4 cats need urgent homes or foster care -- please?

Rescue Shelters - post details of cats needing homes here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
If you need to rehome your own cat, please click "Find your local Cat Rescue Shelters" below...
IngridUK
Returning Cat Chatter

4 cats need urgent homes or foster care -- please?

Post by IngridUK »

I lived happily in a cottage in West London for the past 16 years - for the last 13 years with my 4 cats - a mother (whose mother I also had), her daughter and 2 sons.

Sadly, due to the death of the "original tenant" - I could not stay - which came as a total shock and I was not prepared. I now live in a studio on the first floor - in a place completely unsuitable for cats.

I am finding a small place with a garden in the next 2-3 months.

I have provided for the cats as well as I could ... they live in the small gated communal garden where they were born. I have bought cat winter houses with cat flaps - lots of thick blankets inside, they get fed twice a day ... But they are clearly distressed and probably cold as the nights are getting colder and colder.

They are older cats - the mother cat is 14 and looks dishevelled now ... she looks like an abandoned cat -- the other cats are 13 .. her "children".

I am desperately trying to find a kind person, a cat charity - something - anything - who would take them in - if necessary 2 and 2 ... almost anywhere in the UK ... for a few months until I have a new home I can take them to.

I am so worried about them ... they are lovely beautiful cats ... loving, calm, well behaved. they need a warm place ... a home for now - where they can be safe and stay healthy until I can take them to their new home.

I hope to hear from someone.

UPDATE

I was very kindly offered a pen in a rescue via this forum .. unfortunately I lost the number of the lady who phoned, as my phone completely lost all data. And I went down with the flu at the same time more or less.

However, the cost was prohibitive - almost £400 a month - which was probably cheap and generous for 4 cats. My expenses have doubled since I lost the cottage, and I simply do not have that kind of money at my disposal.

Obviously I would pay something towards their keep - donate to a charity on a monthly basis - £100 or so plus cat food, cat litter and whatever else they need -- but for now, I have no solutions.

Is there a cat rescue that has a NO euthanasia policy??

I am admittedly now considering euthanasia as an option ... because they are distressed, they are cold, bonfire night was dreadful and they disappeared completely for almost 2 days as fireworks went off everywhere ... it was pouring with rain and winter is soon setting in. And it will be until mid or end January before I have my new place - I had hoped it would be before Christmas, but not going to happen.

thanks
Last edited by IngridUK on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: 4 cats need urgent foster care -- please?

Post by Crewella »

I really feel for you, that's a rotten position to be in. It might be worth giving Catcuddles in Greenwich a call and having a chat with them, they sometimes take in temporary foster cats at a reduced rate to help fund the rescue pens. I really hope you manage to work something out.

http://www.catcuddles.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andrea Charlwood
New Cat Chatter

Post by Andrea Charlwood »

Are they up to date with vaccinations?
IngridUK
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by IngridUK »

Thanks very much for your replies

I will call the rescue in Greenwich tomorrow.

And sadly -- no their vaccinations are not up to date - otherwise I'd have taken them to a cattery where they would be lovely and warm - found an excellent one with runs and views - bit expensive, but fantastic looking.

And .. of course ... in the middle of all the turmoil around the property and trying to keep it ... I'd forgotten about the cats and their vaccinations. If only .. hindsight and all that ..

It's starting to get very cold now at night - and will get colder, and very worried about them. So will make an extra effort over the next few days to try to find them a temporary home.

My new home with a garden has been confirmed, and I can move in either just before or just after Christmas - hope the "before" option ... but it is still a couple of months away, and I can't bear to think about them in the freezing cold .. they may be OK from a cat point of view - not sure - but from a human who loves the cats point of view, it is definitely not OK.
IngridUK
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by IngridUK »

There was no phone number for cat cuddles - I wrote to them, and predictably -- as with all the other cat charities I have written to, left messages for, contacted -- have not had the courtesy or kindness to return to me ..

All they have to state is that "sorry we can't" -- but not even a reply ... so much for "cat" charity ..

I am increasingly getting disillusioned with the animal charities out there -- if they can't even bother responding, no matter how overwhelmed they may be - and with all their cute photos of cats on their sites -- what is actually being done ... I am assuming that people are donating funds.

the major cat charities - do reply - but say there's nothing they can do ... as they have far too many cats -- the smaller ones .. simply completely ignore - I managed to speak a lady on one occasion from one cat place -- she was full of sympathy and absolutely promised me to get back to me the following Monday, even if she did not have a result - that is now 3 weeks ago. She has both my email and my phone as well as the link to the forum I posted on originally.

Anyway ... just sad and disillusioned to be honest. My cats are elderly, confused, cold, wanting warmth and a temporary home. They are following local people trying to get into flats and houses - and it is breaking my heart. I can't take them to where I am now ... a room ...

My "light at the end of the tunnel" - is that I will have a place just before or just after Christmas with a garden - I just pray it won't turn cold and wintry before then.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by pandorawarlord »

IngridUK if you would like to speak to the lady who runs Wickham Manor Cat Hotel in West Wickham on 0208 776 1127 she might be able to help you although she has no room until the 9th Nov. At the present she is also will have no pens over Christmas, that said things always change so give it a go.Also please e mail me a contact number as although not at the moment I might be able to help with 2 later on
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

There is a 'phone number for Catcuddles 020 8123 2230, just in case.

As a volunteer I do apologise on behalf or rescues, but most are run by volunteers in their spare time alongside work and family, they are inundated with enquiries and I know we do struggle to keep up with them sometimes.
IngridUK
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by IngridUK »

Thanks ... no need to apologise at all ... I should apologise as I have no right to expect anything, and I know how hard the volunteers work.

I was just so sad and desperate that day because my cats tried to follow strangers to get inside somewhere - and it broke my heart to see it. I've had them for 13 years, and one thing was losing my home after 16 years - another that the cats were homeless ... You can explain things to people ...

I've found a foster home for 2 of the cats - I chose to take the 2 boys to their new temporary home today because I was worried if I took their mother and the daughter - there' d be too much disruption "in the family" - and perhaps the 2 boys would wander off .. It was hard to split them up - but at least 2 of them now have a home.

Now there are 2 females left - the mother, aged 14, and her daughter aged 13. I want to find a place for them urgently as it's getting terrible cold at night. I think the mother has developed a bit of arthritis as she's limping slightly now .. and it must be cold for them at night. Also a neighbourhood cat is bullying them - before they'd run home through the cat flap when they felt threatened. They don't have that option now.

I will try to call the places listed, and will also send a PM with my number to the 2 kind people who have asked ..

Thanks very much ...
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi IngridUK, so sorry you are in this position it must be a worry, even though things sound like they will work out for you soon.

If you've not already done so, you could try contacting all rescues in your area, you can click on your area on the map here:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many rescues rely on foster homes for their cats and you never know they may be able to help or advise.
Very best of luck!