Cat Having Possible Fits Or Is It Fleas

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
pe10021
New Cat Chatter

Cat Having Possible Fits Or Is It Fleas

Post by pe10021 »

We have two 15 yr old house cats and because they don't go out we have never really needed to bother with flea treatment. One of our cats is a Manx and on the one or two occasions she has picked up a flea at the cattery it has always really really bothered her with fur pulling out etc even when it was a very mild case. We have just moved to a new house and they have unfortunately picked up fleas from the house as previous owners had a dog. We have seen a number of them in the lounge carpet, have fumigated the house twice and are just about to do our 3rd treatment of Advocate spot-on and have another go at fumigation.

We are now quite worried about our Manx cat (other cat seems in general to be ok) She appears to be having fits almost, for example falling off furniture and thrashing around on her back maybe 1-2 times a day, sometimes weeing on the floor as a result. We initially thought it was due to the fleas (I think she probably still has some), then perhaps a reaction to the flea treatment and now we are wondering if something else is wrong. It seems in part (but not always) linked to a very sensitive spot on her back, if you go anywhere near there is a chance she will have one of these "fits" so we can't even groom her properly to look for fleas. I have now taken her to the vet who actually saw a "fit" and was quite concerned as to why she would be having such an extreme reaction to being touched in that spot so we are taking her in for sedation and some X-Rays.

I just wanted to ask for experience of the forum - have you ever seen such an extreme reaction to fleas or do you think there must be something else going on?

Also re. house fumigation, any recommendations on the best type/brand.

Thanks
pe10021
New Cat Chatter

Re: Cat Having Possible Fits Or Is It Fleas

Post by pe10021 »

Just in case anyone was to open this and interested in the outcome. X-Rays suggest it is a spinal problem, quite possibly a longstanding one but perhaps exacerbated by her reaction to the fleas. Current plan is to give her some painkillers and antibiotics to see if it helps.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Oh gosh best wishes for the best possible outcome. Sorry for not responding, most likely like everyone else I was certainly baffled and didn't think fleas could provoke something like that.
paranoidcatmom
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by paranoidcatmom »

I hope your kitty is doing better!!!! So scary