for new kitten and its room

Post by ishy93 »

Hello,

I am thinking of adopting a kitten in early November, it will be 11 weeks old. My intention is to keep the kitten in one of the downstairs living rooms at night as I am a very light sleeper and my sleep is essential to me as I have a chronic illness and so too do some of my other family members. I also intend for this living room to be its safe room (its "Base") for the first couple of days.

I have a corner suite in the living room, of which one of the back sides faces the patio doors and between both of them is enough space for a litterbox, this is where I intend to place the litter box, the floor is carpeted so I thought I would place something like a table cloth there so any dug up litter etc doesn't ruin the carpet. Here's an image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5yg0p ... sp=sharing

The litter I intend to use is wood pellets because the kittens have been using this since they were born and I've used it before when I've had to look after my friend's cats. Because this is the living room, I don't want the room to smell but I understand that ultimately poo is poo, so to tackle this I'm going to clean the litterbox entirely every evening and remove solids asap, also after the kittens done a poo I'll open the patio doors for about 5 minutes as there's no windows in the room. Regardless of the smell I intend to feed the kitten raw, I have read up on this and have the essential supplements but I have also read that this will considerably decrease the smell/size and moisture of the poo aswel.

I am going to place a standing scratching post in the room, large enough to support a fully grown cat. I'm hoping the kitten will direct its natural scratching instinct towards this post. I don't want it to go crazy on the leather sofas. I've bought some feliway. I will place a cat bed in this room, and some mice toys with and without catnip. I've bought the fishing poles which have feathers at the end of them to tire the kitten out before feeding it so hopefully it mimics the natural order of eating, (hunt,eat,groom,sleep).

Do you think my plan will work? And what do you think of my idea to tackle the smell? Do you think the scratching post idea will work? Will the cat shred things out of boredom at night? Will it be an issue that the floor is carpeted (in terms of smell/scratching) taking into consideration how I've planned things?

Another concern I had was that I have a chimney which as far as I know is closed somewhere in the middle, will the kitten try and climb it? Here's an image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5yg0p ... sp=sharing

If I'm going to get the kitten this will have to be its base because of circumstances, so please advise me accordingly.

Thanks.

Please offer my any other suggestions and if you think I could do anything better or differently please let me know.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Plan for new kitten and its room

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey Ishy (I have a D&D friend called Ishy, how lovely!)

It sounds like you've prepared pretty thoroughly for the kitten. I love the idea that you've already kitted out a safe place for them to stay and sorted out a place for their litter box as well! Good going on your part, I wish all future owners were so forward thinking!
I have to ask you though... Kittens can be a lot of hard work. With your ongoing illness do you think you'd be up to the task? I ask because kittens can and will eat up a lot of your time. They do tear up the furniture and they do wreck stuff if bored. (And sometimes if they're not!) It's inevitable.

Feliway can be great for some cats, and on some it'll have no effect whatsoever. (Just read some of the posts on here and you'll get my gist. Wow! I think I would've strangled some of these cats on the forums by now.)

Litter boxes when used with the right kind of litter (wood pellets sounds fine to me) doesn't cause a great deal of smell. I personally use a closed "carrier" type litter tray to minimize the smell (and because my cat doesn't seem to realise that even if her paws are in the tray, that doesn't mean her bum is ((points for whoever saw this joke for the second time running!!)) But generally I find no matter what type of litter you get as long as you clean it regularly the smell dissipates fairly rapidly. I also put a cheap air freshener block in the spare bathroom (I'm talking ASDA type, nothing special) where the tray is to help the smell if it's very bad and I worry about guests.

I haven't had any experience with feeding a kitten raw food but I would, as a precaution, check with a professional on what age to give kittens raw food. After all, The last thing you want is a sick cat yakking up on the carpet or a poorly cat that you need to take to the vet because of a digestion problem.

A scratching post sounds great! If you have any problems with them not using it I'd recommend just rubbing the post with maybe some dry kitten food and then maybe when they're older a little catnip if they're not responding to it.

As a side note I would do this: Before you get the cat wear a couple of ratty old t-shirts or jumpers that you don't care that much about as much as possible. The reason is the first week or so is going to be scary for a new kitten. If you play with them during the day and get them used to you, and then place one of these clothing items near them at night, they'll quiet down much easier and quicker. They'll also get used to your scent and be much happier around you. If the living room isn't used that much by you they're going to be terrified of being left alone without that familiar smell. So just drape a few shirts and/or jumpers about on sofas and on the floor and your kitten will sleep much easier. Don't be afraid to wash them and wear them again btw! As long as you put them back afterwards for the first month or so they'll respond much better at night.

I will say as much as you've prepared on this matter... Cats and kittens never quite work out the way you think. So be prepared for lots of surprises and..... well... Lets just say if you really love your suite I suggest you start buying either plastic covers or scratching tape for them. As for your fireplace. Certainly a kitten with be in there like butter on an upturned piece of bread. I'd recommend a fire guard until they're older.

Just as a last thing. It sounds like you've done a great job preparing for your house to have a cat... but maybe not that much time preparing to have the cat itself. When getting any pet you must step back and think to yourself: "Do I really want this?"
Now I may be getting mixed vibes here, but it sounds like you're more concerned over your possessions than the animal. I get that! Possessions are very valuable to us but I have to ask you: If you think that maintaining your house is more important than your prospective kitten... then maybe you shouldn't get one.

If you really want you can take my Cat Quiz on this! ;)

Are you ready for a cat? Take this quiz below to find out!

Q1: Are you willing to commit to caring for a cat for 16 years or more?
A: I can't think that far ahead.
B: I think so, but I'm not completely sure.
C: Yes, I am certain I can look after a cat for this amount of time.

Q2: Can you provide a minimum of two 20-minute play sessions with your cat each day?
A: Yes, I have time to play with my cat each day.
B: No, I'm busy all the time.
C: I believe so, but I might have to skip a few days.

Q3: Do you have time to groom and make sure your cat is happy with her coat?
A: He/She should clean their own coat!
B: I will go out and buy the brushes right now!
C: I will if they need it.

Q4: Your cat really needs to see the vet, pronto! Are you ready for the expense?
A: Not really.
B: I suppose.
C: Yes! Although I'd rather not.

Q5: Your cat is bored and is tearing up the furnishings. What do you do?
A: Smack her.
B: Give her treats.
C: Distract her with a toy.

Q6: You just bought a brand new couch and your cat is tearing it up. Do you?
A: Lock her out of the room permanently?
B: Buy a new scratching post for her next to the couch? Or move her old one.
C: Do nothing. It's just a couch after all.

Q7: Your kitten is having a little toilet trouble. How do you deal with this?
A: Lock them in the bathroom until they learn their lesson.
B: Scoop up the mess and put it in their litter tray, no fuss, no muss.
C: Clean the place from top to bottom so you won't get ill.

Q8: Your cat keeps crying while you are trying to study. Do you:
A: Go and see what the problem is straight away.
B: Ignore them. You need to pass this exam!
C: Wait and see if they continue.

Q9: Your cat has caught a mouse and has placed it in your bed. Do you:
A: Shriek!
B: Praise her for a good job.
C: Get up and clean the sheets immediately.

Q10: You're really low on money this week. Do you:
A: Buy your cat their normal food and eat salad until your pay arrives.
B: Buy them discount brand and eat the food you normally would.
C: Splash out and feed them the food you have bought.

Q11: Your friend is taking you on vacation for 3 days. Do you:
A: Take your cat with you?
B: Leave them with a whole bag of open food and a water fountain.
C: Hire a professional cat sitter.

Q12: You just got a bonus! Time to buy:
A: That coffee maker you always wanted.
B: The cat tower you know your cat will love.
C: A weekend of booze and good food!

Q13: Your cat is depressed but you don't know why. Do you:
A: Look for clues as to why and research them.
B: Hope they'll snap out of it.
C: Play with them until they stop being sad.

Q14: You're really ill. Do you:
A: shut your cat out of the bedroom.
B: Call your friend/relative to pick up the cat.
C: Go about your daily routine.

Q15: You have to move house across country. Do you:
A: Get rid of the cat.
B: Take the cat with you.
C: Leave the cat with a friend/relative in the area.

Please post your answers below and I'll grade them for you! :)
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Hello again, thank you Mrs Kane for replying, it makes me happy that you would post advice equally long or longer than my question :D .

I think in terms of giving time and attention to the kitten I should be alright because at the moment I only teach evening classes which run 4 till 7, I might start an apprenticeship soon but even then that will be from around 9 till 5 so I should still be able to give the kitten all the love and attention it needs. The only thing I cant compromise is on my sleep because if I don't get proper sleep, with proper REM Cycles, albeit short, it can affect how my medication works. But that doesn't mean I cant give the kitten medication or check on it at night if its ever ill.

I think you're correct about Feliway; some people swear on it that its miraculous, and some people say it does absolutely nothing.

I'm going to keep the litter box open or maybe have high ends but definitely not hooded/closed because I have read cats prefer open trays/boxes and they feel more secure as they can see oncoming threats, even though there should be none lol and I've read many owners saying some will happily use a covered box, a cats sense of smell is extremely sensitive compared to humans so I don't want the trapped odours in the box troubling little kitty. And I think I will get some cheap deodorizer, or air freshener, that should help alot.

I think the kitten should take to the post naturally because some of my friend's kittens when I've introduced them to posts they take to them straight away, if they don't you just show them by gently rubbing their paws on them, or during play make the feathers go up and down the post, they get the idea really quick, well the 8 week old kitten I looked after for a day got it.

Thank you for the shirts and scent idea, I did it in the past but I didn't think it would make that much of an impact and actually calm them down, I thought the unfamiliar scent of me might have an adverse reaction making kitty a bit nervous. But I'm definitely going to do that when I bring kitty home.

When originally writing the question I knew some people would get the vibe that my possessions seem more important to me than kitty, but that's because of the way I worded my question and on purpose I left it like that, I thought I'd get suggestions accordingly. The truth is my possessions mean little to me when it comes to the kitten, I always joke with my friends that in terms of desiring worldly things, I don't desire a fancy car, a mansion, or to be a millionaire, I'd rather have a simple life but one with cats in it. Then they think I'm crazy! :lol: Even thought financially I'm the average joe, I've already spent a lot of money, about £200 on the kitten.

With all honesty I have prepared myself on having the kitten (not just preparing the house), I have read The Cat Expert by Rebecca Watson and The Natural Cat by Anitra Fraizer and not to mention watched all episodes of My Cat from Hell, so I know what can go wrong and some preventative measures, well at least I hope. Ultimately I understand that a kitten is an animal, it has natural instincts and behaviours which need to be allowed, that's one of its rights as a living being and their will be some sort of destruction in the process and you have to have this compromise otherwise you cant really have any pet.

The reason I emphasized on the furniture and carpet before was because I live with my father and its his house, originally we were going to build an extension, a dedicated room just for the cats but I told my father that this wont have any real effect because after a couple of days the kitten will have free roam of the house so it will act out its natural behaviours anyway. So I explained the above to him and that we can only have the kitten if we are happy with that and truly accept it, he's said many times he's happy with it but the most I can, I would like to minimize destruction to his things, that's the fairest thing to do, but its not something that we would hold against or reprimand the kitten for.

Here are the answers to my quiz:
Q1: C
Q2: A
Q3: B (Already bought 2 brushes, even though its a short hair cat and only requires grooming every couple of days)
Q4: B
Q5: C
Q6: B
Q7: B (I will have to clean properly and also figure out whether its illness or litter box aversion or just a one off so I can deal with the situation accordingly)
Q8: A
Q9: A and C (I'm scared of mice! But i'll take it as a compliment and wont reprimand kitty)
Q10: A (RAW so I can give it from my own meat)
Q11: C (Leave kitty with family or friends)
Q12: B (Without doubt lool)
Q13: A and C
Q14: A and C (kitty is not going to be in the bedroom at night in the first place)
Q15: B

Again thank you for advice and help.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

*rubs hand together* Here we go!

