Radioactive iodine treatment AFTER thyroidectomy

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
puzzcat
New Cat Chatter

Radioactive iodine treatment AFTER thyroidectomy

Post by puzzcat »

Hi all,
My cat is 12 and has already had one thyroid lobe removed in a thyroidectomy (lobectomy).
She recovered well but recently showed T4 levels of 100, so needs further treatment.

I am taking her for I-131 radioactive iodine treatment in 10 days.
I wanted to do this in the first place but the vet closed during lockdown and she was in a bad way so needed urgent treatment.

Has anyone had experience with this situation before? I know about ectopic tissue and the 2 different types of tumors but we don't know which hers is because vet didn't send lobe for a histopathology grrrr.

I have to choose between giving her a low dose (80) or high (100).
She had a BAD reaction to medication for hyperthyroidism (methimazole).
Unfortunately, she started scratching her face badly and made it bleed (excoritation).
If she has the high dose, there is a risk of hypothyroidism.
Low dose might not sort it out because she has such a high T4 count. BUT I can take her for another dose if necessary.
I am in New Zealand and they can NOT do a scintigraphy here :(

Just curious if anyone has been through this situation and what happened?
Thanks
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Radioactive iodine treatment AFTER thyroidectomy

Post by Mollycat »

Wow that's a lot to deal with!

Seems a lot to put a cat through surgery with all the associated risks while already waiting for I131. I know it's done now but did the vet even talk with you about other meds, or Hills y/d? Anyway, it's done now and you are where you are and can only go from here.

We went through the I131 last year in April. Molly's uncontrolled T4 was 70+ and controlled with the diet I didn't stick to religiously this immediately came down to 30. She is unpillable so we had no choice about management while waiting for treatment. Knowing that 70% of cats need a second operation plus then meds for life, and 30% have that extra material in the chest and end up at I131 anyway, for us it was a no-brainer. I do totally agree with your choice, it's the gold standard treatment - I'm just not sure I understand your vet insisting on the surgery first. My own vet has a HT cat that has had the second surgery and is HT for the third time.

There is a lot about radioiodine treatment on this forum, notably these two threads viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6300&hilit=i131 and viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5958&p=44314&hilit=i131#p44314 which make a lot of reading material but it's really helpful. My experience is pretty much all on the first one about Mouse do I won't repeat it here. Whilst it's an expense I will still be paying for until the end of next year and a trauma I would not care to repeat, it is absolutely definitely worthwhile and if any future cat of mine gets that diagnosis I would do it all again.

The vet hospital I used which is thankfully local to me is Langford, a world renowned centre owned by the University of Bristol (UK). My problem was Molly's psychological issues which they didn't fully appreciate. If your girl is ok with being handled and has stayed in a cattery before, it really is very simple and straightforward. Langford chose not to do scintigraphy but they did do a battery of tests that cost more than the treatment itself over 2 days, 4 weeks before the treatment, which included full chest and abdominal x-rays, scans, detailed bloods, uninalysis and more. The report I got back included blood pressure details, liver enzymes which were elevated more than they should have been for HT, as well as any bone changes and those all important eye and heart changes. Molly came back a much more chilled cat and thank goodness her appetite and weight are now much more normal.

They also didn't check for malignancy for two reasons. First, only 2-5% of thyroid tumours are cancerous. Second, it's quite simple, if it is cancer it won't respond to treatment and a very high dose with much longer in isolation will be needed to deal with it.

The other thing I don't understand is why you have to choose the dose and why it's 80 or 100 and nothing in between. Langford calculate the precise dose and order it individually for every patient. The assessment is done with the HT controlled, then the treatment is done uncontrolled so I had to take Molly off her diet and give her normal food for 2 weeks before treatment.

T4 is often still high or goes low post treatment but it takes time for the cat's system to settle. I don't know if the same applies with surgery but 4 months seems a short time between surgery and radioiodine if it does apply.
puzzcat
New Cat Chatter

Re: Radioactive iodine treatment AFTER thyroidectomy

Post by puzzcat »

Hi Mollycat,

Thanks for that reply!

I only just saw this because I didn't see a notification and I'm a bit sick myself right now (with shingles!)

I know it's a bit confusing. We opted for the surgery first because she had a BAD reaction to the medication and was scratching her face until it was bleeding everywhere, she also went downhill fast when we stopped the meds so we weren't sure she would be in a fit state for iodine treatment after the required 10 days off meds. She was booked for I-131 treatment but we went into full lockdown and everything got cancelled. The vet that does it closed completely. Our regular vet, who doesn't offer I-131 was able to get her in for surgery though, before everything closed so we went for that. She improved greatly after surgery so we thought it was all sorted.

She was drinking a lot of water recently, so we thought maybe she had kidney issues but when we took her for a blood test, they found her T4 levels were high again.
She is booked in for iodine next week and I'm crossing everything, hoping we don't go into lockdown before it again.
The two different doses are just the way they do it here. They have to order the medication in from Australia etc. and I think vets get what's left after humans use it. I don't fully understand that part. I'm opting for the lower dose and if she is still high after, will consider treating again.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)