advise needed stray cat in bad way

Post details of FOUND CATS here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
fionachichi
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

advise needed stray cat in bad way

Post by fionachichi »

Hi, a brown fluffy tabby cat has been visiting my garden for a few weeks and its just in the last couple of days I've managed to see it properly and it has badly matted fur hanging off in clumps, poor thing. I've asked around and it doesn't seem to be from the area and a couple of other cat owners are concerned about it. I contacted the SSPCA and Cat Protection and Cat Protection are going to lend me a trap and then I can get the SSPCA to come out and check it over. Cat Protection said it could be a bad flea allergy or it may have been deliberately done to the cat, if its a flea allergy will they still take it away for treatment or do they only do this for injured cats? any help or advice appreciated thanks.
sentstarr
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: advise needed stray cat in bad way

Post by sentstarr »

Hello,

whenever I have found a suffering, straying cat before and contacted Cat protection/RSPCA etc they have still been willing to help it even if it wasn't injured. We found one who wasn't injured but had bald spots and they helped us with him, though we ended up taking him into our house while they listed him and gave him vet care.

They might not have room to take it in right away (priority goes to severe cases and I know of one cat charity near me with over 200 cats on their waiting lists to go in) but will try to help and find a foster carer as soon as possible if you can't take it in.

That someone has lent you a trap is a good sign. Would you be able to take it in for a few days if they catch it but haven't got room for it straight away? If not, it is worth calling any local pet/cat charities to start reserving a space for it in case it is caught. If you have a spare room or garage they will most likely lend you a decent sized cat cage to keep it in until they can find space for it if you aren't used to having cats in your house. They won't expect you to keep the cat permanently - unless you want to - and will help it find a new home.