My Max is gone

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Sammik
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My Max is gone

Post by Sammik »

:cry:

I woke up this morning & left for work as normal to find my beloved cat Max dead in the front garden. He was only 6 years old & a lovely pet. I'm gutted, I have no idea what happened to him. I'm guessing he got hit by a car, as there were no marks on him. He neally made it home, bless him xxxx I have always been an owner of 2 cats, my other cat is elderly & just recently been diagnosed with onset kidney failure. He's also got arthritis as he's a bit wobbly. He has never been a one house cat, but is it really fair to bring a kitten into the house & subject him to that. But how is he going to cope with missing his friend... It so sad you can't explain to them, Max went out of the front door & never came back. I can't stop crying, it's awful.....
catly254
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: My Max is gone

Post by catly254 »

I am so sorry for what you are going through at the moment, i know how it feels to loose a beloved cat. I know wherever Max's soul is he is at peace and knows that you loved and cared for him.
Sammik
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Sammik »

thank you for your kind words x
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Very sorry to hear of Max's death. I know how you feel. It may not have been a traffic accident, though. Some diseases (such as cancer or heart disease) can lead to sudden death with little or no precursor. Unfortunately cats are very good at disguising symptoms. (My Badger died of cancer at 5 and a half years - he had been for his annual check up 6 weeks earlier and passed fit.)
Sammik
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Sammik »

Thank You Alan C for your kind words - I just pray & hope he didn't suffer.... I guess it's the shock of it more than anything at this moment in time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry to hear about Max. It is a horrible shock for you. It may be a RTA, but it might also be a heart attack. There is not much you could have done either way. I lost a cat that way, fit (seemingly) one minute and gone the next. The only comfort we have is it was quick.

I wish there was something I could say to take away the pain. I can only offer my sympathy and a great big (hug)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry to hear about Max, it must be such a shock for you. As others have said, you will probably never be sure what happened, it might have been a car or it might have been an illness, at least it was quick and he had been enjoying himself moments before hand.

As for getting another cat, it is a hard one. I made the mistake just under two years ago, when my old Ragdoll, Blue, succumbed to old age and left me with a 12 year old moggy. i got two 6 month old youngsters from a rescue centre thinking they would play together and leave her alone. It hasn't quite gone according to plan and the young lad seems to take great pleasure from teasing and antagonising her. Not bad enough to send him back, but enough to make me realise it probably wasn't the best decision. Have you considered contacting a local charity and see if they have any older cats they would like fostered. An older, placid cat might be a better companion for yours during his twilight years, and when his time finally comes you can then look for a couple of new kitten with out the worry of them upsetting a resident cat.
Sammik
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Sammik »

bobbys girl wrote:I am so sorry to hear about Max. It is a horrible shock for you. It may be a RTA, but it might also be a heart attack. There is not much you could have done either way. I lost a cat that way, fit (seemingly) one minute and gone the next. The only comfort we have is it was quick.

I wish there was something I could say to take away the pain. I can only offer my sympathy and a great big (hug)
Thank you so much for your lovely words xxxx
Sammik
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Sammik »

Ruth B wrote:I am so sorry to hear about Max, it must be such a shock for you. As others have said, you will probably never be sure what happened, it might have been a car or it might have been an illness, at least it was quick and he had been enjoying himself moments before hand.

As for getting another cat, it is a hard one. I made the mistake just under two years ago, when my old Ragdoll, Blue, succumbed to old age and left me with a 12 year old moggy. i got two 6 month old youngsters from a rescue centre thinking they would play together and leave her alone. It hasn't quite gone according to plan and the young lad seems to take great pleasure from teasing and antagonising her. Not bad enough to send him back, but enough to make me realise it probably wasn't the best decision. Have you considered contacting a local charity and see if they have any older cats they would like fostered. An older, placid cat might be a better companion for yours during his twilight years, and when his time finally comes you can then look for a couple of new kitten with out the worry of them upsetting a resident cat.

I thank you for your words of kindness. I do think getting a young cat is probably not the best for my old boy who survives. He has never lived on his own, but in his twilight years does he need the drama. The 6 year old I have lost, had he's moments of exuberant play fighting shall we call it. I've never had much luck getting a charity to accept me, I live in a flat & that has always been an issue for them. Although I have never lived a day of my life without having a cat in it. I'm sure another old puss in need of a loving home, could be the answer :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

OH was once turned down by a charity (he was looking for a dog) because his front door opened onto the busy A34, not that he ever USED the front door!

Some charities can be very picky. I would't give up though. I am sure there is a kitty out there, just right for you.