Companion advice

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
loumoo
Returning Cat Chatter

Companion advice

Post by loumoo »

Hello there all
I have a 9 year old [ish] cat who is timid and wary, but very affectionate to myself and my son. She has taken more of a shine to me, lap sitting wise.
She was part of a duo, her Sister had diabetes and asthma hence didn't work trying to medicate both :(

Anyway not sure if she might be better off on her own or accept a friend. She is reluctant to venture into our garden when visiting cats are there, even the laid back boy who is greedy. he headbutted my leg too.
The Vet at the PDSA mentioned a slightly younger cat who is of course not the dominant type. What type of cat should I be focusing on, maybe not another female. Not an overly greedy crazy male.

Its hard to know if I should leave her be on her own or get another one.
She does love lap time now and when Leela [ her sister] was around she was the more dominant one. Never would share space after they got older.
Although she spends a lot of time in her spots upstairs or on the chair cushions in the kitchen.

Thank you
from a confused human.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Companion advice

Post by Marla »

I'm sorry you lost Leela. :(

It doesn't sound like your remaining girl (sorry I don't know her name) is craving a companion? It sounds like she's enjoying the undivided attention and lap time she's getting from you. It's possible she wouldn't welcome another cat. I still feel guilty for adopting a "timid" male cat when our 2 female cats were still with us. Once he got settled, he turned into a very boisterous, dominant cat. In hindsight, I don't think it was fair on them. But many people have multiple cats that get along fine.
Last edited by Marla on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
loumoo
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by loumoo »

I was thinking that, although the dynamic changed when Leela got ill. Fry started becoming more confident and staying around for strokes.

Leela used to be the get on my bed for strokes, then her condition made her lethargic and so on. So Fry started getting on and still does. Although her new cat bed is in my room, as she wasn't using it on the landing. .

We don't see her during the day mostly and she doesn't sit on her beanbag much downstairs anymore, its on my lap or next to me on a cushion/back of the sofa.
She loves strokes, sometimes swipes/claws out odd times when shes had enough or something. Happening less I think, i stroke her when i am half asleep sometimes and i guess she has sensitive spots.

It will be cheaper just having her, as shes little and doesn't eat a lot..Grazes more. Likes her nice gravy cat food gourmet stuff but the small packets and some dry food [ not a lot as i know its like an addiction thing with cats.]
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I think it's a good thing if sometimes cat lovers who could manage another cat hold off, as it leaves a potential home available for a cat who has nowhere to go otherwise

it's not at all uncommon for a stray to find its way to a home where someone is willing to feed and shelter it, or you may see an appeal to save a cat due to be euthanized - your vet might be glad to know you could be contacted in such a scenario, as a good vet always hates having to kill a healthy animal