Buying cat food in bulk...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Vikstabee84
New Cat Chatter

Buying cat food in bulk...

Post by Vikstabee84 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked before.. We currently have 10 cats and I am wondering if anyone knows where we can buy cat food in bulk, preferably online. We care currently buying 36 tins per week, litter and dry biscuits for around £26 a week. Food is a mixture of whiskas and kitekat. Would like to stick to these brands or similar but would like to get the price down, I asked my local pet shop if they could do anything but I never heard anything back from them and when I have searched for wholesalers they don't seem to be much cheaper? I have emailed Whiskas as I thought they might be able to help but they just suggested to look at wholesalers. Any help would be much appreciated or pointed in the right direction. Thankyou in advance. :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Buying cat food in bulk...

Post by Kay »

Buying supermarkets' own brand would save money, and are probably exactly the same as Felix and Kitekat

You might try asking any local animal rescues where they buy their food and litter
Vikstabee84
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vikstabee84 »

I have tried them with a few supermarket own brands and they don't seem to like it so I went back to the other ones, seemed like more of a waste as I was throwing it away. They have tried, tesco, asda, aldi and lidl and don't like them, I can occasionally get away with tesco as long as they don't have it day after day. I will get in touch with some animal rescue places and see what they say. Thank you for the reply.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have bought for charities on occasion from both Amazon and Pet Supermarket, but you really have to watch the prices.

The other one I would recommend if you have storage space it to keep an eye out if you have an Asda near you, they normally have pet food on offer about once a month, normally at the start of the month. I don't know about Whiskers and Kitekat as mine only eat Felix and the occasional box of Tiger or Gourmet, but if i am picky over when I buy it I can often get it for half price of so. Also check the price of the larger (44 pouches) boxes and tins, they are often cheaper per 100g than the normal 12 pouch packs.

I have to agree that buying what they won't eat is false economy, you end up throwing so much away and have the cats doing their pathetic 'I'm starving' routine every time you go in the kitchen.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Have you looked at Pet's at Home, they do multi-buys on tins.
Vikstabee84
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vikstabee84 »

I didn't know that about asda - thankyou I will have a look! I normally shop online with tesco, they have reduced the selection of tinned food and don't sell Felix tins anymore. We did pop in asda the other week just for cat food and they had no tins at all, there were empty shelves so not sure what had happened there but will go and have another look next week as it will be the start of a new month. I have looked at the food briefly in pets at home before but will take another look now that we have decided to try and get the price down and see what they have. I suppose it's never going to go down too much with ten of them to feed but it's just the way things have turned out. Thanks for your help
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I wonder if you've tried giving them Butcher's classic - it's a good food and widely available. 6 x 400g cans around £2.50, 12 for £5, or slightly less when on offer.

Mine are enjoying Felix cans atm - the cheapest I've found recently are at Poundstretcher 12 for £5.99.

For big packs of pouches, and dry food, online, have a look at Zooplus or Bitiba (part of Zooplus, can be slightly cheaper).
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I buy all my cat food from Zooplus and it works out quite reasonable - and best is delivered right to my door.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Zooplus won't deliver here (NI) Mine do like Butchers Choice but I also tried them on Lidl's Coshida tins (well one of them) last week. They used to have the pouches but had gone off them. I saw the tin - I'd not noticed them before, don't know why, and thought I would try one. They all loved it! Can't remember the price, but it wouldn't be much. There is lots of gravy in the tin and they lick the bowl clean. :lol:

Tried them with Tiger - the reaction was 'blah'.
Vikstabee84
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vikstabee84 »

Thank you for your replies, I will try lidl again as it's been a while since then had it and I will look into where my nearest pound stretcher is. I will take a look at zooplus and see what the prices are like. Thanks again for your replies xx
Joaobeneditosimoes
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Joaobeneditosimoes »

Buy from zooplus for over a year and í'm very pleased
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Anoter good one is B&M stores. They sell main brands. Their standard prices are as good as - and usually better than supermarket deals. They don't sell the full ranges, but still a decent selction. Felix and Whiskas are 2 boxes for £5 As Good as it Looks (inc doubly delicious) are 3 boxes for £9 - not to mention all the cut price branded toiletries and household stuff. Well worth a trip.