Sudden hissing and scratching from an affectionate cat!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ndobins
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Sudden hissing and scratching from an affectionate cat!

Post by Ndobins »

Hi all

Our cat is a inherited cat male 7 years old. He came with the bungalow we bought. He has been so kind to our 2 year old daughter, she buries her head in his big tummy!

1 week ago he came in with a scratched hind leg ears and lost his collar, he has hissed and snarled and gone for us all everyday since. He is fine with our other boy cat.

One other thing is we got a new girl kitten last Sunday so this all does coincide with her arrival but she's in a big cage and I've not pushed them together once, I've been very careful with this. He has snarled quietly at Her cage but that's it.

I couldn't even pick him up the day he came in with scratched ears!

Today he swiped me and scratched my eye lid open, so unlike him. So took him to the vets with the kitten he was fine with her in the room and car! There is nothing wrong with him she checked for broken bones teeth problems. He didn't snarl once. But 3 hours ago he was scratching me!
Does anyone know why taking all into account .

Thank u so much x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Sudden hissing and scratching from an affectionate cat!

Post by Kay »

it sounds as if he has had a thorough run in with something or someone outside - if a person has scared him it would account for his sudden aggression towards you - and if he is upset and has lost his confidence the kitten won't have helped - nor the vet visit, although of course you were quite right to have him checked over

I would avoid all physical contact with him for now, but talk to him in a reassuring voice, and continue to keep the kitten separate for the time being

he will likely come round in his own good time, when he has got over whatever traumatised him
Ndobins
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Ndobins »

He is so placid and easy going it's just such a shock him being like it.

Yes I will try all that so confident reassuring voice and give him time.

Also he sits on our Laps for cuddles once our daughter goes to bed but we have been shutting the door because of the kitten so that's probably upset him. She threw a spoon on the floor tonight and it really scared him, again not like him.

Thank u xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

He does sound very wound up and jumpy. I have a young female who was a keen hunter but scared of a local male cat (long story) and then after an over-night absence came home with an injured tail having been attacked. She was very defensive for a couple of weeks whilst it heals, but I think most of the defensive behaviour - scratching, hissing, attacking the other cats in the family - was because of the fright she'd had. She was also very jumpy. I took the decision to keep her in indefinitely and she has now returned to a happy, loving, playful little girl and stopped even begging to go out.

Cats are very emotional creatures in that the fight/flight instinct is very strong and they don't have the reasoning powers we do as humans, so I agree he needs some space, treats and love, and he will come round. His world needs to feel safe again. In addition he's having to cope with another cat on his territory (size doesn't matter - a big cat (even my ex-wild male!) can be frightened of a little one who gives confident and assertive signals, particularly if he's had a fright. Make sure he knows he's still the boss and still loved and he'll eventually integrate the newcomer and realise she's no threat.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

... Having said that, she may dominate him when she grows up a bit! In mixed households one of the 'girls' is often the boss. Our boy is dominated by three girls and is having a power struggle with the fourth - she's not the boss I hestitate to add. He lives in fear of a random whack from the boss of the household, our eldest female...
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

What Kay and Jacks have said is spot on. I can't add to their advise only echo it and wish you all the best. Kind words and a few favourite treats work wonders ;) .
Jacks wrote:... Having said that, she may dominate him when she grows up a bit! In mixed households one of the 'girls' is often the boss. Our boy is dominated by three girls and is having a power struggle with the fourth - she's not the boss I hestitate to add. He lives in fear of a random whack from the boss of the household, our eldest female...
I know what you mean Jacks. Purdy is our top cat, Willow the dowager duchess and Grumbling Gracie speaks for herself. Grace hisses at everyone except Purdy. Bob ignores her, Willow just looks down her cute little nose. Laid back Thomas stands just so much. Last week he snapped and quite literally beat the cxxp out of her. She has since been very subdued (she's OK physically) and has a new-found respect for Tom. Cats eh? :roll: