Cat licking concrete

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cat licking concrete

Post by emmab »

We (and the vet) have suspected for a while Grany has some illness but has been hard to tell what. His tests have shown FIP is negative but he has very high protein levels, enlarged lymph nodes in tummy and his kidneys are slight malformed, although the vet said this can happen in cats and does not necessarily mean a problem. However we do note he drinks a lot and has issues eating normal cat food. Yesterday I noticed he was licking the patio floor and this morning was licking the wall of the house which I understand is an anaemia problem maybe? He is going back tonight for a blood test and to see what they can do but has anyone come across this with their cats please? He has had weight loss of about 0.6 kilos in 2 months and both bloods have showed all is OK but the protein is very high. Surely kidney issues would show up on a blood test but how? He was tested for FIP as he had the signs of Fip and a small amount of fuid in his tummy although this was improved at his last appointment when they did a scan.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat licking concrete

Post by bobbys girl »

Not something I've come across, but certainly worth a mention to the vet. Are those surfaces concrete, or brick/ceramic? That might make a difference. Is it lime he's looking for or something else?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well the house is like a pebbledash so would of had a mouthful of that and the patio is a smooth stone so both very different surfaces. At first I thought there was something on the patio he was licking but when I saw him licking the wall and the fact he has history of something as well as the drinking. I am not sure how much cats drink either. I never see Gemo drink water but Grany goes to the bowl up to 7 times a day. He also drinks from the chicken coop water too which I think is a little excessive.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

It may be that there is something in the mineral composition of the patio and the wall that Grany is looking for. Limestone/calcium came to mind, but it could be iron? The extra water could be kidney related or even diabetes. I don't want to frighten you, I just want to give you some thoughts to run past the vet.

Sometimes you can be so close to a problem or health issue that you can't see the wood for the trees. With the right info a 'stranger' to the situation might say 'ah, I know what that is'.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well he had 2 blood counts done. Surely diabetes or kidney issues would get picked up with them? It mentioned high protein levels but not sure whether that relates to these illnesses or not. I will certainly mention it this evening.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

emmab wrote:Well he had 2 blood counts done. Surely diabetes or kidney issues would get picked up with them? It mentioned high protein levels but not sure whether that relates to these illnesses or not. I will certainly mention it this evening.
Kidney issues can be picked up through a blood test, but not always early stages - urine tests are more accurate for kidney and diabetes, has he had one of those? Licking odd things is called Pica and is normally related to anaemia - has he been tested for FIV/FeLV?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

booktigger wrote:
emmab wrote:Well he had 2 blood counts done. Surely diabetes or kidney issues would get picked up with them? It mentioned high protein levels but not sure whether that relates to these illnesses or not. I will certainly mention it this evening.
Kidney issues can be picked up through a blood test, but not always early stages - urine tests are more accurate for kidney and diabetes, has he had one of those? Licking odd things is called Pica and is normally related to anaemia - has he been tested for FIV/FeLV?
I did ask about FIV etc and they were certain it was PIF and that was negative. He has had 3 regular blood tests for creatine etc and it was just the protein that was very high. I am not sure they did a urine test. Can I take one in in a container if he weeks between now and his appointment? I think the anaemia (if it is that) is linked to the illness they are looking for? Stressed isn't the word atm. My poor little boy is not himself and trips to the gets are not helping him. I just want him to start having a happy life after such a poor start.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

emmab wrote:
booktigger wrote:
I did ask about FIV etc and they were certain it was PIF and that was negative. He has had 3 regular blood tests for creatine etc and it was just the protein that was very high. I am not sure they did a urine test. Can I take one in in a container if he weeks between now and his appointment? I think the anaemia (if it is that) is linked to the illness they are looking for? Stressed isn't the word atm. My poor little boy is not himself and trips to the gets are not helping him. I just want him to start having a happy life after such a poor start.
Yeah, just make sure it is a sterile container and you keep it in the fridge till you set off. There is normally a cause for anaemia, although not sure we ever found Buster's (the vet was more focused on something else wrong with the results, and a re-test was fine). Fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of it, and you can start having a 'normal' life with him. Interestingly, if by protein you are talking about Urea, a high Urea level with normal Creatnine can be indicative of infection, which could be linked to his anaemia - has he had any antibiotics?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

booktigger wrote:
emmab wrote:
booktigger wrote:
Yeah, just make sure it is a sterile container and you keep it in the fridge till you set off. There is normally a cause for anaemia, although not sure we ever found Buster's (the vet was more focused on something else wrong with the results, and a re-test was fine). Fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of it, and you can start having a 'normal' life with him. Interestingly, if by protein you are talking about Urea, a high Urea level with normal Creatnine can be indicative of infection, which could be linked to his anaemia - has he had any antibiotics?
He is on metrobactin every day atm. Hoping he has put a little weight on when he goes today and his lymph nodes have gone down. They are treating him atm as though it is or was a bacterial infection or similar, hence the metrobactin. The thirstiness has always been noted but is worse now and he sometimes sits near his water bowl.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I would definitely mention the thirst, wonder if the increase could be a side effect of the antibiotics
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

booktigger wrote:I would definitely mention the thirst, wonder if the increase could be a side effect of the antibiotics
Well we noted he was drinking a little more when we adopted him but maybe this is a little worse now. It could be the metrobactin has side effects. Roll on tonights appointment.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thinking about you and hoping you get some answers.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

fingers crossed for tonight x
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

RIP Grany. Such a brave boy who will always be in our hearts. We only had you 3 months but what a trully lovely cat you were. Sleep tight little boy x
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Oh no! Terribly sorry to read this. You did all you could for him. RIP Grany.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi so sorry about Grany. RIP little one. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh my God, Emma, what a shock! I am so sorry to hear the news. Rip Grany, sweet boy. ((hugs)) to you Emma x
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Oh, I'm so sorry to read this Emma. RIP sweet little Grany xx
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks all. It was not really a shock as we did know he was quite unwell and watched him lose so much weight etc but still don't know what it was. We had been watching him going down hill very quickly. His bloods and urine test came back with a whole host of issues including aneamia, protein issues etc and whilst it was possible for him to have a biopsy the vets between them knew how ill he was and his symptoms were just too much and showed that whatever he had would be life limiting. He was also not entirely convinced it wasn't FIP still. He was showing severe kidney failure and his lymph nodes were very enlarged. The vets could also see what a strain it was putting on us and made more sense for Grany to be put to sleep as he was clearly fatigued and unable to do much ie playing, going out etc. I cannot fault their work with Grany. He also said how unlucky we had been adopting a second cat from the SPA who also died within weeks of getting him due a terminal illness. He said he does not see many cats with such problems as Grany and it was quite rare to get such a poorly cat. We can take comfort that he is at peace now. The vet was sure he was not in any pain however said it would of been a matter of weeks before we would have lost him. We thought putting him through biopsies etc which endure too much stress when he already has had many trips to the vet since adoption and would ultimately still give us the same outcome.