Cat making noise...

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat making noise...

Post by AhmedUK »

Hello,

Today, on three occasions, I have heard TC make a noise. He made one right now. I don't know where it comes from, I think from his mouth. I have NEVER heard him make this type of noise before. It's actually difficult to describe the noise, maybe a cat burp?

Is there anything to worry about? He has been eating normally, though he did sit there earlier today with his tongue out and I thought he was going to be sick, he kept opening his mouth and getting his tongue out, this lasted for about two minutes, but he hasn't done anything since.

Thanks.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Cat making noise...

Post by Walesgang »

Could it be a cough?

They sometimes do this if they have a blockage, such as fur balls (which they are prone to from grooming with excess fur loss)

Maybe worth mentioning to landlady - he might need a brush - even short haired cats get them and may need help with removing fur
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Oh, I did actually notice him licking a lot more "frantically" yesterday - I could actually hear him from a distance! Maybe he got some furballs because of that?

I don't think my landlady has ever brushed him - he isn't a very touchy-feely cat at all - not sure how he'd respond to a brush!
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Mine tolerate it differently. Tips loves it, the others tolerate it for a while! It's amazing how much fur you can get out!
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Ah - I just worry my landlady might feel offended if I say she should brush him - she is 45, and has had cats since she was a child, and might not like me telling her what she should be doing.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

He doesn't look like he has a great deal of fur (short haired?) and at this time of year he's unlikely to be shedding much so if your landlady is anything like me she won't be bothering much with brushing him at this time of year :) Mine are both short haired and they don't really have much of a problem at this time of year as they're building up a winter coat so there's not much coming off them.

I wouldn't worry - it could've been anything. Sometimes they have furballs, sometimes a little bit of food gets lodged or they eat something that irritates a little. Whatever it is, it's perfectly normal for him to have a little gag and a retch every now and then. It's only a concern if it happens often and/or he shows other signs of illness so I wouldn't worry about it. Your landlady certainly doesn't need to be worrying about brushing him more :)

One of mine loves to be brushed and goes mad for it - the other will disembowel me at the first sight of a brush. I tend not to worry too much. In the spring I groom them a lot more and suffer the risk of disfigurement in order to reduce the malt and help them along with it but at this time of year I just let them get on with things :)
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Great - thanks! Yes, as he is showing no other signs of discomfort, I'll just let him be for the time being!