Special needs cats

Post here if you can offer a loving, permanent home to a cat (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
Polyb
New Cat Chatter

Special needs cats

Post by Polyb »

Hi, sadly our cat died just before Christmas and we miss her so much. She was mainly a house cat, living upstairs to keep away from our dog. They both disliked each other, from fear! She fitted in and the house situation worked for everyone. She was poorly for her last two years needing her nose constantly cleaning. Initially she was very scared and not friendly but with patience she came round and was extremely loving and gentle. I think because of the extra care she needed she's left a huge hole in our lives :(

We just thought we wouldn't adopt another but we wonder if our situation would ever suit another cat either to adopt or Foster. The cat would have the run of upstairs all the time, downstairs in the lounge at night and can go out if needed when the dog is in! I work from home so if a cat needs extra care, patience etc we'd love to help.

Do you think our home could help home/Foster a cat in the future or is it best we come to terms with not being able to adopt/Foster whilst we have a dog who's not really cat workable!

Thanks
milesdavid
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Special needs cats

Post by milesdavid »

I'm sorry to hear that. As for whether you should adopt or foster another cat, I think you should consider your dog's characteristic, is he overly aggressive towards cat? If it's manageable, I believe that given enough time, he can be friend with the cat.
Karen+Muis
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Special needs cats

Post by Karen+Muis »

Dear Polyb,

I’m not sure if this would be an option. I am looking for a temporary ( several months) residence and if need be permanent for my 15 year English grey. She has arthritis and is on meds. I am prepared to supply everything needed for her stay. So the only thing she needs is lots of attention. She is not used to other cats and is a big chicken, she has been beaten up by the neighbors cat in the past. She is fine with a dog.

The reason I am contacting you we are moving back to the UK after 20 years in Holland in June / July. To begin with we will stay with family and there are already 3 dogs and 2 cats. It will take us several months to get jobs which will decide where we settle. After which if you don’t mind I would love to collect her, however if she has settled and you want her to stay we can can then discuss it. A cattery is not really an option because she suffered when she has gone to them in the past.

I really hope you can help as we had 2 houses on offer and last week they both cancelled, 😪logically I would want to meet your dog and do you have a gate on the stairs so the cat can get away.

Kind regards karen