Help Desperately Needed

Rescue Shelters - post details of cats needing homes here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
If you need to rehome your own cat, please click "Find your local Cat Rescue Shelters" below...
Dai-San
New Cat Chatter

Help Desperately Needed

Post by Dai-San »

Hi,

I live in the Shropshire area and due to a marriage breakup I desperately need to rehome my gorgeous (overweight), pampered best friend Ruby (Tortie).

Since our seperation last August I have been in the family home but unfortunately due to depression and being on SSP since January I have had to give this up and am now relying on friends goodwill for a roof over my head. I am currently staying with a friend but it is a tiny flat with no pets allowed so I have managed to scrape together enough money to put Ruby in a cattery until the 26th of June.

Every rehoming centre I have rung in the local and surrounding area is full and cannot take her so I am only left with the option of having to put her to sleep on the 26th unless someone here can offer her a home.

I am willing to transport her myself to her new home (within reason) and will even keep up her Arriva Pet Healthcare plan for 6 months if thats a help.

She is a lovely cat and enjoys nothing more than cuddling up and having her belly stroked.

She is fully vacinated and in good health with no medical issues except she has stress related cystitis at the moment (not surprising) which is being treated.

I have no idea how she is with other cats/dogs/children etc as we had none.

She is approx 6.5 to 7 years old (we rescued her 5 years ago) and is chipped and spayed.

Please contact me if you can help as finding her a new home is upsetting enough but having to put her to sleep may just about finish me off too.

Please click link below for photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/gZ1hUPmHHjaBHVpc9

Thank you.

Bryan
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Help Desperately Needed

Post by Crewella »

Hi Bryan, what a horrible position to be in, I really feel for you. (((hugs)))

I'm way out of your area, and anyway (like everyone else) don't have a space, but the best advice I can give you is to keep trying. In case you've not seen it, this is a list of rescues and shelters in Shropshire.

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/shrop.html

They won't thank me for saying this, but keep on at them, by email and by 'phone, and tell them what you've told us. The thing is that almost all will be staffed by volunteers who give up their time and do this because they love cats - hopefully one of them will be touched by your and Ruby's predicament and be able to help. I've done it myself - not had a space but just suddenly made a connection with a cat or a story and decided to try and help, even though I've no room and it's meant having a cat in a crate in the bedroom for a few days until better accommodation could be found. If they don't have a space, ask if Ruby can go on their waiting list, most rescues will have one. You never know. Apart from anything else, it will help you to feel like you're doing something.

I also just wanted to say that I know how hard the decision to maybe have to have her PTS must have been, but I can understand your reasoning. It sounds awful, but I keep having to take on cats that have been abandoned and have struggled to fend for themselves and, looking at the state of them when I get them, I find it much harder to understand the people who dodge the issue and just move and leave their cats behind. At least you are trying to take responsibility, however tough that is.

Wishing you all the luck in the world, keep us posted.

ADDED: just a last thought, please don't be tempted to offer her for free on Facebook or one of the trading sites. There are people out there who will take 'free' cats for various revolting purposes like dog-baiting and I'd hate something like that to happen. However desperate you are, be careful.
Dai-San
New Cat Chatter

Post by Dai-San »

Thank you for your kind words and advice and I still live in hope someone will find room for Ruby.
CatLady42
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by CatLady42 »

Hi Bryan

This is a dreadful situation for you, facing the prospect of having to have your beloved Ruby PTS in such awful circumstances. My heart goes out to you.

I agree with Crewella's advice - just keep bashing away at the charities, you might speak to a different person every time, and definitely don't advertise dear Ruby as 'free to a good home'.

There's not a lot I can add to what Crewella has already said, except to ask whether you have explained the desperate situation to the cattery? Are they aware that when she leaves the cattery on 26th she will be PTS? I understand the cattery is a business and there to make money to support themselves, and if they listened to every sad story they would be a cats' home and wouldn't make any money at all!, but by definition they must also be cat lovers too. Is there any possibility they might come to some arrangement with you to extend her stay until you could get Ruby moved to a shelter or foster home? How much is the cattery? I know it's usually payment in advance, but if they understood your predicament, if they are kindly souls, perhaps they would allow you to pay them in instalments at a lower rate over an extended number of weeks until the debt is repaid, given the possible outcome if she has to leave on 26th. But as I say, it is their livelihood at the end of the day, so they may not be able to do this. I don't know how realistic a proposition this is, but I think it is something I would ask about in such dire circumstances.

Another longshot, if you have a reasonably good relationship with the surgery, have you asked at the vets whether they know anyone who might take Ruby? Sometimes it is possible to rehome through a vet - my mum has previously taken on a badly injured cat directly through the vet. Also shortly after mum had her last cat PTS, the vet rang her to see if she could take on an unwanted cat knowing she had a 'vacancy' (not that Ruby is unwanted) so it does happen. It just needs the cards to fall in Ruby's favour - the right person wanting a cat at the right time. I'd probably try that as well if it were me.

Please keep us posted on progress, and please do let us know before 26th what is going on.

Good luck.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just another thought - you mentioned that you 'rescued' her 5 years ago - if you got her from a rescue you should contact them as they might help.
Dai-San
New Cat Chatter

Post by Dai-San »

Thanks for all your views and comments, thankfully the wonderful people at Shropshire Cat Rescue stepped in and offered Ruby a place in their rehoming centre.

As devastating as it was leaving her there I know they will find her a new home and the love and care she deserves.

Thanks
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh that's wonderful news, I'm so relieved for you.

I've had an owner in a similar position to yours leave here in tears after seeing the rather damp and dingy pen that was to be her cat's home until a permanent place could be found - it was bad enough that they had to be separated, but I could see the guilt on her face as she left. If it's any consolation, after a few weeks a lovely new home was found, and I get pics of that same cat now being spoilt rotten and looking very happy. It will be a tough time, but you've done your best for her in the circumstances and it will all work out in the end.