Q1: C. Yes, I am certain I can look after a cat for this amount of time. - Wow, you sure have your life mapped out! I wish I was this organised! 2 points

Q2: A. Yes, I have time to play with my cat each day. - Sweet! Your cat is going to love you! 3 points

Q3: B (Already bought 2 brushes, even though its a short hair cat and only requires grooming every couple of days) I will go out and buy the brushes right now! - Woah there Nelly! Make sure you need them first! 2 points

Q4: B. I suppose. - You dread it just like moi? 2 points

Q5: C Distract her with a toy. - Ooooh shiny! 3 points

Q6: B Buy a new scratching post for her next to the couch? Or move her old one. - Oooh Shiny! 3 points

Q7: B (I will have to clean properly and also figure out whether its illness or litter box aversion or just a one off so I can deal with the situation accordingly).
:Scoop up the mess and put it in their litter tray, no fuss, no muss. - Hmm... If the paper says so, I'll poop here. 3 points

Q8: A. Go and see what the problem is straight away. - There's a good sheep. 2 points

Q9: A and C (I'm scared of mice! But i'll take it as a compliment and wont reprimand kitty) 2 points for an honest answer ;)

Q10: A (RAW so I can give it from my own meat) Buy your cat their normal food and eat salad until your pay arrives. - You're a Saint. Remind me to knight you. 2 points

Q11: C (Leave kitty with family or friends) Hire a professional cat sitter. - Wow, can I have some of your cash? 3 points

Q12: B (Without doubt lool) - The cat tower you know your cat will love. Need ye ask for a better owner? 2 points

Q13: A and C - 3 points! Although you technically cheated you get points for the creativity.

Q14: A and C (kitty is not going to be in the bedroom at night in the first place) 2 points.

Q15: B. 3 points!

Total: 37 out of 45.

You have a pretty good idea of what it takes to be a cat owner. You don't take any guff but you'll always be there when your kitty needs you. You understand that your cat's well being is the secret to a happy household. Make sure you also make time for yourself though, as happy owners make happy cats!
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Even though my rating is high, and it says I should be a good owner I still feel nervous lol.

I hope it all works out when I get kitty!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm sure you'll be fine - I wish everyone would consider cat ownership so thoroughly!

I can't improve on the good advice given but there's just one thing - if you plan to put something underneath the litter tray to protect the carpet, when a cat uses its loo, it can get pretty enthusiastic! Long furry arms can reach out and scrabble anything movable into the tray, so a tablecloth might not be ideal. If you've got an offcut of lino this might be better, or a length of plastic carpet protector - I think you can buy this very cheaply from Amazon or carpet stores, although it's perforated and will let any spills through.

Cat litter does get everywhere though. Crunchy bed, crunchy socks...

All the very very best with your new kitty! :D
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Hello Lilith, thank you for your advice.

You're correct about the table cloth, I think I will go to the local market and buy some material which is heavy and leather like, in dimensions something around 2m x 2m. The material will cover the area around the litterbox, definitely more than just the immediate area around the litterbox and I will also tuck the material under the sofa so it cant be lifted or moved, somehow I'll have to secure it.

I thought instead of getting a fire guard to cover the chimney, I thought id just cover it with chicken wire with holes that are 2cm in diameter, so unlike the fire guard it will be less conspicuous in the sense that it wont look like its taking up much space. Just to be clear again I understand that if I have a pet of any kind there has to be compromise, and me and my family are happy to do that, but it is my dad's house and possessions and even though he is happy with everything, I want to try my best to keep him happy and comfortable the most I can.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Sorry I posted another post on here after the quiz. But for some reason it's disappeared and I can't remember what I said. (To unblame the site I was very tired last night and may of turned off the computer before sending) No reason for me to say this other than I read the thread back and my exit seemed abrupt. So I'm sorry about that.

