Old cat suddenly not using the claws on one front leg

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Old cat suddenly not using the claws on one front leg

Post by ymv13 »

Hello

My cat is 20 years old and having lost most of the spring in her legs, uses her claws to clamber onto furniture etc.. :shock:

This morning I notice that she only extended the claws in one of her front feet which made it harder for her to climb, although is managed eventually. :(

She hates anyone touching her paws but I managed to check that the claws were still there and I could see no blood or obvious injury. She isn't limping and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

Any idea why she has suddenly stopped extending these claws?

Yve
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Old cat suddenly not using the claws on one front leg

Post by Lilith »

20, bless her! She's doing well :)

But yes I would be worried about this inability to use one paw. It might not be her claws, but a more general disability such as arthritis (which is treatable; an old chap of mine carried on for years with it; he had to have the painkiller Metacam and presented himself every morning in the kitchen for his spoonful of tuna laced with the 'jollop'.)

To be on the safe side, I'd get her checked up by the vet - paws crossed for her and keep in touch :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Old cat suddenly not using the claws on one front leg

Post by Crewella »

That is a fine age, good for her!

I do agree it might be a good idea to get it checked out. Elderly cats often have trouble keeping their claws in shape and I used to have to trim the front claws on my oldies to stop them growing right under and into the pads. Or, as Lilith says, it might be something more general.

I hope she's OK, I have a soft spot for oldies. Give her a scritch from me. :)