Rehoming older cat after two kittens died on quiet lane?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
LizzyS
New Cat Chatter

Rehoming older cat after two kittens died on quiet lane?

Post by LizzyS »

Hi,

I was wondering people's advice. Last year we had a terrible year losing both our one year old kittens on our quiet lane. Our first we assumed got hit by a car as we found her by the house, belly wet as if she had crawled through grass, not a mark on her. The second was at dusk, our black cat got hit by our neighbour's car. After this, we vowed never to have another cat while living here. We looked at dogs and while I love all animals we have come to the conclusion this might not be for us.

Previously we had a much older cat who lived on this lane for many years and who died of natural causes. However, other cats have been hit on our lane. It's single track, can't think cars would go fast but maybe the lack of pavements is dangerous? My question is then, is it morally ok to get another cat (an older, perhaps more street wise cat that would understand the road a little better) or is this asking for trouble? We have kids (whose pets they were) and I couldn't bear for it to happen again. On the other hand, I really miss being without a pet.

Please, any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Lizzy
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rehoming older cat after two kittens died on quiet lane?

Post by Lilith »

Hi Lizzy and welcome :)

So sorry to hear about your kittens :(

This is an awful dilemma that faces anyone and their cats if the cats roam.

In 1976 I was a guest in a vicarage in a remote Norfolk parish ...a rural paradise you might think, vast garden, farmland, forest ... they had a cat, who was later run over on the almost deserted lane nearby.

In 1982 I lived in a house on a main road and lost nearly all my cats to that damn road ... I THOUGHT they went out on to the farmland behind the house ... turned out there was a big empty house across the road, overrun with rodents ... what an idiot I was ...

In 1999 I moved to this tangle of inner-city streets, where a year or so later a feral colony began to need help. Some moved in with me, and my darling Tess (so called because when I first met her she had a bellyful of disgraceful little D'Urbervilles) who I thought was completely streetwise, in 2007 had to be pts after being grazed by a car. Even though they all ran to my door or open cellar window if they heard a car approaching.

I've been lucky enough to have enclosed my garden to prevent my cats from escaping (though my youngest was a right Houdini at first) and I'm convinced now that this is the only way to protect them. No matter how remote you are, a cat is always vulnerable.

Sorry to sound so gloomy, but personally I'd always enclose my garden or organise a run for the cats to go out in safety - I fixed weldmesh round my boundaries and bent it over into a lip that a cat couldn't climb over, but I've only got a small yard; larger gardens may not be so simple to secure I know.

I do hope you manage to own another cat and keep it safe - there are so many cats out there needing loving homes and you sound ideal - please let us know how you go on and all the very best :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I do sympathise. We live on a quiet country lane, but cars still bat down it at ridiculous speeds.

An older, more streetwise cat might be the answer, they are probably less likely to go out on adventures anyway. But it is no guarantee of safety. As Lilith says, it would be best if you could cat proof your garden. But if you are anything like us - that's a lot of fencing, and there is still the gate!

I still have that to come with my two kittens. When Willow was still small, she went over the gate one day and I managed to get into the lane without her seeing me and frighten her back inside. Sounds mean but it worked and she never went out there again. With that in mind, I carried Billy to the gate this afternoon. He has not been outside since we got him. Once at the gate I held him away from me, shook and squeezed him (only a little, you understand!) and said something like 'whoa, no, whooo, bad'. Then held him close, turned around and carried him back making soothing sounds. I am hoping I can condition him to thinking the other side of the gate is a bad place to be. It may work for Billy but his brother Freddie is a law unto himself. I don't know what I can do with him.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. It must have been absolutely heartbreaking to lose two cats and I personally wouldn’t risk adopting another now, unless you could catproof your garden. Unfortunately getting an older cat can't guarantee it not happening either.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think kittens are more vulnerable, but all cats are at risk. A lane with occasional cars can be more dangerous than a busy road with regular traffic - constant cars encourage cats to keep away. I assume you have considered an indoor only cat? It works for some people and some cats. I feel for you - one beloved cat killed on the road at age 8, one still with me but arthritic after a run in with a van in a car park... It doesn't help that cats love to hunt in the twilight hours before dawn and dusk, just when they are invisible and most cars are about.

