Cat flap issue

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Katrina
New Cat Chatter

Cat flap issue

Post by Katrina »

I have read the previous posts on this subject. My cat is halfway there to using the flap. He goes in and out if the flap if: either usbtaoed fully open it partially open. As long as it's 1/ 2 or even a 1/4 open he will use. But won't use it if he has to open it fully himself. I watched him when I received with food and he nearly did but stopped as ifvhevwas scared the flap would spring back on his head. He's a timid cat and has taken a lot of training to 1. Get him outside and 2. To get him peeing etc outside. This took virtually 2 years of persistence. I got him as a two year old male who had been a show cat. I do think the problem is relating to him being scared of the flap. He can see outside as the flap is in a window and has no problems going through it if it's partially open. I don't want it left open during winter. Any ideas?
Katrina
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat flap issue

Post by Lilith »

Hi, Katrina and welcome :)

I've no experience with catflaps and I realise I'm a little off-topic here. This is a subject on which there are many differing opinions - some people believe that it's a cat's right and instinct to roam and hunt; others prefer to know just where they are. Depends on where you live, of course, and how safe it is for the cat to go out, but I can't help feeling that your boy must have been brought up to a very sheltered life and found it hard to learn to go out like a traditional cat, and I wonder if in fact he really wants to, especially in this cold weather.

Your concern for him shows - otherwise you wouldn't have posted, but mightn't it be better to simply shelve this problem until the warmer weather when he might be more attracted to going outside? I agree with you - no way would I want a blast of cold air blowing through the window day and night!

Also I do feel that, whatever the habits of the cat, it's best to provide a tray in case of illness or bad weather; even the most hardy cat may prefer to use a sheltered and unthreatening spot indoors on occasion - better than an accident.

Hopefully other people will be along with more advice soon, hope you reach a compromise with your boy, and all the best :)
BobbiRobbie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by BobbiRobbie »

Welcome Katrina :)

I can't give advice on the cat flap I'm afraid as my boy Charlie would just sit by the back door and meow when he wanted to go out. In the eight years I had him I only ever saw him pee in the garden once. He would always go back into the house from the garden to use his litter tray and then go back outside :lol:

I'd definitely keep a litter tray in the house for your kitty as an option. You say he was a show cat; would this have meant he was kept indoors pretty much all the time? I don't know, just a speculation.

As Lilith says, it might be something to try again when the weather is nicer and he has more incentive to go out :)

Jo
Katrina
New Cat Chatter

Post by Katrina »

Thank you but there is no problem with him outside to per. I don't need a litter tray. Thats not the issue here. The issue is for him to be able to go outside and enjoy himself when he wants to e.g. early hours of the morning he likes to go outside not necessarily to pee but to chase insects and hunt. He likes being outside to pee as he likes the soft soil in the garden. I don't know why I'm getting reploes focusing on litter bixes. What I want help for is TRAINING him to use the cat flap.
However thank you for trying to help.
Katrina
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

One of my cats refused to use the cat flap properly for over a year after I got her. Like you lad she would use it if it was part open but not if it was fully shut, she almost didn't seem to realise that she could push it to start it opening. I won't however recommend what ended up working for her.

We were trying to get her and another cat boxed to go to the vets for their boosters. She doesn't like being handled and in the course of trying to catch her and get her in the carrier she had got really worked up and both myself and my OH had found out just how good her claws were. In the end we decided that enough was enough and we would just take the other one. We had locked and put boards in front of the cat flap to stop any escapes while we were getting them ready, and having a third cat we opened it up so that one could come and go while we were out. The next thing I knew was that Freyja was out of the cat flap and down the bottom of the garden. She has never looked back and used the cat flap to come and go as she pleases ever since, she just needed to right incentive to make her realise that she could open it herself.

I have a feeling that at some point your boy will learn as well. While I wouldn't worry too much about getting him to go out during the bad weather you might be able to use it to your advantage when he wants to come back in. Let him out when he wants to go out but then try and leave the cat flap as closed as possible so he has to open it to come back in when he is ready to. I used a clothes peg to hold mine open which would be fine with only one cat but was a nightmare with three, but it does mean you can leave it open just half an inch or so. When he does want to come back in don't go and let him in straight away, give it 15 to 30 minutes, he won't come to any harm being left out for that length of time even if he is a bit cold and wet, and it might be enough to make him decided to take things into his own paws and try the cat flap again. Eventually leave him out for a short time with the flap actually closed and see if he can manage it then. I would never suggest going out and leaving him stuck outside but if you can watch and make sure he doesn't get too distressed being left out then it might help.

Like the others I would suggest having a litter tray available as well. When its cold and wet and dark I wouldn't want to have to go and use an outdoor privy either.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I would second Ruth's advice too

just one word of warning though - it is possible for a cat flap to ice up during really cold weather, so always check it is swinging freely before you shut the door with him outside
Katrina
New Cat Chatter

Post by Katrina »

Thanks so much for your advice Ruth and Kay. I feel like we are getting there and I'm at the stage with only about 1 inch open and using a peg one way and blue tac the other. Yeah I haven't managed to be mean enough about closing for him to come back in. I guess I want to make sure he feels safe. Cats are nocturnal creatures and given half a chance they will go out at night in the dark. I've got plenty of Bush and hedges etc and have dispensed with the litter tray some time ago. If he wants out in Middle of the night I just let him. Thanks for advice about ice on the cat flap I hadn't thought of that. I'm hoping by another 6 months to have got him fully trained.i think you are right I think he doesn't realise he can open it all himself. Thanks heaps.
Katrina
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

When I first had a cat flap put in, my cat Rocky was interested, but didn't seem to know what to do with it. Also, because it was new, the draught excluder was quite stiff, so it needed a good push. I sat him in front of it, took hold of both his front paws, and used the paws to push the flap open. After a couple of times, he got the idea. Later he began using his nose, but still tends to use a paw to help.
BobbiRobbie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by BobbiRobbie »

Katrina wrote:Thank you but there is no problem with him outside to per. I don't need a litter tray. Thats not the issue here. The issue is for him to be able to go outside and enjoy himself when he wants to e.g. early hours of the morning he likes to go outside not necessarily to pee but to chase insects and hunt. He likes being outside to pee as he likes the soft soil in the garden. I don't know why I'm getting reploes focusing on litter bixes. What I want help for is TRAINING him to use the cat flap.
However thank you for trying to help.
Katrina
Apologies for getting the wrong end of the stick. Glad you got some good advice about the cat flap :)