How to get a cat to play?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

How to get a cat to play?

Post by PeanutsFriend »

My sister in law has a Bengel cat that won't play. No matter the interactive play or privite play thing. No battery powered ones either. So some cats not want to play?
Jill
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: How to get a cat to play?

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I believe from what I've read that Bengals are VERY playful and active and take really well to going for walks in a harness and lead!
I've found that all of my cats, even the older more sedate ones, absolutely lose themselves with "Da Bird" - basically a long thin stick with about a metre of string on the end and a bunch of turkey feathers tied on to the end of the string. When you swish it around it flutters just like a bird or a big butterfly. They all just adore it.
If your sister's cat doesn't go for that I'm tempted to say that there actually are some cats who don't like to play, but it really would be very unusual, especially for a young cat.
A catnip toy might stimulate him or her, but not all cats react to catnip.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my Russian Blue has never shown much interest in play, and he's 13 now - the most he will do is stretch out a paw if Da Mouse or a laser beam comes near him - he runs away from Da Bird
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Has he always been like this? Check his eyesight and hearing. Also check whether he's stressed. A worried or frightened cat won't feel like playing.

If this is a recent development, it may be that he's ill, and needs to see a vet. Any slight changes in behaviour like this can be an indicator of ill health, as cats are extremely good at hiding illness and pain. Lily's general ill health and arthritis I'm sure takes the fun out of play for her, so that she almost never plays (that and her complete lack of any hunting instinct, and the fact that she is basically a bit dim!)
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

lilynmitz wrote:Has he always been like this? Check his eyesight and hearing. Also check whether he's stressed. A worried or frightened cat won't feel like playing.

If this is a recent development, it may be that he's ill, and needs to see a vet. Any slight changes in behaviour like this can be an indicator of ill health, as cats are extremely good at hiding illness and pain. Lily's general ill health and arthritis I'm sure takes the fun out of play for her, so that she almost never plays (that and her complete lack of any hunting instinct, and the fact that she is basically a bit dim!)
Oh good, this is good advice.
She might be stressed. She lives with five little dogs. That maybe the problem.
Next time i go to their house, I am taking a laser light and see if I can bring her personality out without anyone around.
She did injury her back. But that has been over a year. She has been to vet and chiropractor. Her health has improved, molibity. I told them to play with her to losen her up. they said she isn't and never has. This cat is only two.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Lyn from Australia wrote:I believe from what I've read that Bengals are VERY playful and active and take really well to going for walks in a harness and lead!
I've found that all of my cats, even the older more sedate ones, absolutely lose themselves with "Da Bird" - basically a long thin stick with about a metre of string on the end and a bunch of turkey feathers tied on to the end of the string. When you swish it around it flutters just like a bird or a big butterfly. They all just adore it.
If your sister's cat doesn't go for that I'm tempted to say that there actually are some cats who don't like to play, but it really would be very unusual, especially for a young cat.
A catnip toy might stimulate him or her, but not all cats react to catnip.
I took over a Da Bird first off. That is how I knew something was wrong with this cat.
Jill
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Kay wrote:my Russian Blue has never shown much interest in play, and he's 13 now - the most he will do is stretch out a paw if Da Mouse or a laser beam comes near him - he runs away from Da Bird
That was what I was wondering if some cats don't play. Might be this cats intelligent level is high than my gang.
Your cat too.
Jill
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Crikey, if she lives with FIVE small dogs, she is probably a nervous wreck! This isn't a happy place for a cat to live, and for a two year old not to be playing, she's probably on constant alert. It's possible that if she starts darting about and playing the dogs want to join in, which she would find frightening, so she's learnt not to do it. Any chance of her coming to live with you?
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

lilynmitz wrote:Crikey, if she lives with FIVE small dogs, she is probably a nervous wreck! This isn't a happy place for a cat to live, and for a two year old not to be playing, she's probably on constant alert. It's possible that if she starts darting about and playing the dogs want to join in, which she would find frightening, so she's learnt not to do it. Any chance of her coming to live with you?
I want her to. My sister in law puts her in a basement, when they go to work and when they sleep. I think cats should be with you all the time you are home. Basements are too cold. But good for the summer times.
I am going to see if I can bring a toy in my pocket, thus the laser toy and see if I can get the cat to come out in her.
Jill
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

This is a pretty miserable existence for this poor little cat. I suspect at best she's depressed, at worst she's just afraid. She probably hasn't had the chance to learn to play, having so little human contact and competing with five dogs. It will be an uphill struggle getting her to do so on occasional visits from yourself and in that environment. Seriously, and I hope I'm not getting out of line here, but I do wonder why your sister has a cat at all? This poor puss would be much happier living in a quieter home with far fewer dogs (or none at all) and where she's getting the right attention from someone who understands cats and doesn't just expect them to have the same needs and behaviours as a dog. They are psychologically entirely different creatures, and her needs almost certainly aren't being met in this environment, hence her withdrawn behaviour.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I agree.
I will look in on this. See what I can do.
Jill.