Alice

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Jamsie22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Alice

Post by Jamsie22 »

I lost my wonderful Alice aged 9 suddenly on Sunday. She was the most lovable tabby and we had wonderful years together. She slept on my bed each evening and entwined her paw around my fingers.
I very aggressive tom cat came to live near recently and I had to keep Alice in then and change her routine, including using a litter tray for first time.
She suddenly got a very bad asthma attack on Friday evening, brought her to vet and she improved and came home. She woke me early on Sunday, crying out in pain every 2 minutes and barely was able to breath. I brought her to vet. While waiting she put her paw out to me as i rubbed her chin. I left her with vet and she died 20 minutes later.
She was fully healthy until this attack. Her death was either from allergy to litter clay or extreme stress of tom cat picking on her when she went out
I feel wracked with guilt that i could not save her when so young still. I miss her terribly
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Alice

Post by bobbys girl »

Dear Jamsie,

I am so sorry to hear about Alice. What a terrible shock for you and how sad. I've tried to think of something to say, but I can't. Just know I am thinking of you and sending (hugs).
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry to hear what happened to Alice. By the sound of it, the vet wasn't exactly sure what might have set the reaction off, so please don't be too hard on yourself over what you might or might not have done to help her. The most important thing is that she came to you for help when she was in pain and struggling to breathe, and you did exactly that and took her to the vets. As she obviously knew you would - I can't tell you how important that security is, it means everything.

I wish I could say something to help but, like Sue, I'm thinking of you. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace much loved Alice. xx
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by BarryK001 »

Very sorry to hear about Alice. I hope all of us trying to cope with recent losses are managing ok.

Barry.
Mainecoon
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Mainecoon »

RIP Beautiful Alice . Thinking of you at tis time xx
Zaccydupe
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Zaccydupe »

Jamsie, I am so very sorry to hear about Alice, you obviously had a very special bond, all you can do is cherish the relationshio you had. Please dont feel guilty - we all do that, Alice is a very special girl. I can't say anything to make you feel better ...hugs to you. x
Jamsie22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Jamsie22 »

Thanks for all the kind words - it's also re-assuring to know my experience not unique either. Still finding it very raw and house feels especially empty coming back in or in early morning. Friends etc great, but feeling it hard to keep on talking about Alice to them. Still wishing i could have saved her and shocked with the suddenness of it all. But, I suppose such as life.
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by BarryK001 »

Its so very hard to lose a much loved cat, especially when it is sudden. I didnt realise just how attached I was to our little cat until she was no longer there. The sadness is overwhelming. You are right that knowing there are other caring people out there who have gone through these experiences does help. So thanks to all who share their words of comfort here to help us cope.

Barry.
Jamsie22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Jamsie22 »

One never knows what is around the corner. I vowed once my beloved Alice died last year, that i would never get another cat. A few months ago a feral cat starting coming for food. She stayed + had 2 kittens. Thanks to help of a wonderful local group, Galway Cat Rescue, they have been neutered/spayed etc. They now have a wonderful winter bed and are there for food all the time. I know there are lots of issues with feral cats, but these are semi-tame already and there is a co-dependence.
They will never replace companionship I had with Alice, but it is good to have company and responsibilities again

Just thought I would share,

Jamsie
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

I am so pleased you feel able to help another cat or two Jamsie. It’s heartbreaking when we lose our pets, I know only too well and sometimes hard to love and look after another for a while. I am sure your little babes knew where to come for help. I’ve looked after ferals now for about 16 years and love them as any of my own indoors and makes me happy to see them every day. I hope you post some photos of them soon :) would love to see them.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's lovely news Jamsie. I'd like to see photo's too!

BTW didn't know you were in Galway - greetings from Fermanagh - God's own country. :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Jamsie that's great news. I'm glad I've have my 3 musketeers - though Mayday will always be so special to me. It's nice arriving home & being greeted from a window cill, the front door or the dining room table. Agree with Bobbysgirl pics... Vivian