Is this a good food?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Is this a good food?

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Are Sheba pouches good food to be feeding?

Marg.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Is this a good food?

Post by Ruth B »

As far as I know it is as good as any supermarket brand. It is a complete cat food so includes all the vitamins and trace elements that a cat needs. It doesn't look like it has a particularly high protein content (only about 8% I normally look for 12-14%) and some do mention that they contain cereals which isn't always good for cats.

In the end there is better out there and there is worse out there, mine won't touch it, but if yours are happy eating it then it should be fine.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Mine love Sheba pouches. I basically feed them what they like in wet and dry, and buy a variety of different types, Whiskas, Gourmet, Felix and many other types, so they don’t get bored, plus they get some of our left overs, chicken, fish etc. We have ferals, who’ve always eaten the same food as our resident cats, and they seem pretty fit and healthy well in their teens now.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by AndyMac »

My cat will eat the Sheba pouches now and then - she can be fussy and seems to like the beef or turkey but not the chicken. I have tried her with the Sheba trays and again its hit or miss whether she will eat them. They have a very pungent smell compared to other cat food.

Tesco have started to do a new cat food product which seems to have to consistency and smell of Sheba:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /298345026
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Bobby loved the Sheba beef trays - they have stopped making them! :roll: It is getting harder to find Sheba pouches in the old style packaging. I would buy them now and again just for some variety. They are OK nutrition wise. Big thing is my lot will eat them!

But buyer beware - I have noticed that the old 12×85g are being replaced with the new 'improved' variety 8×50g. It appears to be cheaper but when compared weight for weight it is MUCH more expensive - sneaky very sneaky :x ! There does not appear to be any noticeable difference in the recipe.

AndyMac - mine won't touch Tesco (or Asda) own brands. Picky little beggars! :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I've just about given up on all the cat food sold in supermarkets, having tried out the tins of Bozita and Animonda Carny sold by Bitiba and Zooplus - both are grain-free and contain no sugars, and also a lot less of the jelly which most popular cat foods bulk out the meat with, and because they need less of it it's cheaper than pouches

my two outdoor cats really like this tinned stuff, and my two indoor Gourmet Gold addicts are gradually coming round to it, as long as I mash it up with some water

I must say I like tins too, as they are 'greener' than unrecyclable pouches
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by AndyMac »

bobbys girl wrote:Bobby loved the Sheba beef trays - they have stopped making them! :roll: It is getting harder to find Sheba pouches in the old style packaging. I would buy them now and again just for some variety. They are OK nutrition wise. Big thing is my lot will eat them!

But buyer beware - I have noticed that the old 12×85g are being replaced with the new 'improved' variety 8×50g. It appears to be cheaper but when compared weight for weight it is MUCH more expensive - sneaky very sneaky :x ! There does not appear to be any noticeable difference in the recipe.

AndyMac - mine won't touch Tesco (or Asda) own brands. Picky little beggars! :lol:
These are not Supermarket own brand but Hi Life brand. I got a box on Saturday of the chicken/beef and my cat ate it.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

AndyMac - same difference - they won't touch that either! Mind you, they are not that struck on the expensive ones (Royal Canin, JWB)

Zooplus postage to NI is eye-wateringly high! Cheaper to come over and pick it up. :lol: :lol:
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

It really depends on what day of the week it is and what mood our little prince is in, if he eats Sheba or not!!! As a feeder rather than an eater, I always think the Gourmet range looks better...but what the hell would a human like me know

xx