Allergic to cats

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
SuB
Returning Cat Chatter

Allergic to cats

Post by SuB »

Hi I'm wondering if any cat owners have any tips or suggestions I could put into place when my daughter in law, who is allergic to cats, visits me? 5 months ago I got a lovely big rescue tom who is roughly 5 years old. I usually vacuum the carpet in the lounge (Dyson with HEPA filter) before she arrives and she does not touch or go near the cat. On Boxing day I did a buffet lunch for the family and kept my cat outside because the food on offer to the humans was just too tempting for him! After about 2 hours my daughter in law's allergy escalated from itchy eyes to tightening of her chest and wheezing. She takes an anti histamine tablet before visiting. Does anyone know of or tried a spray that can be used to spray the rooms before being visited by a sufferer? I believe that the problem is not the cat hairs but the dander.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Allergic to cats

Post by Janey »

Hi, if you click on the link below and scroll down there’s a section on Allergies with further links, which may all be helpful:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/rehome ... #allergies
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Just a couple of things to mention. You say you vacuum the carpets before they arrive, what about the seats and cushions, even the curtains if the cat brushes past them to reach a windowsill. We have a Dyson and it comes with an attachment for doing soft furnishings so if yours has that I would recommend using it before they arrive.

You can also get get cat wipes that are supposed to be good for removing the dander and are meant to be good at helping with allergies. If you can get him used to being wiped over regularly it would probably help and prevent any build up between visits.
SuB
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by SuB »

Thank you Janey and Ruth B for your suggestions. I followed the link and will definitely try some of the products. Of course I will also clean the suite (leather), cushions and surfaces. The curtains are not an issue really. Many thanks for your help.
SuB
Returning Cat Chatter

Update

Post by SuB »

I purchased Petalcleanse for the boy and Aircleanse spray for the rooms. Both are made by Bio-Life and I am delighted to say that this combination has worked well against my daughter in law's allergy. These products are now used weekly and we have a happy home! :D
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

:D That’s great news SuB! so pleased things are working out for you all now.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Thank you for updating - it's great to have first hand feed back from someone. I am hoping that my nephew who lives in Germany will come visit in either March or April and he is allergic so good to know the combination of both does work