Old cat and new cat struggles

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
GoyangiMiKki
New Cat Chatter

Old cat and new cat struggles

Post by GoyangiMiKki »

So I've had my big boy Fezzy for 10 years. He's 12. He's sort of always have had behavioral issues. I think he was a street cat for quite a bit before I adopted him. I love him to pieces, but he requires patience sometimes for sure. He loves to run around, play rough, he's not very much into being pet unless he's really relaxed. He's also sadly been abused by two previous roommates of mine..(long story.), so he's kind of edgy with anyone he comes in contact with. Overall though, he's a very loving cat with a really fun personality and I adore him.

I made the decision to adopt a 1 year old female cat recently. I've had her for a week now. She is a DOLL. A complete lap kitty. She likes to sleep on you, and that's about it. She's not into playing or anything. Haru is kind of a living stuffed animal. lol

Now I knew introducing them was not going to be easy, but after the first day, they were doing really well together. The first couple of nights Haru would sleep by my head and Fezzy would sleep by my feet. Fezzy would kind of intimidate her when she'd use the litter box, but nothing serious. And also for the most part I have been home with them to monitor them. Two nights was the best night yet. Haru was trying to play with Fezzy and he even licked her face!

Now... Yesterday I was out the entire day and didn't separate them when I was gone. I think I made a big mistake. Haru has been hiding in my closet all day. Fezzy has growled and tried to attack her a few times. I can't get her to come out and sit with me. I feel like I screwed up whatever bonding they were forming somehow. She is terrified of him and he is angry at me. I live in a studio apartment, but I could separate them from the kitchen and bedroom.

Any tips how to get them adjusted together? I feel like I lost all the progress I made between them after one day of being out! I know it could take weeks/months, but any advice would be great! Thank you!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Old cat and new cat struggles

Post by Mollycat »

Hello and welcome.

You commented on another topic that your cat is not "fully" neutered - you have an older male and young female - not neutering could be a source of "misunderstandings" between them?

I'm a little confused, has the girl been with you just 3 days? The introduction process would have them completely separate at this stage, not even met yet. The new cat would be isolated in one room to settle in and get used to a new place and new people before starting step by step towards actually meeting the resident cat. I would separate them completely and start from "scratch".