Radcliffe (Manchester) Looking to foster a female cat

Post here if you can offer a loving, permanent home to a cat (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
Martha
New Cat Chatter

Radcliffe (Manchester) Looking to foster a female cat

Post by Martha » Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 am

Hello :)

I would like to foster a female cat, not sure about the age. I have already a cat and she is 9 years old. She was used to live with my other cat in Barcelona but she has been living alone now for 3 years, so not pretty sure how is she is going to take this. I think a young one will be better as she still plays a lot. We live together in a Flat, we don't have a backyard or a patio but we have a big terrace where kitty has a small wood house to get some sun rays

The reason why I wouldn't adopt a cat is because I am from Barcelona (even I have been living in Manchester for 2.5 years now) and in case that I should leave the Country (not planned in this moment in time) I couldn't afford to get the cat with me, it's pretty expensive.

Also I am looking for a long term fostering, for we 3.

Can anyone help me please?? And also, would you please let me know how the fostering works regarding food, vets and so on?

Much appreciated!!!!

Martha

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Radcliffe (Manchester) Looking to foster a female cat

Post by booktigger » Mon May 25, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi Martha

Fostering normally entails looking after a cat until a new home is found, this could be weeks, months or years, it's rare a rescue would know if it would be long term (we've had two oldies this year that I thought we might struggle with, both were homed within a couple of months), long term tends to be more people who are moving or a job change and they have a time span as to how long it would take. In those instances it would be up to you to arrange a deal with the owners regarding food and vets. You would also need to be able to look after someone's pet for x and be able to give them back at the end of it.

Martha
New Cat Chatter

Post by Martha » Mon May 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes I know what fostering is, that's why I have asked for a long term fostering, because I know that unfortunately some cats cannot find a home in a long time due some circumstances.

Sorry but what you are explaining sounds like a long time cat sitter and what I would like is to help giving a home to a cat within a difficult situation. I know that some times can be days, months or years, but I would prefer to try that.

Thanks

Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella » Tue May 26, 2015 2:41 am

The problem is, as Booktigger has said, that most foster cats are planned as short term fosters - you cannot know in advance which cat will take a long time to find a home. Especially a younger cat. The idea is to get cats into their new homes as fast as possible so that more cats can be helped. We do occasionally have elderly cats or cats with medical problems that are supported by the rescue as permanent foster cats, but they do need the security of a permanent place where they can live out the rest of their days.

All rescues are different, but most will ask that you keep foster cats separately from your own pets (in a spare room, ideally) and that you take the cat to their designated vet (where they will have an account) so they can cover vet fees. Many will also supply food and litter.

Fostering is very rewarding, but be prepared for how hard it is to say goodbye when they find their forever homes. If you decide you do want to go ahead, the best way to start is to ring round your local rescues, here:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lancs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

swebt_68
New Cat Chatter

Post by swebt_68 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 am

Hi
Are you still looking to foster. I urgently need a foster home for my 2 year old female for 4 to 5 months due to house move

LeeDub
New Cat Chatter

Post by LeeDub » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi my sister in law has 2 female cats both about 18 month old always been in doors. Unfortunately she has been told she has to get rid by the landlord or an eviction notice will be issued. If you could take them it would be great and I can bring them to you.

Lozjm87
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lozjm87 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:14 am

Hello, I know this post is from last year, but thought I would see if you are still looking to foster a cat?
If yes I'm in desperate need for somebody to temporary foster my beloved cat.

Thanks for reading xx