As for the fire guard: I think that chicken wire sounds grate! (pardon the pun) As long as it's secured to the mantle or the fireplace I think it'll be okay.
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Not a problem Mrs Kane,

Thank You for getting back to me and for your help and advice, it really helps and boosts my confidence lol. I think I'm more nervous than I should be. I think it's because I've wanted a cat since I was just five and after waiting for 17 years the time has finally come so I really want it to work out well and smoothly.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I know how you feel Ishy. I wanted a cat for years and my parents never approved of them. After I moved to Spain, never before owning a pet whilst living independently, I was determined to do it right! (Which is why I'm here coincidentally)

So I did months and months of research trying to find the right cat that would be happy in our little Spanish apartment and how to take care of it. I signed up to about a million and one rescue centres in the area and visited more than a few (Please just imagine my terrible Spanish accent as I try and tell the receptionists what I'm looking for. I think most answers to my questions were "Que?" (what?)) I signed up to this site and underlined my idea (much like you have done) as well.
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Hello again everyone.

Moving away from the subject of the original post: Soon i will be going to choose the kitten i want from the litter, my friend says he has one full white kitten from among seven. Originally i never thought i'd want a full black/white kitten, but i cant deny it they have a certain elegance about them.

There is one concern i have which is stopping me from adopting a fully white kitten; i have read that white cats are considerably more susceptible to skin cancer, and the images of amputations have made me think about this a lot. The question is, is skin cancer something i should be worried about considering i live in Manchester; in the past couple of years we've had warm and sunny summers, but the rest of the year its our normal "British Weather", also the father of all the kittens is fully white and he is a perfectly healthy cat that has access to the outdoors whenever he wishes except at night.

Please let me know what you think, especially if anyone has first hand experience regarding this issue.

Thanks again everyone.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Manchester! :lol:

Though I should laugh - I live in the full blast of the Wakefield mistral! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I once had a white and ginger tom who honoured me with his presence for a few years; he had white ears and before he moved in with me he lived on the street and he never showed a sign of sunburn/cancer on his ears though we did have a few hot summers (summer? What's summer? I seem to remember that word from somewhere) during the period I knew him.

It can be a serious concern though, I agree, and you can buy special suncreams to apply to the ears - other members on here will know more than me; my streetwise Ali tended to take a siesta during the hottest hours.

But I don't think you've much to worry about in rainy Manchester; if you fancy that white kitten, I'd go for it, why not? :)
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Hey Lilith, thanks for replying.

Yes i read about the sunscreen, vets online say its essential in sunny weather. But being honest its not something i would like to go to the trouble of applying every day for one or two months if we have a very warm and sunny summer like this June and July.

Do you think at times like that i would have to apply sunscreen in a place like Manchester. Come to think of it though, if i did adopt a white kitten considering the bond I'd develop with it; i would apply sunscreen and try my best to keep it healthy and protected from any harm. Having the choice now I'd prefer not to lol.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much; if you decide on a kitten with white ears, it will probably have the wisdom to stay out of the sun on really hot days; most cats seek the shade after an hour's basking - though of course they're all different!

If it was me, I'd keep sunscreen in my medicine cabinet, but I'd only apply it on a very hot day/if the cat was a sunworshipper; lolling about in the sun all day. Other people on here with more knowledge please feel free to expand/disagree with this of course.

It's easy to worry about details like this when you're planning a new addition - like having a baby lol - I used to breed Siamese and oh the panic before and after each new litter, while their mother lay back placidly and said, 'leave it to me, Lil!' But you just sort of get used to the situation; you find yourself taking everything in your stride, and you'll do the same :)

I wouldn't let the ears/sunscreen put you off that white kitten if that's the one you want, though of course another of the litter may choose you...worst case scenario is that you'll do what I once did, go to collect one kitten and get chosen by another and go home with TWO kittens :lol:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Lilith wrote:go to collect one kitten and get chosen by another and go home with TWO kittens :lol:
In all honesty, if there is anyway you can afford two kittens then I'd do exactly that. They'll have each other for company (esp at night when you need your sleep) and when the time comes for you to start your apprenticeship then again - they'll have each other for company.

best of luck!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

meriad wrote:
Lilith wrote:go to collect one kitten and get chosen by another and go home with TWO kittens :lol:
In all honesty, if there is anyway you can afford two kittens then I'd do exactly that. They'll have each other for company (esp at night when you need your sleep) and when the time comes for you to start your apprenticeship then again - they'll have each other for company.

best of luck!
Lol Meriad - that was back in 1983 - and the last time I ever put up a Christmas tree! :shock: :lol:
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Hello again Lilith and Meriad,

When i go to choose the kittens i will probably get "chosen" by 3 or 4 kittens, they're all pretty wonderful in terms of behavior like their parents; though you never really know until you've adopted them.

