Food bowls

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Food bowls

Post by lazarus »

Why do kittens leave some food around the edge of a circular bowl?
If I scoop the remains back into the middle then kittens will finish it of. Another odd quirk of cats I presume.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Food bowls

Post by Lilith »

:lol:

For such precise creatures, cats are SLOBS when it comes to eating ... :lol:
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by AndyMac »

Its to do with their sight - they cannot focus on things close up.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

At least they eat it in the bowl, as opposed to my Freyja who will happily drag a half pouch size piece of Felix in jelly out of the bowl and the proceed to eat half of it in the kitchen doorway, leaving the rest for us to step in.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

They can focus on spiders, though, and that rare moth you were trying to identify at 1 am in the kitchen ... before someone went, wallop, chomp, goodbye, poor mothy mothy ... :o :o :o
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

There are cats and cats. Some, like my refined lady Tilly nearly always leave something in or around the bowl. Greedy guts like my old ginger lad Misty, never left anything, whether it was in, round or under his bowl or in Honey's bowl! Next door's Tay is similar.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ruth B wrote:At least they eat it in the bowl, as opposed to my Freyja who will happily drag a half pouch size piece of Felix in jelly out of the bowl and the proceed to eat half of it in the kitchen doorway, leaving the rest for us to step in.
At least you don't find punctured pouches under the bed with a trail of gravy and goo from the kitchen :shock: The kittens are alarmingly smart - and sneaky!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

At least you don't find punctured pouches under the bed with a trail of gravy and goo from the kitchen :shock: The kittens are alarmingly smart - and sneaky!
There are times when cans are definitely superior!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

alanc wrote:
There are times when cans are definitely superior!
If the little beggars will eat tinned food! :roll:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

bobbys girl wrote:
Ruth B wrote:At least they eat it in the bowl, as opposed to my Freyja who will happily drag a half pouch size piece of Felix in jelly out of the bowl and the proceed to eat half of it in the kitchen doorway, leaving the rest for us to step in.
To do that they would have to open the cupboard door then climb over everything to get to the top shelf and get the pouches out of the boxes. I know it wouldn't be impossible for them, but it is too much like hard work for not enough reward for my lot, when they can just pester me to open a pouch for them.

However when I was a lot younger my Mum used to buy raw heart or liver on occasions for the cats. One of them (my guess would be Fangs) managed to open the fridge door and drag the packet out. Fortunately it was one from the supermarket that was a plastic tray with vacuum sealed plastic over the ofal and then a plastic seal across the top. There were plenty of teeth marks in it and some torn plastic on the top layer, but the full packaging had fooled her. Cling film covered prawn cocktails, or ham salads barely slowed her down, but she wouldn't eat the prawns in the sauce, she had to pick out the clean ones.