Help

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
hmacaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Help

Post by hmacaul »

Please Help, my poor boy is in the hospital this weekend for last chance treatment but not going well. Don't think I can cope if I lose him
hmacaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Help

Post by hmacaul »

I have already lost 2 other cats this year think I will have a breakdown if I lose him too
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I'm afraid we can't help directly, but we all feel your pain, as any cat owner of a certain age will have been where you are now

tell us about your boy, and what is happening with him now - sometimes writing it down clarifies the way forward

meanwhile many hugs for you
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Hoping that the operation is a success. As Kay says, most of us have been in your situation and know only to well how you feel.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Really wish I could do something to help, but all I can do is hope that he pulls through and the op is successful. i know how you are feeling and it is horrible, if you feel it would help to talk, we are all here willing to listen and will understand.
hmacaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by hmacaul »

Thank you all, sorry my internet is up and down. He has what seems like gastro issues but vets have checked bloods, done biopsies etc and nothing is showing anything totally wrong - no tumours, liver disease, pancreatic disease etc. Basically he keeps getting constipated / sick and dehydrated but no blockages found - his colon and stomach are distended. He has managed to poo after being on a drip for almost 2 days but tonight will be the decider now he is off of the drip and on tablets. If his system can't work without the drip then we have a serious decision to make. Has anyone else had anything like this?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Have they checked him for megacolon?
hmacaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by hmacaul »

Yes, his colon and stomach are enlarged and mobility in both is a huge problem.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Can't offer much in the way of advice, but I am thinking of you and praying the vets can discover what is wrong with your cat and fix it.

I have had two cats come back from the brink, so I know it's possible.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi I'm thinking of you too as well as praying all works out. Fusses to your boy. At Little Paws cattery there's a boy, Peppe, who suffers constipation & has been hospitalised. Deb has anemia meds to put up him, he's not to have dry food, and I think she adds Metamucil to his food. Peppe is 4 & was dumped in a Lifeline Bin when a kitten. Rest assured people here will support you so post whatever & whenever. Vivian
hmacaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by hmacaul »

Thank you all, it has been a long and stressful weekend. They put him on an infusion of metoclopramide (sp?) for 24 hours and nothing so they did it for another 24 hours and finally he started to pass faeces. He is now on tablets and we got him home yesterday and he has continued to poo and his appetite is back to normal. I have a check up tomorrow but he is a bit brighter and I am keeping everything crossed that he has the strength to come through this. He has lost a lot of weight and has muscle wastage from being operated on and hospitalised. Am seeing some of my cheeky boy but scared to get too hopeful
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Good to see your boy's home & sending you +Ve vibes. Lots of ear rubs & fusses to the little un. Vivian & the famous 4 from Oz.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Pleased to hear the news and keeping all fingers and paws crossed that he makes a full recovery. Fusses from me too! x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed - have they suggested high fibre food for him?