I had a Siamese cat as a child who would not set a paw on tarmac - she would follow me for miles across the fields and stop dead at the edge of a tarmac path. I wish I knew how her mother taught her. You could try with a water pistol, hiding near the front and a quick spray every time the cat approached the road, but I fear a determined cat would just work out an alternative route.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

While I admit my cats do have a free run I live on a quiet cul de sac at the back end of an estate, even so i do wonder why some drivers seem determined to accelerate madly for a matter of yards only to have to slam on the brakes at the end of the road. However i have to agree with the others that cat proofing the garden or getting an indoor only cat might be the best option.

Some adult cats are extremely streetwise, others haven't got a clue and until you got one home you might not know which it was.

Also remember that an adult cat in the prime of its life is most likely to be interested in hunting and exploring, male cats are also more prone to wandering than females in my experience.

I would also suggest getting two again if they are to be kept inside or in a cat proofed garden as they will be social interaction for each other.

Try contacting your local rescue, explaining the situation and see if they have any cats that would fit in well.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

There are some idiots who speed in these cramped streets, but the car that hit Tess was travelling very slowly; I was in the front doorway at the time and remember the car coming along the street and then seeing Tess standing in the road, making awful snoring noises and dribbling blood. The car didn't stop; I expect the driver saw her still standing and didn't realise the car had caught her. I'm only thankful that I was there and that the vet is round the corner.

It's 11 years ago now but you always remember, don't you?
LizzyS
New Cat Chatter

Post by LizzyS »

Thank you all for your helpful replies. We will certainly not rush into anything. Our garden unfortunately is large and hedged; since cats can climb several metres I'm not sure how easy it would be feasibly to cat proof it anyway. Indoor cats for us are just not an option. We might just have to rethink the whole thing.

On another note, has anyone had much experience/ knowledge of fluorescent collars and safety records? I understand they're not going to save lives if there's a dangerous situation going on - but sometimes could it potentially mean the difference between a hit and a cat having time to get out of the way? I just wondered what people's experience with them is?

Thank you. Lizzy
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Cat proofing the whole garden might not be an option, but could you build a large run for them with plenty of climbing and lounging areas in.

I haven't any idea of safety records but I would have thought reflective collars might help in some situations.

i don't know why indoor only cats aren't an option for you, whether it's design of house or a personal opinion but just to mention there are cats that have to be indoor only due to medical conditions, cats with limited vision or hearing can't be let out for their own safety, but can have a good life as an indoor only cat.
LizzyS
New Cat Chatter

Post by LizzyS »

oh yes, I know this about some cats, certainly as I've seen the adverts regarding medical conditions, etc. I know this is true, it's just not right for us.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Country lane type roads are often death traps for cats they come out of the hedgerows straight into the path of a car there's no verge or pathway to allow the cat or driverr a chance to see each other and use judgment if you get another cat odds are you will loose it to the road/as a rescue if you were contacting me to offer a home it would be a very definate no thank you am afraid
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Sorry Lizzy - this thread's taken a rather gloomy turn, and I know I've contributed to that.

We've been looking at worst-case scenarios (for the best reasons of course) but let's not forget that thousands of cats reach a healthy old age and natural death even though they roam all their lives.

I'd always advocate keeping them within the garden these days, for my own peace of mind, but whatever you decide to do, the forum's here to support you and please let us know how you go on; all the best :)
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Yes lillith I agree with you about the gloom of this thread and I too have had a part in that.If you do get another cat I am sure you will do all you can to keep it safe and the life it has with you may be better than the life it would have elsewhere,I have lost several cats to the road as have many neighbours mainly because we have fields and woods opposite and I know if they roam their time will be limited i cannot stand that worry and guilt so the garden is now enclosed ,a very difficult and expensive job it has been and I realise not possible for everyone but well worth it not to have that knot in your stomach every time you hear a car go by or the fear and dread when one of the cats is not home as normal, good luck with your dilemma there isn't an easy right or wrong answer but whatever you decide you obviously care which is so much more than some people do
RubyChaCha
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by RubyChaCha »

I don't know if you will come back to this thread, but in case you do, I'm going to answer in a slightly different way to most of the previous posts.
I think getting an older cat could work for you. I have been in a similar situation - very similar-sounding location - and our 14 month old cat got killed on the road last year. I did get another cat. She is completely different, he was over-confident, she is much more cautious. Of course there is no guarantee that she and my other cats will avoid coming to harm on the roads, and it was a difficult decision to make. If you get an older cat who is used to going outdoors it is likely (not guaranteed) to have more sense than a kitten. It depends if you want to take the risk (evidently, I did).