Fostering a Pregnant Mom... need help!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
ohmyveronica
New Cat Chatter

Fostering a Pregnant Mom... need help!

Post by ohmyveronica »

Hi all,

I am in need of some advice, as I have read everything I can possibly find online. I am fostering a very young momma cat. A lady came into my work (I work at a physical therapy office and it was one of my patients) and said they had found her and that she was very preggers. I brought her home because I didn't want her giving birth out in the wild and have something bad happen to her or the babies. My 9 month old boy kitty and her are not getting on well. They haven't come to blows yet but he has tried to pounce. I feel bad because I live in a studio apartment and she has to be locked in the bathroom when he starts getting too worked up. It's strange because one will be fine and the other will be growling and then the next minute they are both sleeping. I know he is jealous because she comes and sits on my lap but I give him just as much attention because we take turns. I know when the babies are born she'll need to be in the bathroom full time for like 2 weeks but I want them to get along. I feel like they might get along over time but what is there I can do in the meantime? I've let them get each others scents, they've even come close enough at times to almost touch noses but then one hisses then the other does and that's when I start seeing the body language that he's gonna pounce. Any other thoughts? They are both so sweet on their own, but I know he is 9 months, she looks very young as well so I figure if they're younger they might eventually get along, probably just in time for her to be re-homed.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Fostering a Pregnant Mom... need help!

Post by booktigger »

Honestly, any new cat should be isolated initially, you don't know her background and if she is carrying anything that could make your cat ill, and as she is pregnant, she needs a nice quiet environment to have her kittens, and 2 weeks after giving birth isn't long enough, as that is when kittens start moving, although a bathroom isn't ideal for young kittens. Is your cat neutered?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Booktigger we overlapped but I'll let my post stand though it repeats a couple of your comments.

Hi and welcome Veronica - and good on you for taking this girl in :)

Yes, you have a problem at the moment - she is looking for a secure place to give birth in and he will feel that his territory has been invaded. Is he neutered, by the way?

What you describe, though, is pretty normal for two cats settling down together. Hisses and growls can be conversational; comments and grumbles rather than preliminaries to aggression. The fact that they chuntered and then settled down to sleep I find encouraging.

I know the size of your flat may not be ideal - but anything's better than her having to face giving birth outside, especially at this time of year. If she'd gone to a shelter she might have had to be penned in a far smaller space.

And when the kittens come ... I used to breed Siamese, and one of my older cats was a huge black three quarter Siamese, a great hunter, killed ANYTHING. When he saw a kitten running about, he'd growl ... However, I snuck up on him unawares one time ... kitten approached ... George growled. Then he washed him :lol:

But it's as well to keep very small kittens separate from a lively male; I relaxed vigilance once and to my horror saw a kitten being batted about like a mouse by his big brother! :o My fault!

This is going to be a busy time for you and I wish you all the best, I feel you'll manage and good luck - please let us know how things go :)
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Well done for helping her your wonderful and their behaviour is to be expected just keep a watchful eye and put mum to be back in her room if he gets too boisterous and good luck you'll soon have some wonderful new arrivals please ask if you have any problems in future and let us know when babies arrive