A bit of a concern

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
megan
New Cat Chatter

A bit of a concern

Post by megan »

Hi .I have a bit of a concern about next doors cat,The woman used to live in the other street and she had one cat [about 3 years ago]she used to go away on holidays for 2 weeks leaving the cat outside .Cut a long story short ,The cat hardly got in the house when it wanted to she would just ignore it.The RSPCA got involved as the cat became sick and was in a real state with bleeding eyes ,nose and mouth.At that time when the RSPCA came and took the cat, she was on holiday as well.
3 years on she has moved a couple of houses along from me. This woman has now got 2 cats and 2 dogs.
The little cat is getting the same treatment by being left outside in all weathers .She has been reported to the RSPCA but they said its not urgent enough.
The weather is getting colder and this little feline is going to get sick too.The other cat she has gets left out too and she still goes away for 2 weeks on holidays sometimes weekends .
Any advise please?
megan
New Cat Chatter

Re: A bit of a concern

Post by megan »

Anyone got any advise?
Its very cold outside?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Megan and welcome.

This kind of owner is a nightmare and it's a tough situation. In my experience often the only solution can be to 'steal' the cat/cats and take them to a shelter - if there's a shelter with room for them!

What do you know of the owner? Is she aggressive (in which case you have to be careful) or just plain apathetic? Are the cats thin? They're obviously neglected. I don't know how you feel about putting food down for them or if you have a garden shed they could shelter in, but with the owner being on your doorstep this may be far from feasible! Will the cats come to you?

Perhaps your first step might be to contact your local Cats' Protection and other local shelters -

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-r ... uk-ireland

And make the situation clear, that these cats are in need but that, in the circumstances, you may be unable to help them. Cats' Protection can do nothing without the owner's consent, and I'm not sure about other shelters but ... well ... rules HAVE been broken, I know. And a lot depends on rescues' resources and space, but it's worth ringing round and asking.

Good on you for caring and I do hope you get somewhere - please let us know how you go on.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

if you are able/willing to spend your own money on this cat, I can highly recommend Mr Snugs cat kennels - I have been looking after two strays for a couple of years, and have two of them with liners and self-heating pads which have kept them warm and healthy through all weathers

it cost me a fair bit, but it was worth it so I could sleep at night

another alternative if you have a garden shed is to put a cat flap in and provide a warm bed inside

this is assuming you are not in a position to bring the cat inside your own home