I don't mind getting two kittens or even three, I'd like to get two but i cant. It is not due to financial reasons but because my family only wants one so there's no question of getting another, also i feel comfortable and confident in getting one. I know the work is the same, there's not that much difference, but i want to get one and make sure everything works out, hopefully there are plenty of possibilities in the future to get more lol.

I don't think the kitten will get lonely after it settles in because there's always around 3 family members in the house and sometimes even friends, plus when the kittens older it will have access to the outdoors during the day when it pleases. Most likely i should be able to sleep fine because the kitten will be in the living room downstairs.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I don't think you need worry about getting a white kitten, if that's the one you'd really like. I'm not far from Manchester and had an all white cat for 14 years without any problems caused by the sun, and he loved to lie outside in the garden for hours in the sunniest spot he could find, on days when I found it too hot for comfort. I did put high factor children's sun cream on his ears on very sunny days. If you do decide to adopt that one - be warned - check before buying the sun cream to make sure it's white. One year I bought some and then found that it was a lovely shade of turquoise, so every sunny day he looked quite a picture with his colourful ears!! :lol: :lol:
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Thanks for the advice Alice,

I feel considerably reassured after reading your post, especially coz you're from round my ends, it reaffirms my assumption about the Father of the kittens and his health: that his good health is probably not just luck but because of our general weather here in Manchester.

I think sunscreen will be a necessity on very sunny days, its the logical thing to do and everyone's recommended it, but again considering its Manchester i don't think we'll have to many of them days.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey Ishy,

I'm glad you're moving along at the adoption end. It makes me happy to know a kitten is going to such a good home :D

On a not so nice subject:
I want to say something that may call me a downer on some level. But if you come back and say something like this and I don't say it now I don't think I could live with myself.

If and when you pick your kitten, if he/she is all white, you may want to check for deafness.

I only say this because of my friend Daniel in Ireland. He has two all white cats and they are both deaf. Apparently it's genetic and stronger in cats that are all white. He picked the second cat up specially for the first as a friend because they must be housebound due to not hearing cars and predators and whatnot.

I'm not saying your future kitten is deaf, far from it, but I'm saying a little sound test might be worth looking into.

On a nicer subject:
As a friendly "I told you so" for the future. Our cat is mostly white, apart from her face and tail. So for the love of God don't buy any black jeans or trousers :lol: It's a nightmare! Lint roller Awaaaaay!

Good luck on your new kitten and I'm sorry for being a downer. I just wanted you to know just in case.

Love MK
ishy93
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ishy93 »

Hello again Mrs Kane, hope your doing well.

I'm moving along the adoption end but i might add there's still a long wait. I'm going to adopt the kitten when its 11 weeks old; so it learns more about being a cat from its mom, and what type of play is acceptable or not. So in three weeks time I'll go to choose the kitten when its 8 weeks old. But being truthful the wait feels like forever and I'm so tempted to get it at 8 weeks, but I'll be patient; i think patience is a virtue in this case lol.

Regarding what you said about the possibility of deafness in white kittens, i don't think its a downer at all. Honestly, I'm glad you mentioned it; i was surprised no one else mentioned it but i wasn't really concerned about deafness because wherever i read about cancer the issue of deafness followed, and regardless of whichever kitten i choose i was going to check if the hearing was alright any way.

Thanks again for the advice regarding clothing, its true. I noticed myself that even though my friend's got many cats i only notice white hairs if he's got dark clothing on lol; no trace of the other cats. The reason i asked about the cancer issue was i 'might' get a white kitten, its like i said; i think they have a certain elegance about them. That doesn't mean that'l be the one, coloration isn't a determining factor, the kitten will probably choose me. I really adore tuxedo and tabby coloration aswel, they are my favorite, but their personality is a major determining factor.

Thanks again for the advice.