Fostering adult cats

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Notfatjustfluffy
New Cat Chatter

Fostering adult cats

Post by Notfatjustfluffy »

Hi there

I grew up in a house full of animals and now have two animal mad girls (5 and 9). They have been on at me about getting a cat. They constantly "rehome" wood louse, ladybirds, snails (they have drawn the line at slugs). AND my landlady has said we can have a cat...

I did think it might not hurt to foster a cat for a bit to see how things go rather than adopting a cat and then discovering it doesn't work for is (youngest is allergic to so many things although cats don't appear to set her off. But another trip in the ne-nah cause she can't breathe is the last thing we need).

Have called two local centres and they only want people to foster kittens which I'm not keen on as it is a rented home and I won't be there during school hours.

Any suggestions? Any shelters looking for adult cat foster homes? Happy for it to be longer term and to cover all expenses including insurance...

Any advice welcome :-)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Fostering adult cats

Post by meriad »

I would be surprised if there isn't a rescue that would snap up your offer. Where in the UK are you?

Have a look on this link: http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and see what rescues are close to you
Notfatjustfluffy
New Cat Chatter

In 'the corner' - Live in Somerset but less than five minutes to either Dorset or Wilts. Tried two shelters, will email more this evening, thank you :-)
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Have you tried Somerset and Dorset Animal Rescue in Wincanton?

Do you mean fostering with a view to adopting? Otherwise, if the cat you're fostering gets adopted by someone else then it could be very sad for your girls.

I think some rescues allow you to adopt with the provision that they'll take the cat back if it doesn't work out.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Oh, and one other word of advice is to get a written confirmation from your landlord - or a contact number - so the rescue can be 100% assured that it's OK.

best of luck and please do let us know how you get on
Notfatjustfluffy
New Cat Chatter

Dorset & Somerset only have kittens for fostering at the moment but they do have a couple of lovely looking adoption options... :-)