BARNEYS GREAT ESCAPE AND ODD BEHAVIOUR HELP PLEASE !!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

BARNEYS GREAT ESCAPE AND ODD BEHAVIOUR HELP PLEASE !!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Well having been toying with the idea of letting Barney discover outside our back garden, he decided to make his own decision today ! I could not find him anywhere in the house, when my hubby shouted out " he's lying in the sun on the patio "....My heart flipped, he had gotten himself out through a tiny gap in the door...heaven knows how ! .....he then proceeded to slopwly walk around the garden, with me in hot pursuit ! .......I bought him back in after about half hour....and now suddenly he is deciding to meow ! He never meows, unless he's hungry ...and is very quiet, other than his chirping, but since his venture outdoors, he seems to have discovered his voice......is this usual at all ?... He is inside now asleep on the sofa, so I will be introducing him slowly day by day to the garden...he loved chasing butterflys and lying in the sun, so I won't deprive him of it......but he meowed as soon as he got outside and again when I brought him back in, which is so unusual for him........x :(
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: BARNEYS GREAT ESCAPE AND ODD BEHAVIOUR HELP PLEASE !!

Post by Kay »

on the only occasion in 12 years Trigger escaped from the enclosed patio, I managed to grab him in a neighbour's garden after stalking him for half an hour - but he cried pitieously at the gate for a couple of hours afterwards, and I felt really sad I had to put a stop to his only foray into the wider world - but by the next day he seemed to have forgotten all about it

sometimes it's good cats only have little brains
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Kay, but he now seems to be meowing to go outside very often.......he really enjoyed himself lying on the patio and the grass....it's as though he suddenly found his voice.........though he is happy enough on the sofa at the moment fast asleep !!
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Oh - I do so sympathise with you Julie ... I was terrified to let our cat out into our garden when we brought him to his new home. Our garden is so very different from the one he'd been used to for 10 years (he was my mother's cat). As he was very much an outdoor cat I knew I'd have to bite the bullet sooner than the advice given of keeping him indoors for 2-3 weeks because he was driving us mad with his pitiful miaowing wanting to go outside.

I had to relent - and spent the next hour or more in a panic -especially when he jumped on top of the side gate and went out into the front garden. My mother's house was in a cul-de-sac with no traffic, whereas we live on a road where there are some cars occasionally passing by.

Don't know how old your cat is - ours was, at that time, 10 - and obviously had more wits about him than I had! Back he came after an hour or more - and I've hardly ever been more relieved in my life. From that time on, I knew he'd be ok. We now have a 'signal' ... when I want him to come in, I tap his food bowl with a spoon and within minutes, he returns from wherever he's been. Am still relieved to see him though!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Jan...thanks for replying...Barney is about 8-9 years old, we adopted him from Blue Cross when he was dumped there, he has been out a little today, again with me behind him and carrying him back in after a while !! I know I will eventually have to just 'let him go' as he loves being outdoors, and we live in a rural area with no main roads, so deep down, I know he is pretty safe, especially as our neighbours are cat lovers too....it just frightens the life out of me to take that final step ! I bought him a safety collar, with his address and my phone number tatooed on, and still I fret !......Like you, I just need to 'bite the bullett and let him do as he wants............x :(
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Julie, he's got a taste for it now :)

Don't worry. Although I know I'd be exactly the same. I think his new meowing at you is his way of talking to you. Afterall it is a big thing for Barney to be taking on the big outdoors. It's all so new to him and it's exciting too and he wants to tell you all about it. He's probably doing it for a bit of reassurance from you too. He is such a sweet boy.

You'll just need to decide whether he only has access to the garden for now when you are around. Whatever happens he is a very happy boy. Give him a big cuddle from me xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Carol.....fusses to HRHFluffy from us....I know I have to do it slowly, but it's so hard......I think that I am probably thinking of other things going on in the background for me, which is making it harder to just 'let him go' ..........he has had to soak up my tears so many times the last few weeks, thankfully, he loves being kissed and cuddled........x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I can fully understand that. I know you're going through a terrible time. It's hard to make these decisions at the best of times but when you're so upset and heartbroken it is so much worse. I'm glad that Barney is being a comfort to you. You can control his going in and out so that reduces your stress levels. He won't mind I'm sure. Just a little bit of freedom at a time and he'll be fine.

Sending big hugs to you Julie xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Carol......Mom starts her radiotherapy very soon.....she has appointment at 08:10 at Birmingham QE Hospital Tuesday, to be 'measured up' for where radiotherapy needs to be aimed, she will need to be up about 5 to make if for that time !......bearing in mind hospital is so far away from where she lives, they can't do it at local hospital, no idea why ........poor Barney has been soaked with my tears so many times, and still he biffs my face and licks my eyelids as I cry...it's unbelievable, I have had cats all my life, but none as receptive as he is...........xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I will be thinking of you Julie. What an early start that will be on Tuesday. I hope the radiotherapy goes well. I know it can be very effective. I'd forgotten about all the measuring up before the treatment starts. That was the case with my Dad. It completely tired him out. But the treatment worked so it was worth it. Hopefully this will be the case with your mom.

Your Barney is one in a million. What a sensitive and gorgeous boy he is. I'm so glad you found each other. His sensitive and loving nature often makes me have a tear in my eye. Lovely boy xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Carol......it is quite strange how close he has become to me, he clings to me so much since Mom was diagnosed, its as though he understand the hurt, I always awoke to find his paws around my wrist each morning in bed, know people will think it as just circumstance, but it's as though he 'knows' I am upset and is always beside me.....when I cry, he always puts his head n my face and licks my cheeks, it's uncanny sometimes, even my hubby comments on it and he is an absolute cynic..........whatever the reason, he has been a godsend to me the little fella...x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Julie, I've got a boy here who has meowed more this afternoon than in the four months he 's been with us because we let him out for a wander in the garden! Our cat proofing doesn't go up till Gridsy but Pepdi is allowed out because she can't jump the fences. OH has been feeling so sorry for Edgar not bring allowed out so we relented today but only with us close by his side. When he came in he meowed like crazy to go out again! Your boy is doing exactly the same. It doesn't mean they want to run away I'm sure. It's very scary though!

Thinking of you, Julie, at this hard time. Xx
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Hello Julie, I'm so very sorry your mum is ill and wish her so much luck in getting through her treatment easily and successfully.
Many cats are quite empathetic - I know for sure at least three of mine are (fortunately I've not yet had to "try out" any of the others). They may not know what is wrong, but they always know when something is! The last time I had a serious period of depression Lily and Poppy just wouldn't leave me alone, and often let me hug them closely for comfort.
I think you will find that you and Barney will have a special bond.
I fully understand your worry about him going outside - in my experience he probably will bug you for a day or two and then stop, and hopefully he won't be like my Summer, who would NOT be quiet until I gave in and gave her her freedom (except overnight). I can't imagine any cat being as bad as Summer, so hopefully you'll both soon sort something out.
Take care and try to trust Barney to have street sense and to be careful.
Sending you, mum and Barney good vibes from Australia xx