Kitten with aggression problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten with aggression problems

Post by Lilith »

She'll get over it - but keep on apologising to her lol. Really talk to her, all the time, and especially if she swears at you, even if you don't intend to invade her space. (I know it can sound daft :oops: - the things we have to do for cats ...)

Lol Ruth, 'blunt head syndrome' - I think my Molly's got that, talk about leap before you look ...

Good luck with Yuki! :)
babblino
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by babblino »

Another update.

I've been with my fathers side of the family for two weeks now and have come back. Yuki has sweetened up to me again, I think she may have missed me. She's getting calmer as she's growing up and is better with being handled. I try to hold her in different ways but in short intervals so that she gets usedto being held and petted. I can lay her on her back and gently massage her belly for half a minute without getting bunny kicked or bitten, so I let her go and do it again later on. She seems to be slowly letting us hold her longer as we do that.

She does get intolerant when other people are over, but I'm pretty sure it's because she doesn't want to feel exposed around strangers so usually sleeps on the cat tree and doesn't want to be disturbed.

Her 'leave me alone' bites are more gentle aswell. Its just a touch with her tooth.

As for Kiska. It's baby steps. Their favorite thing is morsels of fish food. They always sit underneath me when I feed the fish hoping some will fall on the floor. It's the one time they sit close to one another with minimum growling from Kiska. Sometimes I'll even put a bit on two lids and treat them next to eachother, so they associate eachother positively. Kiska will still look up and growl at Yuki but she's usually too occupied and will go back to eating the flakes.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hey that sounds like a great improvement, yes could well be that Yuki's missed you, and the relationship with Kiska sounds good as well - food can be a great ice-breaker. Long may it continue - congrats :D
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Sounds like things are going well.

As far as strangers go, most cats don't seem as keen on humans visiting as us humans are, I think it is something to do with them invading their territory. I have only had one cat that really didn't care if people visited and quite enjoyed the extra attention, and that was Blue, my old Ragdoll. I still remember a poor Cat Protection rep trying to do a home check with pen and clip board trying to ask the questions and write the answers down with Blue sat on the sofa next to her constantly headbutting her hand as he wanted attention.
babblino
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by babblino »

Aww :) Yuki is funny with strangers. She loves on them initially but I think she gets tired of them because she's always following around new people and soliciting attention but an hour or so later she'll hiss at them. Not in an aggressive manner but more of a "give me space" sort of way. We had a similar situation where the landlords wife came in to check on the house and Yuki was apparently following her everywhere. The wife was a fan lol. Kiska on the other hand will run and hide, only to come and investigate later.