Patient & experienced cat person needed for Ollie West Mids

Rescue Shelters - post details of cats needing homes here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
If you need to rehome your own cat, please click "Find your local Cat Rescue Shelters" below...
Heath380
New Cat Chatter

Patient & experienced cat person needed for Ollie West Mids

Post by Heath380 »

Ollie needs someone who is prepared to give him a home for his benefit more than theirs. Ollie is currently very nervous around people and therefore needs a home that will initally just look after his material needs whilst he settles, then allowing him the space to come and go as he pleases and establish a level of human contact that he is happy with. We are not sure at the moment if Ollie is semi-feral, or is just very nervous and frightened around people but for this reason he needs a home with no children or other animals.

Here's his story:

Ollie (named after Oliver Twist) had been visitng my garden for the last 4-5wks. At first I didnt feed him in the hope he had (and would) have a home to go to, however when I caught him eating the hedgehog food out of the hedgehog box and seeing him spend the freezing cold nights in a cat shelter I have in the garden I started to become more concerned about his welfare. His presence (being an un-neutered male) was also causing my own cats a lot of stress and I had already had one vet trip with an absess to the head and could not let things continue as they were. Ollie was extremely timid and would bolt whenever I tried to get near him, although he was coming to my voice and would come and eat if I stood a few metres back from where I left the food. Having tried to locate an owner with no luck I decided that the only option was to trap Ollie and get him neutered.

Since then he has been in my foster pen, and whilst there is no doubt he has enjoyed the warmth and comfort that has provided (and the food on tap! lol) he is just not comfortable yet being in close quarters with me. I feel ideally he needs to be settling somewhere and building his trust in humans again somewhere that he will be able to stay. It is impossible to say what type of cat Ollie will become over time, but for now he needs a home that will feed him, give him a warm bed for the night but for the rest of the time give him his freedom and allow him his own space and time to decide what level of human contact he is comfortable with.

He is definitely NOT feral. He is very relaxed in the pen when I am not there, but because its a small space he feels intimidated when I go in. He has not been aggressive towards me but if I get within his 'safe space' he will give me a warning hiss not to come any closer. The great news is he is using a litter tray and is eating well. He is now neutered and microchipped.

We realise taking on a cat like Ollie is a BIG ask, but if there is anyone who can find it in their hearts to give this boy a chance I would love to hear from you. We will never know what has happened to him to make him so frightened of people or what hardships he has endured in his little life (he is estimated to be about 12-18months old) but all I know is that he deserves a chance like any other.I do feel that given time (and without the confinments of a pen), that he will come round and form a bond with his owner, but patience and time is the key.

If you would like to discuss Ollie with us further then please get in touch. Thank you xx

Normal homechecks will apply
Attachments
ollie for cc 2.jpg
(101.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ollie for CC.jpg
(98.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet