Blanket sucking

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
DextersMums
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Blanket sucking

Post by DextersMums »

Hello

This is my first post to the forum. My partner and I have adopted a six month old little boy cat, Dexter who was originally found abandoned as a very small kitten. He has a habit of grooming, licking and sucking on his blanket, which he has had since he was first found. I understand that this may be because he was separated from his mum too soon.

So my question is, is this safe? The fabric is a soft touch brushed-cotton type so not too fibrous and does not seem to shed. It is, however, quite yucky now. I have tried turning it over, but Dexter will only suck one area. I'm reluctant to take it away or wash it without seeking advice as we would hate to cause him any distress.

Any advice would be great.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Blanket sucking

Post by sarie »

Awww bless him. My cat Harvey is 5 years old and he still does this. I don't think he's likely to do any harm suckling on a soft brushed-cotton type fabric so I wouldn't worry too much. He may grow out of it or, like Harvey, he may do it for the rest of his life. It could be to do with him being taken away from his mum at an early age but it can also happen if they're weaned early and in some cats they just do it without any obvious cause.. I think some are just big babies.
I find it adorable.. although it is a bit gross at times :) I doubt he'll have a problem with you taking it away and washing it. Harvey only suckles when he's got the blanket around.. if it's not around then he just doesn't suckle but he doesn't seem to be that fussed. He suckles the teddy bear blankets you get from Dunelm, they're his favourite :) I have about 4 so I just take it in turns to wash them!
DextersMums
New Cat Chatter

Post by DextersMums »

Thanks, Sarie. That's a good idea. Perhaps we could get another blanket to put under the yucky one. It gets sopping wet so it'd probably soak through enough that we could whisk the yucky one away for a quick wash.

My last cat was a gorgeous boy called Harvey. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Our Gracie is 7. She still suckles - on Dave's T shirts (while he is wearing them! :roll: ) She pads and suckles and burrows down under his armpit, then falls asleep. Strange cat.

Fusses to your lovely boy. :)
DextersMums
New Cat Chatter

Post by DextersMums »

Aw that's cute! Dexter purrs so loudly when he does it, it sounds like there's a Harley Davison in the living room! :D

Well I'm really pleased it's quite normal and safe for him to continue. Thanks for replying.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Haha I love the suckle purr - it's a proper purr of contentment. I bet his eyes glaze over slightly too.. they usually go into a bit of a trance.

Funnily enough you say your last cat was called Harvey.. my last cat was called Dexter! :)

Also :lol: at Gracie's armpit suckles.. that's taking it to another level. As long as she's not suckling Dave's nipples.. Harvey tried to suckle one of my ex's nipples once.. I was mortified. Not really surprised he's an ex now :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

sarie wrote: Harvey tried to suckle one of my ex's nipples once.. I was mortified. Not really surprised he's an ex now :lol:
:shock:

Dave says he'd have to draw the line at that. :lol: