Rehoming an elderly cat

Rescue Shelters - post details of cats needing homes here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
If you need to rehome your own cat, please click "Find your local Cat Rescue Shelters" below...
Ickleanna
New Cat Chatter

Rehoming an elderly cat

Post by Ickleanna »

I am desperately trying to rehome my 13 year old male house cat due to a change in my personal circumstances. I've tried all the local shelters but they are all full and are reluctant to put him on their waiting lists because of his age. I've been given very little advice as to what to do other than keep trying shelters but I'm getting nowhere.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Ickleanna on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Rehoming an elderly cat

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Hi there,
Is there any way at all you could keep him? Or have you friends or family you trust who would take him for you (even temporarily, while your circumstances improve).

It is difficult to suggest what to do without knowing the actual situation really. It must be very tough on you to have to rehome a 13 year old, and I would make suggestions if I could.

A shelter would be extremely stressful for him (for any cat, but advancing age certainly doesn't make it easier on them). You could try an ad in a local paper or notice board in a supermarket, but if you go down that route, you will have to be EXTREMELY careful..... So many cats end up used as dog bait this way (honestly, those stories are NOT made up), and the people involved in dogfighting are professional criminals (smart, and well able to play the role they think you want them to). Maybe a local rescue would advertise him for you, and do a home heck for/with you? Plenty of rescues do this now, as they simply cannot cope with owner relinquished animals as well as abuse victims.

I hope that gives you a few ideas, and am sorry you are in this position. It would be my very worst nightmare......
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there - if you feel ok with telling which area you live in, that could help - there may be people on here who can give a cat a home or know of homes/rescue workers/shelters.

Yes, as Cussypat says, you do have to be careful - but really hope you get him placed, good luck :)

ps I notice you say this is due to changed circumstances. I once heard that some cat charities/rescue workers will help out with food etc if it's simply a case of the owner not being able to afford this, but being prepared to keep the cat in its own home. I know it's embarrassing to ask for charity, but I'm sure he would rather stay with you if possible. Again good luck and do hope things improve for you soon.
Ickleanna
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ickleanna »

Hi

Thank you for your responses. My changes are not financial but commitments which mean I no longer have the time to offer my cat the care and attention he needs.

Unfortunately I've exhausted the friends and family option which would have been my first choice. I have so far not advertised him privately for the reasons you've outlined. I will asks the shelters about advertising on my behalf as I've not explored this.

I'm in Souh Yorkshire.

Thank you so far for your advice.